Author Topic: What is your favorite game on the GBA?  (Read 3171 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What is your favorite game on the GBA?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 02:26:01 pm »
I really don’t think the GBA gets its due. It really has one of the most extensive and varied libraries of any gaming machine, not just home consoles.

I don’t know if I could choose just one. My top would probably be CV Aria of Sorrow, Metroid Zero Mission, and Double Dragon Advance. Seriously, those 3 games are among the best in their genres.

GBA is one of my favorite consoles. It's like the SNES-2, especially if you have a Game Boy Player for the TV. Great library of classics and new games. Plus backwards compatible going back 2 generations.

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 02:42:00 pm »
GBA has a great library. imo it does lack a bit in the action game department and if where talking those genre of games, the cropping to fit a smaller screen and the sound quality doesn't help.

It mainly shines in the less action based strategy rpg department in terms of especially content minus the visuals and sound.

Inferior snes with the lack of action games compared to other 2d systems, but for a handheld top 2 library only rivaled by the nintendo ds.

One of my favourite consoles in the past but thanks to mainly the sound and cropping thanks to it being a handheld it did dropp off a couple of spots for me in favor of actual 2d home consoles wich have better visuals, sound and more quantity and quality games in the action department.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 03:14:37 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 06:50:22 pm »
Fire Red/Leaf Green is my favorite.  The Konami TMNT beat em up is a close second.

byron

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 07:49:29 pm »
It really has one of the most extensive and varied libraries

That library includes five different games based on Bratz dolls. I would be hesitant to call the size of the library one of its positive traits when that size is due to the amount of filler in it.

megasilverx1

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 07:57:31 pm »
The GBA is one of my favorite systems along with the DS and 3DS, so picking just one or a few games is hard. Until the gen 5 Pokemon games came out, Pokemon Emerald was my favorite Pokemon game. I also enjoyed the GBA remakes/ports of the DKC games, especially Donkey Kong Country 3 since they added an entire new world to explore. The Wario Ware games and Wario Land 4 were also super fun. Even though their is a bit of a language barrier for both games, Slime Morimori: Dragon Quest was a fun little adventure game and Kuru Kuru Kururin was a simple but fun puzzle game. My favorite GBA game though would have to be Mother 3. It was and still is the only game in the Earthbound trilogy I beat and enjoyed; thought the story was really good and the archaic limited inventory didn't seem as noticeable here unlike the other two games.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 08:17:17 pm »
Mine are metroid Fusion and Zero Mission

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 09:09:58 pm »
Shrek 2

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 09:41:37 pm »
I really don’t think the GBA gets its due. It really has one of the most extensive and varied libraries of any gaming machine, not just home consoles.

Agreed.  The GBA has one of the most robust libraries of all time.  And not just in sheer number of titles - the scope of genres is insane.  Platformers, tactics, RPG, action... It's all here.  And that's before you even start talking about all the SNES ports.

astralsoul

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 09:59:26 pm »
If we're including ports then Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island. But there are a lot of ports/remakes for GBA.

If we're talking original games I'll go with Golden Sun.

I never played much handheld before the GBA. I had a Game Boy but all I had were Tetris, Kirby and Pokemon. When the GBA came out I just started college and started driving so I was able to go out and get my own games for the first time and I bought a LOT of GBA games. Golden Sun was the first game on the system that blew me away because finally I could have an epic SNES-tier RPG on a handheld. Until that moment I was always under the impression handheld gaming was far inferior to console games. Golden Sun proved me wrong.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:04:19 pm by astralsoul »

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 10:33:47 pm »
The Gameboy Advance was a great disappoint for me when I had one but now I miss having one. but I if was to pick 2 it would be.

1: The Sims 2 Pets for GBA. this installment in the famous people life simulator. Was like an RPG with The Sims gameplay but leaning more toward being an RPG. You had a character, you had to take care of like Bladder Food and Hygiene I think. But That is all I remember. But it was nothing like any Sims game on the PC.

2: Duke Nukem Advance a first person shooter with clunky controls and lots of lag but still playable, But it had early N64/PS1 style graphics and althouh the graphics were the exact same as Duke Nukem 64 or Duke Nukem 3D, so maybe that Duke Nukem game was too powerful to run properly :-\

I might pick one up again, if I can find an SP for under $200 USD
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 12:09:33 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2020, 03:02:41 pm »
It really has one of the most extensive and varied libraries

That library includes five different games based on Bratz dolls. I would be hesitant to call the size of the library one of its positive traits when that size is due to the amount of filler in it.

Well, if you look at any system’s library, there’s always going to be shovelware. IMO, the GBA has a much higher ratio of quality to crap, especially considering how diverse its quality titles are.

Agreed.  The GBA has one of the most robust libraries of all time.  And not just in sheer number of titles - the scope of genres is insane.  Platformers, tactics, RPG, action... It's all here.  And that's before you even start talking about all the SNES ports.

Exactly. It was the ports of classic titles that really got me thinking of the wide variety of software available for it.
The GBA even tackled games that seem out of its capabilities, like Doom and Tekken. Granted, they weren’t great, but IMO they were passable, which is pretty impressive for the hardware.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2020, 03:15:11 pm »
Shrek 2

Is this really a good game? Or was this a joke post? Genuinely curious, never played it or heard anyone talk about it before.

telly

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2020, 03:59:54 pm »
Shrek 2

Is this really a good game? Or was this a joke post? Genuinely curious, never played it or heard anyone talk about it before.

I've owned it since I was a kid. It's a pretty average 2D puzzle/platformer
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2020, 04:14:42 pm »
Shrek 2

I've owned it since I was a kid. It's a pretty average 2D puzzle/platformer

That's what I'd assume with a licensed kids game like this. But you never know, there are some hidden gems like DuckTales, so I thought I'd ask.

Flashback2012

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2020, 08:16:03 am »
That's what I'd assume with a licensed kids game like this. But you never know, there are some hidden gems like DuckTales, so I thought I'd ask.

That'd be a good topic for a "Let's Name" thread instead of all these "Top 100 for [Insert System Name]". Like it'd be "Let's Name Genuine Gems Hidden Behind Licensed Property (and sometimes Cash-Grab) Releases" or something.  :P

DuckTales was already mentioned and I'm sure Rescue Rangers would get a nod. The Genesis McDonald's game by Treasure would deserve a mention as well as the Astro Boy game on GBA.  ;)