Author Topic: Flying Dragon NES has 2 different box art?  (Read 1087 times)

Flying Dragon NES has 2 different box art?
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:42:53 am »
Hi,

I've tried to find some info around the internet about the release(s) of Flying Dragon: The Secret Scroll to NES. It looks like it has been released with two different covers? Does anyone know something about this? The most common one seems to be the one that doesn't look like the art on the cart. I'll be super thankful in anyone could help me with this.

The less common one (I think)

The more common one

tripredacus

Re: Flying Dragon NES has 2 different box art?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 12:24:45 pm »
If you have the red box, are there any numbers printed on the box tabs?

White box info
- manual NES-HR-USA-1
- cart NES-HR-USA
- has warranty text on side
pics: https://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/flying-dragon-the-secret-scroll-/cover-art

Red box info
- manual: NES-HR-USA
- cart NES-HR-USA
- different back: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/IGIAAOSwnIleqHmA/s-l1600.jpg
relevant? Ebay sample has Blockbuster label on the cart. But this doesn't prove anything as the one in Ebay sold (223992525904) can be piecemealed.

White box manual is NES-HR-USA-1? (link)

I can't find a pic of the tabs of the white box.
Also can't find a -1 cart, but I didn't look at all of the loose cart listings.

So the manual is different at least. There exists the possibility that the rom is different on the cart, and the PCB as well.
Sometimes I have seen NES games with -1 existing (in part) due to localised releases. Such as, game first released in US, and then Canada gets a -1. Could be backwards here.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:52:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I got the red one. Here are some more pictures:

Yes, the manual is also different on each release. 

That's a possibility, this could perhaps be the Canadian one. I bought this game on ebay about 15 years ago and I never released that it was two different releases of the game. 

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 11:23:45 pm »
The red one you have is the original release run.

The re-issue is the one in the white box and has code NES-HR-USA-1 and production code 91010.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 05:15:03 am »
Thank you for letting me know. I'm about to sell a bunch of games and this one made me scratch my head. Didn't know how much I should sell it for.