Author Topic: Let's name the top 50 Genesis games together because yes :)  (Read 10086 times)

telekill

Re: Let's name the top 50 Genesis games together because yes :)
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2020, 10:48:52 am »
Wow, another one that I'm pretty surprised didn't make it into the top 50.... Road Rash 2. Fantastic and hilarious series.

Current count:
1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
2. Castlevania: Bloodlines
3. Phantasy Star II
4. Sword of Vermillion
5. Streets of Rage 2
6. World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
7. Beyond Oasis
8. Gunstar Heroes
9. Shining Force II
10. Snake Rattle n' Roll
11. Golden Axe II
12. Earthworm Jim
13. Wonder Boy in Monster World
14. Strider Hiryu
15. Aladdin
16. Sonic 3D Blast
17. Steel Empire
18. Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
19. Phelios
20. Quackshot
21. Warsong
22. Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
23. Toki: Going Ape Spit
24. Comix Zone
25. Sonic 2
26. Trouble Shooter
27. Sonic 1
28. Columns
29. Tatsujin / Truxton
30. Beavis and Butt-Head
31. Mega Man: The Wily Wars
32. Herzog Zwei
33. Rolo to the Rescue
34. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
35. The Revenge of Shinobi
36. Contra: Hard Corps
37. Sonic Spinball
38. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
39. Gargoyles
40. Phantasy Star IV
41. Rocket Knight Adventures
42. Midnight Resistance
43. Jurassic Park
44. Ninja Turtles Hyperstone Heist
45. Mortal Kombat II
46. Shining Force
47. Skitchin'
48. Thunder Force III
49. Arrow Flash
50. Gaiares
51. Lotus Turbo Challenge
52. Judge Dredd
53. Golden Axe
54. Ecco the Dolphin
55. Garfield: Caught in the Act
56. Primal Rage
57. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
58. Jurassic Park Rampage Edition
59. Chiki Chiki Boys
60. NBA Jam Tournament Edition
61. Alisia Dragon
62. Road Rash 2
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:51:54 am by telekill »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2020, 05:42:07 pm »
63.Blades of Vengeance

telekill

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2020, 08:33:00 am »
I found this game to be pretty suspenseful back in the day. It was my first FPS experience on a console but FPS games weren't very common back then either. My only other comparison was Wolf 3D on my Win 3.1 PC at the time.

64. Zero Tolerance

telekill

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2020, 11:04:21 am »
While I played this mostly on 32X, I'm happy to see that Virtua Racing had a version on the regular Genesis for those like me that didn't feel the need to keep the 32X add-on for only 2-3 games. Amazing that the Genesis is able to pull this off.

65. Virtua Racing

dreama1

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2020, 02:52:06 pm »
Jurassic Park should be swoped out for Toejam and Earl probably.

Severely disagree. Jurassic Park on Genesis still holds up as probably the best movie to game adaptation of all time. It's definitely in my top 10 games of all time personally. If it were the SNES, Sega CD, or even the Game Gear version, then maybe. But the Genesis specific Jurassic Park game is spectacular. Gameplay was phenomenal allowing play as either Grant or a Raptor. Then the level design was very well done. The music really sucked the players in and appropriately set the mood. The graphics for the time were also incredible.

heavy disagree,

true lies, rambo III, alladin, dick tracy or ghostbusters did a way better of a job in being actual decent games to name some examples on the sega 16 bit system or heck actual classics like michael jackson's moonwalker

I don't know how jurassik park is considered a sega classic it's a pretty average sega game in my opinion. but maye that's just a hot take opinion on my part.

Jurassic Park was a fan-favorite on the Genesis. Not a personal favorite, but it's brought up often enough to be considered a Genesis classic.

I know I just don't get how it's that popular or considered some of the best that the system has to offer.

I listed some reasons why in my rebuttal. It's fine if you don't like it, but the game is a really good one. I thought it was fantastic that Sega had different teams making essentially different games for the Jurassic Park franchise across their systems where as the Nintendo versions of the game were essentially the same and not well put together at that.

Didn't the Super Nintendo version shit all over it anyway? It was a mediocre 3rd party movie tie in at best, even if it was better. The Toejam and earl franchise represents the Genesis better. As a franchise and what the Genesis was about. I couldn't put an inferior 3rd party title above it.

telekill

« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2020, 08:18:46 am »

I listed some reasons why in my rebuttal. It's fine if you don't like it, but the game is a really good one. I thought it was fantastic that Sega had different teams making essentially different games for the Jurassic Park franchise across their systems where as the Nintendo versions of the game were essentially the same and not well put together at that.

Didn't the Super Nintendo version shit all over it anyway? It was a mediocre 3rd party movie tie in at best, even if it was better. The Toejam and earl franchise represents the Genesis better. As a franchise and what the Genesis was about. I couldn't put an inferior 3rd party title above it.

I guess it depends on what you like. In my opinion, the SNES Jurassic Park game was the mediocre one. Very bland if not simply horrible gameplay. The character designs were half assed and cartoony. It's not even one I would consider purchasing. I'm not sure you actually played the Genesis version. Maybe you're mistaken it with the Lost World Genesis game? Maybe the 3DO game? I digress.

telekill

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2020, 08:26:08 am »
While the phaser mechanics can be a bit janky at times, being able to go on missions with the crew is actually quite a bit of fun if you're a fan of the show. Pretty good graphics and sound effects from the show make this a pretty good game. Easily in my top 100.

66. Star Trek Echos from the Past

dreama1

« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2020, 02:36:35 pm »

I guess it depends on what you like. In my opinion, the SNES Jurassic Park game was the mediocre one. Very bland if not simply horrible gameplay. The character designs were half assed and cartoony. It's not even one I would consider purchasing. I'm not sure you actually played the Genesis version. Maybe you're mistaken it with the Lost World Genesis game? Maybe the 3DO game? I digress.
I might of been actually.  I was thinking it was some awkward top down view. This looks pretty good actually. Really nice graphics with what looks like prince of Persia vibes going on. I'll try it later on.

telekill

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2020, 05:05:45 pm »

I might of been actually.  I was thinking it was some awkward top down view. This looks pretty good actually. Really nice graphics with what looks like prince of Persia vibes going on. I'll try it later on.

Yeah, Lost World JP on Genesis was boring and awkward to play. I still have a copy of it, but it was nothing like the previous two games (JP and JP Rampage Edition). I thought Lost World was going to be more like them when I picked it up. Waste of money.