Author Topic: I'm playing a game on easy... and I'm not ashamed.  (Read 2421 times)

I'm playing a game on easy... and I'm not ashamed.
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:00:48 pm »
I recently started playing The Last of Us Remastered and I found myself replaying a few spots several times just because I kept dying. Now I'm not the best gamer in the world but I'm not terrible either, normally I would just keep playing the same part over and over again till I eventually got it, but I kinda had an epiphany last night. I'm old(ish) now and I just don't have the time to devote to games like I used to, if I keep replaying the same stuff over again I'm just wasting time. I went ahead and dropped the difficulty level and I'm really ok with it. I'm able to keep a consistent pace and the story isn't being interrupted by me dying like 10 times. The game is almost more enjoyable now! I think going forward when I play any of these more "cinematic" games, I'm just going to start right off on easy. In the end I'm really playing these games for the story anyway.

Re: I'm playing a game on easy... and I'm not ashamed.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 04:12:53 pm »
Nothing wrong with that.  Play however you want that makes the game fun.  I generally only play games on normal and almost never play on tougher difficulties, because the harder challenges rarely offer value to the experience for doing so.  I'm thinking of going easy mode on Alien: Isolation though.  I've tried to get through it twice and it's not that it's specifically hard or overtly challenging, I just find aspects of the game frustrating and would rather just get through the game to experience it all, rather than letting it languish in my Steam backlog.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:20:09 pm »
Play however you want that makes the game fun.

Pretty much exactly what I thinking. For games like Last of Us I'm playing for the story, not really the challenge so easy mode is cool. But on games like Tropical Freeze I'm gonna keep it on what ever the default difficulty is, those are the types of games you play for the challenge of the game, not the story.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:53:57 pm »
Git gud scrub

Filthy casual

Do u even dark sulz?

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:00:47 pm »
This only is a problem (edit) or a good thing on games with multiple endings some games you need to play on hard in order to end the game on a positive story line. otherwise playing on easy your story will not end well for your character.

I also play on easy for most video games, but in games I am used to all the controls. usually on sports games I am decent at I will boost up the difficulty to medium. But yea some games you can't see the full game unless you start on the hard difficulty. I have completed "True Crimes Streets Of LA" but I almost always ended up with the poor ending, I only got the average ending once where I defeated the final  (assuming)  boss and died the same time as the boss.

But that was using upgrade cheats. (back when I used to use cheats) I used to love True Crimes Streets Of LA but without the upgrades cheat I always ended the game with the bad ending all the time on both the Gamecube and PlayStation 2 so far I never ended the game with the good ending.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:49:32 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:13:54 pm »
Nothing wrong with that.  Play however you want that makes the game fun.

This. I also often play in easy mode when i only want to enjoy the story (and maybe go for another round in a harder difficulty if i liked the game and if i'm confident about it). So yeah nothing to be ashamed if you are having fun playing a game the way you want.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 08:04:19 pm »
im older to never really thought of it that way before but makes senese to me less aggravation i guess

kypherion

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 08:38:20 pm »
I wouldn't feel ashamed either. Do what you want man, the whole point of playing games is to enjoy them.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:55:53 pm »
I wouldn't feel ashamed either. Do what you want man, the whole point of playing games is to enjoy them.

It was more of a self realization than anything. Playing games on an easier difficulty has a certain stigma to it (see seether's comment above); but like you said the point of games is to enjoy them, It's just kinda nice realizing that I'm playing the games for me, not anyone else. So why not play them at a level that lets me play them at a better pace and enjoy more of them!

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 12:23:15 am »
While I prefer just playing on the default difficulty, I'm not afraid to lower it a bit when I'm experiencing enough trouble that it hampers my enjoyment. I've got too many games in my backlog to be tied up with a boss that deals out pure bullshit.

In fact, I rarely play any games on a harder difficulty because in almost all cases, a higher difficulty setting doesn't increase the challenge, but just the bullshit. When enemies become damage sponges and your character becomes about as resilient as a wet paper bag, it's not fun, just frustrating and time-consuming.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 09:08:42 am »
Games are meant to be fun. Play how you want; nothing to be ashamed of.

I've lowered the difficulty for some games so I could get through an annoying obstacle or battle. On the other hand, I've increased the difficulty because some games were actually too easy and I wanted to have more a challenge.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 10:13:35 am »
I typically play single player games on Easy. I don't care about good endings or achievements.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 12:35:59 pm »
When achievements are involved, I do go at least to Normal. But otherwise, I often do play a game on easy. I'm not looking for a great challenge, just some entertainment.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 11:57:08 pm »
The taboo against these modes always was quite silly in my opinion-why have features of a game you're just not allowed to use? They're there for a reason, letting people customize the experience to suit them means everyone can enjoy it.

Also, while we're on the subject-easy mode punishments like bad endings are absolute bullshit. If you need to jump onto the higher diffuculty to get the real experience, it makes having such options entirely redundant.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 12:30:03 am »
No need to be ashamed. While I dont play on Easy, there has been a part of me that has wanted to because life gets in the way and at times I dont feel compelled to get my ass handed to me more than times than I should.