Author Topic: Bad games you thought were good  (Read 4331 times)

Re: Bad games you thought were good
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2020, 03:03:30 pm »
(edit) The Single Player Campaign of

Call Of Duty Ghosts 1 for PlayStation 3 NA version, I like this game it's a Call Of Duty Game not like the other ones.  Sometimes you are controlling an attack dog, in first person instead of a human and in another mission you need to get past a school of sharks without touching or harming them in any way.

The only part I didn't like was the swimming past the sharks part, but somehow I managed to get past it even though I didn't think I would,. In this one mission you are under water and you are in a tight space. and you need to swim past a whole lot of sharks swimming in a circle above you, you can't use any of your weapons. And That part of the game looks intimidating, But if you focus on each of the sharks movements you can get past it easy.

another flaw is the AI of the dog, when you are not controlling the dog  and the fact that if the dog gets killed. You need to do certain parts of some of the missions over again. if I remember correctly if you never tell the dog to attack you won't fail the mission as easy.

the only thing I don't like about Call Of Duty Ghosts 1 is the fact that no sequel of that game has been created yet. post date 10-5-2020

because the  story in the end of the campaign leaves you on a haingnail,
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 03:13:43 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

shatterstar69

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2020, 07:18:48 pm »
I recently played and completed The Last of Us II.  There has been so much negativity surrounding this game but I believe it is a masterpiece, right up there
with the first game.  It is a beautiful exposition of love, and what a person will do for those they love in a harsh, unforgiving world.  Many people hate the Abby character but I grew to like her.  That is all I will say since I don't want to spoil anything else for those who haven't played it yet.
Time to make the donuts!

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 07:33:04 pm »
I recently played and completed The Last of Us II.  There has been so much negativity surrounding this game but I believe it is a masterpiece, right up there
with the first game.  It is a beautiful exposition of love, and what a person will do for those they love in a harsh, unforgiving world.  Many people hate the Abby character but I grew to like her.  That is all I will say since I don't want to spoil anything else for those who haven't played it yet.

The majority of people think it's a good game, there's just some folks who have issues with its story and characters, and a number of them disliked the game before it came out because they ruined the game for themselves or fell for some of the misinformation that was spreading due to leaks.  It's objectively a pretty good game, as even if someone has issues with where the story went, it looks incredible, it's acted very well, and the gameplay is a notable improvement over the first game.  I have some of my own issues with the game, but its absolutely a good game.

shatterstar69

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 07:45:59 pm »

The majority of people think it's a good game, there's just some folks who have issues with its story and characters, and a number of them disliked the game before it came out because they ruined the game for themselves or fell for some of the misinformation that was spreading due to leaks.  It's objectively a pretty good game, as even if someone has issues with where the story went, it looks incredible, it's acted very well, and the gameplay is a notable improvement over the first game.  I have some of my own issues with the game, but its absolutely a good game.

I was able to avoid the leaks and spoilers because I absolutely adore the first game and I did not want to ruin my experience with it.
Time to make the donuts!

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 07:52:51 pm »
I was able to avoid the leaks and spoilers because I absolutely adore the first game and I did not want to ruin my experience with it.

I stumbled across one leak and then some of the misinformation, but it didn't really affect the game for me at all since that misinformation wasn't an actual negative to me and was actually wrong, and then the leak didn't matter much since it happens early in the story.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 03:34:13 am »
I have a real soft spot for awkward 3d platformers- I really enjoyed Vexx- it was basically emo mario 64. I can still hear the uppercut sound effect in my head. Also I really enjoyed Stuntman- it's incredibly unforgiving and the cars control like shit- but what an original concept- My cousin and I unlocked all the extra track parts so we could make our own courses. James Bond Agent Under Fire- this game is really not very good- but man I played the shit out of it as a kid- bond games were my fav- thankfully they got better and I still have nostalgia for it.

Dark Cloud and Okage Shadow King are two of my favorite rpgs ever- and both get trashed on the regular- numerous flaws but both are really really good- i recommend the ps4 ports for trophy support

Does God Hand count? I know popular opinion has shifted favorably to this one in recent years but upon release, it got slammed by critics- i still bought it new and it's one of my all time favorite games.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 04:10:31 am »
I'm seeing some legitimately good games in these list that are definitely not considered bad at all. critqued by many because they are worth playing but otherwise far far from trash

also how the hell is comix zone genesis considered a bad game. last time I checked it's usually a top 10 genesis game a classic must own for the system.  :o

god hand would btw still be slammed today by critics and casuals.

God hand is a game catered for the hardcore if your not into that kinda stuff your going to hate it QOL and it being accesible are an absolute no go in god hand, that's a recipe for disaster if your wanting to have amazing sales and positive reviews general consensus wise. It's just that in more recent times the correct audience has been playing this game more and more and casual audience has plenty of other stuff to play to not even bother looking up god hand or avoiding it since it's not their stuff.

Most people that especially play god hand today seek especially that hardcore experience so naturally reviews get more positive than. also especially if your coming from okami a very sizable chunk will fall off and hate god hand. same creators high expectations but god hand doesn't cater to a large audience like okami does.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:55:40 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2020, 01:47:44 pm »
The only two games that come to mind are Castlevania 64 and Men in Black II: Alien Escape for PS2. While I haven't finished either, I did enjoy the time I spent playing them.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2020, 08:50:47 pm »
I'm seeing some legitimately good games in these list that are definitely not considered bad at all. critqued by many because they are worth playing but otherwise far far from trash

also how the hell is comix zone genesis considered a bad game. last time I checked it's usually a top 10 genesis game a classic must own for the system.  :o

God hand is a game catered for the hardcore if your not into that kinda stuff your going to hate it QOL and it being accesible are an absolute no go in god hand, that's a recipe for disaster if your wanting to have amazing sales and positive reviews general consensus wise. It's just that in more recent times the correct audience has been playing this game more and more and casual audience has plenty of other stuff to play to not even bother looking up god hand or avoiding it since it's not their stuff.

Most people that especially play god hand today seek especially that hardcore experience so naturally reviews get more positive than. also especially if your coming from okami a very sizable chunk will fall off and hate god hand. same creators high expectations but god hand doesn't cater to a large audience like okami does.

I mean I did specifically include the caveat in my post that some public sentiment has changed on God Hand since release. Bad and Good are subjective terms. Upon release, the game got slammed, does that make it bad? There are games that were good or great 20 years ago but are now not as good as they once were and some even borderline unplayable- are those games that were once good, now bad? And games that reviewed poorly are revisited 10-15 years and are now appreciated more than they ever were, are those games now good?

Comix Zone reviewed well when it was released but, have you played it lately? it's incredibly unforgiving with a lack of continues or lives- for some the challenge is welcome and that makes the game good, but others will think the game is unplayable and will think it's bad- who is right?

I think you can make an argument that nearly every game can be good or bad- it's all subjective based on the opinion of the player.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 08:56:08 pm »
I got two more

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist of the Roses- I love this game, but it also got slammed in reviews
Chulip- this game was great too- was surprised to see it had a 57 on metacritic

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 09:31:21 pm »
I remembered a couple more Secret Service for Xbox 360/ps2 I had lots of fun with this one.Also Rogue Warrior for Xbox 360 was supposed to be horrible but I liked it.

sworddude

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2020, 07:43:49 am »

I mean I did specifically include the caveat in my post that some public sentiment has changed on God Hand since release. Bad and Good are subjective terms. Upon release, the game got slammed, does that make it bad? There are games that were good or great 20 years ago but are now not as good as they once were and some even borderline unplayable- are those games that were once good, now bad? And games that reviewed poorly are revisited 10-15 years and are now appreciated more than they ever were, are those games now good?

Comix Zone reviewed well when it was released but, have you played it lately? it's incredibly unforgiving with a lack of continues or lives- for some the challenge is welcome and that makes the game good, but others will think the game is unplayable and will think it's bad- who is right?

I think you can make an argument that nearly every game can be good or bad- it's all subjective based on the opinion of the player.

to be fair most people who play genesis games today seek that unforgiving gameplay and usually don't like how easy modern games have become so that's usually not an issue. genesis games are known to be harder on average than snes after all. even today i still see comix zone on plenty of top 10 or 20's not to mention comix zone has been in every sega genesis collection from ps2 onwards a bad game should not even be considered in such compilations since it's about the most popular and generally best games on the system. if way more casual players play genesis than naturally it's going to get bashed more but the audience that's left in general is more hardcore. The people that are going to hate it are usually not interested in playing old games in this day and age. aka same reason how god hand got allot more positive reviews.

Still with my first line of text I wasn't talking about god hand

I meant dark cloud and okage shadow king, dark cloud is considered a classic by many sure most prefer part 2 but i was kinda suprised how that was considered a bad game, and okage shadow king is usually mentioned as a hidden gem.

Chulip is just strange, if where talking general public the gameplay is questionable. the gameplay is about kissing everyone, you can't blame the average reviewer from bashing it. it's definitely an art that can only be appreciated by a minority. Hidden gem nowadays for some people who love playing older games and seek a whacky experience since the actual target audience are the people that are playing it today. a reviewer has to make notes how it would be considered by the masses and they are right back than and nowadays most people would not like chulip.

your right though every game can be considered bad, but in the more recent times, the players that would probably hate the game just avoid it allot more than back than, in this day and age the players usually know what they are looking for. and especially if where talking old games you have to go through certain hoops before you actually get to play it, wether it's by setting up emulation or getting an older console. more research and effort needs to be done if you where to for example play god hand ps2.

Low shot at a casual willing to try out god hand in this day and age by emulation or getting an og console. with that much effort it's usually going to be a hardcore player who exactly knows what he can expect.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:33:17 am by sworddude »

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2020, 03:23:13 pm »
Keep in mind sometimes when some people review a game that they get the game for cheap or free, they take playing it for granted. and they play it once or twice and make their final opinion. And then move onto the next review.
A lot of big time reviewers base a games quality, on their own first impression with it. Sometimes a reviewer does not even complete one game OR they complete it once  and they will still write review about it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:25:58 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

sworddude

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 03:38:58 pm »
Keep in mind sometimes when some people review a game that they get the game for cheap or free, they take playing it for granted. and they play it once or twice and make their final opinion. And then move onto the next review.
A lot of big time reviewers base a games quality, on their own first impression with it. Sometimes a reviewer does not even complete one game OR they complete it once  and they will still write review about it.

allot of big time reviewers just go straight ahead with either buy it now prices on ebay, emulation or modern console collections. free lots or amazing deals are way to time consuming if you want to have a consistent line of content that's not going to work. In my experience you will usually not find what you actually want anytime soon you'll always get the stuff that you really wanted way later or in times when you have different interests.

For a collector/player usually not a big deal, for a content creator who needs those games to make a video that's a big problem. for individuals with smaller channels or beginners sure but if where talking succesfull creators, unless you already build a huge collection on the cheap years ago that just ain't the case. A succesfull content creator is not going to wait for cheap deals.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 03:44:47 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2020, 04:53:20 pm »
I'm gonna echo what other people are saying with TLOU2, loved that game so much. Played through it twice within the first month. I also really enjoyed Bart vs. the Space Mutants on NES. I don't know if it is considered a bad game per say, but I haven't really seen any praise for it. Editing this to add Pro Skater 5. Haven't played much of it, but I picked it up relatively cheap after loving THPS1+2 and it really isn't that bad. Controls are kind of wonky and it is definitely bad compared to other games in the series, but it is actually really enjoyable if you look at it as its own thing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 04:56:13 pm by dakooldood »