Author Topic: How Many Bought A Game New & It's Now Worth More Then Purchase Price  (Read 2358 times)

I can't think of anything personally but I wanted to leave more text than a question mark
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:27:19 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

tpugmire

Re: How Many Bought A Game New & It's Now Worth More Then Purchase Price
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 04:42:03 pm »
I bought Earthbound on clearance back in the day for like $40
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 04:45:38 pm »
Most if not all of these are probably worth more than their original price tag.  I'm the original owner of these games, which were purchased between 1988 and 2001.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:04:54 pm »

I've heard a lot of stories similar to this regarding Earthbound. I know a local collector who bought his for $20 out of a clearance bin at Walmart in the late 90s. He said there were about 15 of them when he bought his. Anyone have a time machine they want to lend me?

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 05:07:19 pm »
i bought DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on the PS2 from a independent game store brand new for $20 back in 2010. It's not new anymore, but the game is worth like $60 from what I understand.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 05:17:39 pm »

I've heard a lot of stories similar to this regarding Earthbound. I know a local collector who bought his for $20 out of a clearance bin at Walmart in the late 90s. He said there were about 15 of them when he bought his. Anyone have a time machine they want to lend me?

If you were to spend a shy 100$ on apple or even the more recently bit coin you would have been a millionaire or could have been stinking rich with a pretty low investment. These kinds of things like earthbound are just pocket money for a vacation a car etc no real life chancers but a nice amount of cash absolutely.

I just find it funny that allot of people in this hobby only think about games for some fast cash while you could have way better investments if you go that far back in time. Things that actually make a difference, That's just me though ::)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:34:33 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 05:35:02 pm »
Don't forget to include inflation

ferraroso

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 06:41:09 pm »
I think that a lot of my Master System games from the mid-90's are worth much more than what they cost back in the day.
And a more recent game would be Chaves Kart (the Brazilian version of the Mexican El Chavo Kart) for the PS3 that I bought for the equivalent of US$20.00, but that currently seems to be going for a lot more than that.

rayne315

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 06:50:10 pm »
pretty much anyone who has bought any of the early LRG releases have more value now. Breach and clear sold for $25-30 and it has dipped WAY down to $100 for a sealed one.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 07:50:11 pm »

If you were to spend a shy 100$ on apple or even the more recently bit coin you would have been a millionaire or could have been stinking rich with a pretty low investment. These kinds of things like earthbound are just pocket money for a vacation a car etc no real life chancers but a nice amount of cash absolutely.

I just find it funny that allot of people in this hobby only think about games for some fast cash while you could have way better investments if you go that far back in time. Things that actually make a difference, That's just me though ::)
I think you enjoy being a contrarian at any opportunity you can find.

No one is talking about freakin stocks or investments, and yeah, no shit if someone had a time machine they'd probably be buying up $20 google stock rather than trying to find Panzer Dragoon Saga for $60 at EB Games. Given that time travel does not exist (as far as we know) of course I'm not being serious. I don't think many on here would shy away from a stack of $20 brand new Earthbounds no matter what year it was.

Jesus man, lighten up...

aliensstudios

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 07:55:52 pm »
Yes I have. Many of the Limited Run Games from last year are worth more now. I also bought several Wii U games that are worth more now than when they were new. Some games stay even, some drop in price.

Though, I don't buy a game because I think I can sell it for profit, I buy it because I want to play it or own it. I've really rarely thought about this exact topic in a year or so.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 09:53:25 pm »
I am surprisingly bad at picking out titles with long-term value, really. I think of the stuff I got brand new, only my Lunar sets have gained value. I guess Xenogears & Zelda: Minish Cap too, but only becuase I never bothered to open them.

Luckily, I don't buy a lot of brand-new games, so I'm not really down for value... but I'm certainly not beat MSRP on most of my stuff.

stealthrush

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 10:55:17 pm »
I held on to a handful of my childhood games that are exceed their original price
  • Mega Man 7
  • Kirby's Dream Land 3
  • Tales of Destiny
  • Silhouette Mirage (PS1)
  • Bangai-O! (DC)
  • Tech Romancer
  • Cannon Spike
  • Gotcha Force
also Cubivore (bought used around 2000) and Team Buddies (bought used around 2000)

The rest I've sold, traded in for new games at the time mostly NES, SNES, and some SAT games. A few PS1 and DC also sold but they did not exceed the original purchase price.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 11:00:43 pm »
Breath of the Wild Master Edition.  If it was untouched, it sells for like twice what I bought it for.

soera

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 12:35:15 am »
Almost all of my PS1 titles I bought off the shelf. Although at the time, I wish I had bought them all. I still remember leaving a copy of Vanguard bandits on the shelf. It was clearanced out to $4. I just got my copy and left the other.