Author Topic: Do you buy Mulitplayer Focused Games just to play the Single-Player Campaign?  (Read 3612 times)

I do actually, I own most the mainline CoD games on PS2, PS3 & PS4 - But I never buy them upon release. The majority of them I got a year or two again as they're cheap. But I didn't get them for online but jsut to enjoy the campaign. As CoD BO4 has removed its campaign I have zero interest in picking it up in the future.

Another big appeal is these games have Co-op but on the earlier PS3 titles the Co-op was absymal - World At War was pretty much unplayable due to cropped screens and the game struggling to run.

I agree with the appeal of a 4-6 hour campaign, sometimes it's nice to have abnd at a budget price I am happy to gather them.

kypherion

Not a lot but I did it for Halo.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

ferraroso

I often do this, but since these kinds of games usually see a new release every year, I wait until them to become cheap in order to buy them.
For example, I just got Battlefield 1 a couple of weeks ago for the equivalent to US$8,00 and it was pretty worth the price!

I'll have to say I'm a no. I buy them, rarely, when I think I can get a friend to jump on with me. Retro stuff is a good example. I have loads of beatem ups that I buy on the off chance someone comes over and just really wants to play Turtles 2 for the NES. But I struggle to play them alone for more than a few levels.

A recent example is Splatoon. I have tossed and turned about getting this game. I still haven't pulled the trigger (no pun intended). I just don't have any friends with a Switch. I've heard good things about the Story modes, and the Salmon Run mode looks like a blast. I just don't think I would enjoy it with all the other games to be played. The price will never go down either as a Nintendo 1st party :(

I do pick up games from like 2 generations ago when they are super cheap, but rarely to actually play through the campaigns, more so just to experience the games themselves.

Sure, when they're bottom dollar.  I finally bought most of the CoD and Battlefield games just so I can play through the story mode at some point, those games got dirt cheap lately.

Yep, definitely agree with this. Now is a good time to get them since they're all on sale.
This.  I’ll happily pay $5 for a decent 5-10 hour shooter campaign.  Usually don’t regret it.

gf78

Living in the sticks of Missouri, up until 2011 there was no high-speed internet option where I live. I had Hughesnet, but wouldn't wish that on the worst forum troll. In 2011, Big River started putting up LTE towers for wireless internet. I've paid through the nose since then for it, with a whopping 7mbps down, 1.5mbps up.  ::)  But as long as I kick the kids off first, I can play online.

Most FPS I bought for the single player mode. Hell, before 2011 I couldn't play online anyway!  Even now with a few exceptions like the first Destiny and Plants vs. Zombies, I dont play much online. I've played every Call of Duty up until Black Ops IIII, and since Activision decided to omit the single player campaign,  they can kiss my hairy ass. $110 for a stripped-down online dude-bro shooter with a $50 season pass for some crappy map packs?  No thanks.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

I was re-reading this topic and had no idea that Call Of Duty Black Ops 4 had no single player campaign, that is unusual for Activision, most times Activision were always known for their game quality, well, looks like I won't be ever getting Black Ops 4. More recently I purchased Call Of Duty 2 for the Xbox360, and Call Of Duty Black Ops 2, and Call Of Duty Black Ops 3 for Xbox360, I however had a lot of copies of Black Ops 1 for the PlayStation 3 that had disc rot.

I still had not ever played an online COD match, and have no interest in doing so.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telekill

I generally won't bother with a game unless it has a single player mode in it. I think the last time I did that was Warhawk (PS3). Loved the game, but really hoped that they would eventually add a single player mode. They had a training bit, but no campaign. Very sad.

I was re-reading this topic and had no idea that Call Of Duty Black Ops 4 had no single player campaign, that is unusual for Activision, most times Activision were always known for their game quality, well, looks like I won't be ever getting Black Ops 4. More recently I purchased Call Of Duty 2 for the Xbox360, and Call Of Duty Black Ops 2, and Call Of Duty Black Ops 3 for Xbox360, I however had a lot of copies of Black Ops 1 for the PlayStation 3 that had disc rot.

I still had not ever played an online COD match, and have no interest in doing so.

Black Ops 3 for Xbox 360 is Multiplayer only as well (Unless you count a sparse zombie mode you can play solo). Only the XB1/PS4 versions had the campaign included.

I have only seen Disc rot once in my life, and that was a game I quickly returned to gamestop. Certainly doesn't seem like a widespread problem.

Suprised nobody mentioned titanfall 2 yet, that game had the best campaign in a fps in quite a while imo. Well worth spending 10 bucks on or for whatever you can buy it these days.

Sticking to the topic yes i do buy them from time to time but i pick them up usually a few years down the line when the price is cheap. It's  fun to sit trough a campaign of a couple of hours in one sitting (on a rainy saturday evening) every once in a while.
I'm mostly a gears and halo guy tough.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:30:55 am by kazumn »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Does Halo count? I love the Halo campaigns, very sci-fi. I don't even bother with multiplayer.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Yep! At one time I only played the single player but now it's a little of both I don't care for online only games.

covfefe2020

I think its going to end up that way. I´m just getting into the ps3 and its the only console I can play the COD games on. Ill probably play through the campaigns just to see what all of the commotion was about. I dont think theres any servers for GTA games anymore either.
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020

I think its going to end up that way. I´m just getting into the ps3 and its the only console I can play the COD games on. Ill probably play through the campaigns just to see what all of the commotion was about. I dont think theres any servers for GTA games anymore either.

I personally enjoy all the Call Of Duty single player campaigns that is the only reason why I play them, Most of the single player campaigns in Call of Duty games, you fight along side coop bots, aka computer controlled allies, and the games I've played are balanced out, so they are fun. However most of the time the game lets you shoot down the enemies yourself to make you feel like a badass. So it never gets old, for me on single player campaigns.

The key to success is to keep pushing forward keep ducked and hidden and keep moving and, paying attention, listen to your orders from your allies. if you don't keep moving and shooting you will get a grenade on your ass, and die.

Call of duty is not like Halo or Doom, since you have help from the computer controlled allies 99% of the entire campaign. But like I said, you do most of the work yourself.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:52:33 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

covfefe2020

Did you just explain what a bot is to me
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020