Author Topic: job help  (Read 3543 times)

htimreimer

job help
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:08:15 am »
i am 17 and for looking for a job and i am looking for some advice

I have to narrow it down to three jobs gamestop,wal-mart and best buy

the reason i am asking for advice is that this will my first job and i have mild cerebral palsy that means back pain and that cant lift more then
15 to 25 pounds i have experience being volunteer for 4 years

which one would be the best choice for me

darko

Re: job help
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 10:14:41 am »
Well, assuming some lifting would be involved at Wal-Mart or Best Buy, I would say you're kind of stuck with Gamestop. Best Buy would be my choice if I had those three to choose from, but I've never worked at any of them.

I opened/ran a coffee shop/venue for my first job and was later a waiter at a local restaurant. Being a waiter was a lot of fun but that was probably because I was working with a lot of my friends.

If you're strictly after a paycheck I would look into being a bank teller. It's not difficult and you get paid pretty well depending on which bank you're working for. When I was in college I was a teller for 2.5 years (mostly because I was bored with school and partying) and I was paid ~ $14/hour.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:23:45 am by darko »

madmax

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:27:20 am »
Gamestop is probably your best bet. I wouldn't rule out best buy if your able to work on the floor and sell at stuff. If you've volenteered for 4 years your resume will be good for a 17 year old. As asked before, are you after a paycheck or a good job?

htimreimer

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:36:36 am »
are you after a paycheck or a good job?

a little bit of both but if i can get that a good job

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:57:16 am »
GameStop sounds like a good choice. I managed a GameStop for years and left a bit jaded but for a part time gig, it isn't all that bad. If nothing else you get to hang out with gamers and chat about games all day. If you work in a good store, it really isn't even work.

soera

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:16:25 am »
Id back the Game stop option too. Walmart is probably out of the question with the lifting issue. Best Buy could have areas you could work (such as the game section or the Cd/Dvd area) but there are spots in there where stuff is definitely heavier. At Gamestop, you should almost never have a lifting issue. And you would have access to all the cool standees and what not.

Im actually considering getting another job soon myself.

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:30:10 am »
If you work in a good store, it really isn't even work.

which one would be the good store?

i am thinking of the one in the the cornwall mall the biggest mall in regina if not the biggest one in saskatchewan because its a one way bus ride 

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 11:33:57 am »
I'm not familiar with your area so I have no clue. A good store is usually just depends on the other employees. If they are cool and you think you'd fit in, apply there.

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 11:40:07 am »
Have you gotten offers from all three places or are they just where you might apply? If you are just applying then drop a resume/application off at each and see what happens.

amauriel

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 02:23:36 pm »
Have you gotten offers from all three places or are they just where you might apply? If you are just applying then drop a resume/application off at each and see what happens.

Agreed. I thought I'd walk into a game store my first year looking for a job, and I ended up applying at probably 15 different places when that store didn't hire me for just the summer. I spent that summer as a meat slicer in a deli, and although it wasn't my dream job, it wasn't fast food and I actually really enjoyed it.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

killerchameleon

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 02:48:45 am »
I this economy especially retail take whatever comes up first, then if you get an offer somewhere better move on to that  job.  Keep doing that until you find a place that feels like home.

htimreimer

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 08:10:40 am »
i just apply for EB games (GameStop) and i just got one question going by my resume do you think i will get the job
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:55:44 am by matt »

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 11:56:41 am »
Yer giving away quite a lot of personal info on that resume. I removed it. Looks good though. Your best bet with a retail store is to actually talk to the manager when you turn in your app. When I ran a GameStop I never hired anyone that I didn't get to know.

jcalder8

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:15 pm »
I have never run a Gamestop but at my store I rarely hire anyone with less than 2 years of experience unless they make an amazing first impression so just looking at your resume I honestly wouldn't give it a second look.