Author Topic: Let's Discuss Removal Of Threads That Should Not Be Apart Of Forum  (Read 4623 times)

tpugmire

Re: Let's Discuss Removal Of Threads That Should Not Be Apart Of Forum
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 10:41:21 am »
The fact that a mod or admin hasn't shutdown this thread, or at least said something in it, is odd.
I’ve been following it. The tough part for me is that I don’t want to punish people for using the off topic forum, when that’s what it’s for. Personally, I think the whole off topic forum should go away, but that’s just me.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

pzeke

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 04:16:19 pm »
The fact that a mod or admin hasn't shutdown this thread, or at least said something in it, is odd.

Not surprising at all.

With that said, though...

I’ve been following it. The tough part for me is that I don’t want to punish people for using the off topic forum, when that’s what it’s for. Personally, I think the whole off topic forum should go away, but that’s just me.

Why? Having a place where people can shoot the shit is a mainstay of many forums out there; I mean, unless it's for a very specific niche, I would say it's almost impossible to find a forum out there that doesn't have a section of this sort. Why is there a need to remove the option here? If it's a thought merely for the sake of avoiding a problem, then that's not the way to be an admin/mod.

Granted, I will agree with you in that this is the "off topic" forum, so I too feel anyone can make a topic out of anything...within reason, obviously. Most if not all of seether's previous posts fit in here. Were they worthwhile topics? Eye of the beholder, as they say. I will sound like a broken record, but if you don't like a topic, then just ignore it and move on to the next—and that has been the problem here, it's essentially the forum version of YouTube.

All of this is a non-issue, really, it's gotten to the point it is right now because some simply don't like a member and basically try to shut down everything he does. Even when he tries to contribute, as I mentioned elsewhere, he gets rebuked, ridiculed even. In all honesty, if you get trolled, then that's on you. I value my time, so I just can't fathom how one would simply squander it away arguing with someone that's probably on the other side of the world laughing it out loud at your expense.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:35:46 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

tripredacus

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 10:04:54 am »
This thread was created in Off Topic and not in Site Feedback. Also, it was not sent privately to a Global or Admin. So this discussion is not aimed at site staff which is mosly why no one has responded. I have read it since it was made, but still nothing to say. Certainly there is no reason to lock this thread, as it is not something against the forum rules.

The regular discussion threads that appear in the General and Gaming are fine and are not under "low quality post" category. There is no reason to prohibit or remove those types of threads.

Flashback2012

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 01:31:18 pm »
Granted, I will agree with you in that this is the "off topic" forum, so I too feel anyone can make a topic out of anything...within reason, obviously. Most if not all of seether's previous posts fit in here. Were they worthwhile topics? Eye of the beholder, as they say. I will sound like a broken record, but if you don't like a topic, then just ignore it and move on to the next—and that has been the problem here, it's essentially the forum version of YouTube.

All of this is a non-issue, really, it's gotten to the point it's right now because some simply don't like a member and basically try to shut down everything he does. Even when he tries to contribute, as I mentioned elsewhere, he gets rebuked, ridiculed even. In all honesty, if you get trolled, then that's on you. I value my time, so I just can't fathom how one would simply squander it away arguing with someone that's probably on the other side of the world laughing it out loud at your expense.

So I gotta break a personal rule to post this response. That rule is to never reply to an oldgamerz-started thread. I'm sure that could be construed as a slight but it's as you say, if I don't like what certain people are posting then just ignore any topics they start. I can't remember the last time I directly responded to one of his or Seether's threads. As much as I wish more people would abstain from posting responses in their threads, I know they won't so it's a moot point to hope they do.  ;)

Now, to be fair, I'm sure it'll get misconstrued that I'm branding oldgamerz a troll and I'm not but I think there's two issues afoot, trolling and forum spamming. As you say, it's super easy to ignore them, I've been doing exactly that. However, because the site is a database with a tacked on message board that lacks features, I can't filter out the trolls or the spammers. My only recourse has been to go down the right side and click on the "last post" icon and then hit the "Show unread posts since last visit" to clear them all off or just don't participate. There's been days where most all of the posts are by the same 2-3 spammers on the first page on top of all of those damn "Let's Name" threads and it's something of a turn off to even bother to sift through all of their threads to find one I want to read/reply to.

Don't worry, I already anticipate a rebuttal to this reply is tantamount to me crying over spilled milk/first world problems or something to that extent and you wouldn't be wrong.  ;) ;D

That said, I always make sure to let them know they're free to post whatever they want, however they want and how often they want. I don't personally care for it (and I can't imagine I'm alone on that) but them's the breaks right?  :P

I don't anticipate the forum ever getting any kind of upgrade so I won't hold my breath holding out hope.  :o

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 02:32:54 pm »

All of this is a non-issue, really, it's gotten to the point it's right now because some simply don't like a member and basically try to shut down everything he does. Even when he tries to contribute, as I mentioned elsewhere, he gets rebuked, ridiculed even. In all honesty, if you get trolled, then that's on you. I value my time, so I just can't fathom how one would simply squander it away arguing with someone that's probably on the other side of the world laughing it out loud at your expense.

So I gotta break a personal rule to post this response. That rule is to never reply to an oldgamerz-started thread. I'm sure that could be construed as a slight but it's as you say, if I don't like what certain people are posting then just ignore any topics they start. I can't remember the last time I directly responded to one of his or Seether's threads. As much as I wish more people would abstain from posting responses in their threads, I know they won't so it's a moot point to hope they do.  ;)

While my guideline is not quite that stringent - if a topic could be a legitimate discussion I might be interested in, I'll take a look and participate, but there are certain users where that is rarely the case.  The only exception I've made is when someone makes the exact same thread they've previously created.  I don't even do that anymore, because it's generally made no difference.

pzeke

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 03:35:19 pm »
[...]

Don't worry, I already anticipate a rebuttal to this reply is tantamount to me crying over spilled milk/first world problems or something to that extent and you wouldn't be wrong.  ;) ;D

You're basically reiterating my point, so there's no need to rebut anything.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:49:02 pm by pzeke »

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 03:40:31 pm »
I can't remember the last time I directly responded to one of his or Seether's threads. As much as I wish more people would abstain from posting responses in their threads, I know they won't so it's a moot point to hope they do.  ;)
Fight me IRL

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 05:42:51 pm »
Now, to be fair, I'm sure it'll get misconstrued that I'm branding oldgamerz a troll and I'm not but I think there's two issues afoot, trolling and forum spamming. As you say, it's super easy to ignore them, I've been doing exactly that.

Fine by me, but as long as I can think of something to write I will anyway, unless I'm told not to.

I always search the forum for older topics before posting new topics, I have been doing that since day one. at least most people seem to to read my posts. Maybe you got me with spamming, but not insulting and trolling :-\
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

pzeke

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 06:02:03 pm »
Don't pay attention to comments of that sort, you keep being you and anyone who doesn't like that, then that's their problem. End of.

One thing I'd like to suggest is to maybe proofread your posts more often.

Flashback2012

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 07:52:17 pm »
While my guideline is not quite that stringent - if a topic could be a legitimate discussion I might be interested in, I'll take a look and participate, but there are certain users where that is rarely the case.  The only exception I've made is when someone makes the exact same thread they've previously created.  I don't even do that anymore, because it's generally made no difference.

Understandable. I wish I could be that nuanced in my approach.  ;)

You're basically reiterating my point, so there's no need to rebut anything.

Yes I'm aware.  ;)
The TL;DR version is trolls gonna troll and spammers gonna spam amirite? No tools available so just ignore! MAKE SIMPLE!! ;D

Fight me IRL

Well, you're across the pond and I'm not using any of my dimes to get there, especially to fight a minor. If I DO ever make it over there someday, how bout we go get some Nando's or kebabs and you can talk my ear off about your stock portfolio?  8)

Fine by me, but as long as I can think of something to write I will anyway, unless I'm told not to.
I always search the forum for older topics before posting new topics, I have been doing that since day one. at least most people seem to to read my posts. Maybe you got me with spamming, but not insulting and trolling :-\

Just so you hear it from me directly, I do NOT consider you a troll. It's my opinion that you do spam the boards up a bit but so do a few others (I'd really love it if the whole "Let's Name" thing would die off already) and I wouldn't mind it if your posts were a little more articulated. I realize it my method comes across as harsh but it's easier FOR ME to just ignore any topics you bump/start but I'm certainly in NO position to tell you that you can't do either.

Don't pay attention to comments of that sort, you keep being you and anyone who doesn't like that, then that's their problem. End of.
One thing I'd like to suggest is to maybe proofread your posts more often.

My method for dealing with it might seem more "Scorched Earth" than it needs to be but you are correct, ultimately it is my problem. You are also absolutely correct in that he's every bit entitled to having a carte blanche mentality in regards to his posts as in he can post what he wants, how he wants and when he wants. I may not always like it but as you said, that's a ME problem.

telly

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 08:01:52 pm »

Well, you're across the pond and I'm not using any of my dimes to get there, especially to fight a minor. If I DO ever make it over there someday, how bout we go get some Nando's or kebabs and you can talk my ear off about your stock portfolio?  8)

Just slidin' in here to say I love Nando's don't mind me
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Flashback2012

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2020, 08:13:43 pm »

The closest ones to me are in Chicagoland and that's a bit of drive. Then again it's been over 15 years since I've been up that way and if the whole COVID thing calms down, I wouldn't mind making a trip up there to visit the Galloping Ghost and try some Pequod's/Lou Malnati's. At least I only have to drive to Indy to get my Portillo's fix.  ;D

telly

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2020, 08:15:14 pm »

The closest ones to me are in Chicagoland and that's a bit of drive. Then again it's been over 15 years since I've been up that way and if the whole COVID thing calms down, I wouldn't mind making a trip up there to visit the Galloping Ghost and try some Pequod's/Lou Malnati's. At least I only have to drive to Indy to get my Portillo's fix.  ;D

Yeah whenever I'm in Chicago I eat there.

I live in Indy now so you should come visit when COVID gets better!!
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

ferraroso

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 08:32:25 pm »
At least this post was valid for me to discover that Flashback2012 is also a fan of the old Macross.
It was the first time I noticed your personal text, man! Nice choice!