Author Topic: For the first time in a while, I'm considering getting a flashcart...  (Read 1260 times)

I've been collecting for a while now, and the whole time I've told myself I'm not going to do the flashcart/everdrive thing and only collect the real things.. But today I ran into an issue and its got me kinda rethinking my rule. I grabbed my copy of Golden Sun for the GBA off the shelf, popped it and started playing it. This would my first time playing the game, I've always heard great things about the game and being a huge RPG fan I was really excited to get it started. So I'm playing through the intro and like most RPGs this takes a while and you generally have to sit through a bit of story before you get a chance to save. I finally get to the point where I can save and I get a strange error telling me it cant find the backup memory or something like that. At this point I'm thinking no big deal, I've run into dead batteries before and havent had any issues replacing them, I'll just heat up the soldering iron and take care of it real quick; but when I cracked the cart open... there was no battery. At first I thought maybe someone put a bootleg board in there, but it checks out. Golden Sun used flash memory, no battery need. It turns out sometimes the flash memory just goes bad. I did some research and everyone just says to buy a new copy.

I could just go on ebay and buy another copy... but who's to say that game won't suffer from the same issue at some point. I'm sitting here looking at my collection, wondering how many of these awesome games might have issues down the road.. I knew that physical media wouldn't last forever, but this is legitimately the first game I've run into that didn't work and wasn't just something that was dirty or scratched. I have no plans to stop collecting physical media... but it might be time to start thinking about alternative methods of playing my games.

So with all that said, what are you thoughts on flashcarts, roms, backup media?

Re: For the first time in a while, I'm considering getting a flashcart...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 04:55:24 pm »
You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy the Sith, not join them. You were supposed to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness.

pzeke

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:00:59 pm »
Personally, I often prefer playing games through emulation, even if I own them, and actually have an R4 and am considering expanding to other flashcarts in the near future. So in all honesty, I see no problem with this approach, especially when used as a way to backup your games. Your current situation with Golden Sun is another perfect example of why a flashcart works.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dreama1

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 06:07:02 pm »
It's only a issue with rpgs.

gf78

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 06:58:17 pm »
Ran into a similar problem with Super Smash Bros  3DS which I bought new  Game icon on the screen, prompted to download update file. Then, nothing. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Still a no go. Uninstalled, reinstalled while disconnected from my wifi so it wouldn't try to update. Nope.

Nintendo told me the cart went bad and pretty much there was nothing they could do. Well, I took care of it. Returned it to Wally World and got a new copy.

But the fact that the game was bad, especially when carts are expected to last has been burned into my brain. I often wonder if other games will crap out on me.

So I see no problem with using flash carts, ROMs, emulators, etc.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 12:42:28 am »
They are pretty convenient especially if you want to play on original hardware which is why I got them but for the reasons you made, this would help alot.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 04:21:05 am »
Absolutely nothing wrong with rom carts.  A lot of old games are too costly or not guaranteed to work and if you just want to play something, it's the most convenient way possible, especially since a lot of this old stuff isn't easily available nowadays.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 02:45:39 pm »
I ended up snagging a R4i Gold 3DS Plus and an EZ Flash Omega. plan on loading up roms of every GB/GBC/GBA and DS game I own.

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 03:57:44 pm »
choice.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

kypherion

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:49:19 pm »
Been using a flashcart (R4) on my DS since I was little. You can do DS, NES, SNES, Sega genesis etc. and it's awesome. I would definitely recommend.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"