Author Topic: About that physical cartridge of Shantae by LRG...  (Read 2139 times)

mrkonasoni

About that physical cartridge of Shantae by LRG...
« on: October 23, 2020, 05:58:52 pm »
START

I am surprised how even back then in 2017, LRG had that controversy between their hands, I remember buying a lot of their stuff but after a lot of "interesting" stuff happening I decided to just stop buying their stuff.

I dont want to talk about newest controversies (That there are) if not a bit about that Shantae GBC physical edition.

While I do consider it a nice novelty, I cant take it more seriously, maybe it is the cheaper option for some people get the physical cart and play it on real hardware but after all... it is not that cartridge that goes up for 400$ on ebay, also that purple color of the cart and the box... certainly make it look a lot like a bootleg.

I dont want to talk about the quality itself of the product, I want to believe the cartridge wont catch fire like some other supposedly physical modern reproductions. (Return of Double Dragon, Iam8Bit)

What are your thoughts, guys? I think is a cute idea.... but again... will someone actually feel happy buying this reproduction instead of the extremely expensive, real one?

I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

dhaabi

Re: About that physical cartridge of Shantae by LRG...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 06:26:41 pm »
What are your thoughts, guys? I think is a cute idea.... but again... will someone actually feel happy buying this reproduction instead of the extremely expensive, real one?

Without a doubt, people will feel that their purchase of this item is worth the money. For a long time, people have settled on reproductions for items that many collectors either simply can't afford or believe the high dollar value isn't justified. And, speaking as someone who doesn't purchase these kinds of items, I'm glad that reproductions offer an alternative to those on a budget.

I'm not sure about the specifics to this LRG release, but it seems that the overall presentation and packaging is nicely done. All that some collectors who are on a budget want is a means to own something by some physical means, whether official or not. And, from how I'm personally looking at the situation, this release seems to be a much more premium reproduction—perhaps one would even say the official unofficial release of Shantae for Game Boy Color. Shantae fans should be pleased.

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 09:10:17 pm »
it ain't just the budget thing, if where talking shantea the original on gameboy color

There are simply not enough copies around to please all collectors not even cart only.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 09:26:23 pm »
START

I am surprised how even back then in 2017, LRG had that controversy between their hands

What controversy is this? I found out about LR relatively new so I'm curious.

Also, I did buy this exact Shantae Repo from LR recently. Reason being it looks well made, and beats the other repo copies on ebay being sold from HK or China (I just try to avoid anything repo produced from asia in general).

Another reason being a lot of us gamers or collectors want this original Shantae in our collection but the original is just not affordable to the vast majority of us. I just checked VGPrices and it looks like the original goes for $585 loose and $2,308 complete as of today.

I don't know about you but I sure as heck can't spend half my tuition to get my hands on an original Shantae game  :'(

mrkonasoni

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 02:24:07 am »
- Answering to @dhaabi

That's an interesting point of view and is new for me, since I have spent too much time meeting other collectors I always remember that a bunch mentioned that reproductions have not value at all for their collections.

- Answering to @sworddude

I guess the world of gaming collection is like a Predator movie, the big fish with the biggest pocket will get the extremely rare item while some other dudes can eat the carpet, an annoying brat that I know told me that he watched a copy of Shantae in the 2000s for cheap, obviously at that point anyone could ever knew that Shantae could be such an expensive game.

- Answering to @jdkw50

I kinda don't want to talk about those subjects because is stuff buried in the past and I do hope they don't represent the actual behavior of the guys behind the company.

But well, I guess I will mention a few that I remember quickly.

- For example I remember that when they tried to sell Home for PS4, me and a lot of people were obviously upset because they wanted to sell it at 25$ + shipping when Home was a 5$ game.

- I remember also that a lot of us requested them in 2017 if they could slow down the releases of games for new year eve and they agreed but at the end there was indeed a game released or two...? In 28/30th december.

- I remember that one of the owners had no problems telling on his personal twitter that his own forum was toxic and that was certainly a let down.

And to be honest a lot of shit more.

Maybe the most recent ones is the subject with the physical edition of SoR4 and the collector edition of Monkey Island.

Anyway I guess they can do what they want, after all LRG is their business, and like grandma always told me, there is not friends when making business.

I am open to pay 200$ for a cart of Shantae... but it recently went for 290$, later 350$ and now 400$.

Yeah, chief, thanks but no thanks.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

pzeke

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 07:55:21 am »
I'd rather get one of those Chinese reproduction knockoffs than support a company like LRG. And I reckon I once stated I would get Scott Pilgrim if they were to release it, but after recollecting my thoughts about it I reconsidered it and would rather not if they were ever to.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 09:04:00 am »
I am surprised how even back then in 2017, LRG had that controversy between their hands, I remember buying a lot of their stuff but after a lot of "interesting" stuff happening I decided to just stop buying their stuff.

I dont want to talk about newest controversies (That there are) if not a bit about that Shantae GBC physical edition.

I definitely have a love-hate relationship with LRG. They put out too much, overcharge, take forever filling orders (this was even before COVID was a thing), pander to the specullectors/flippers, and act like their crap doesn't stink half the time. At least they've changed up their practice a little toward making things pre-orders instead of having this narrow window to purchase things and it'd a blink and you miss it thing. It's still not perfect but better than what it used to be for the most part. Now if they could just not charge $35-40 for games that go for $5-10 on digital marketplaces...  :P

While I do consider it a nice novelty, I cant take it more seriously, maybe it is the cheaper option for some people get the physical cart and play it on real hardware but after all... it is not that cartridge that goes up for 400$ on ebay, also that purple color of the cart and the box... certainly make it look a lot like a bootleg.

I dont want to talk about the quality itself of the product, I want to believe the cartridge wont catch fire like some other supposedly physical modern reproductions. (Return of Double Dragon, Iam8Bit)

First things first, let's get some terminology semantics squared away. I have a hard time calling the LRG GBC Shantae a repro/reproduction. In my mind, a repro is a fan-made thing that utilizes a sac cart (probably some old sports game or what have you), shiny new stickers, and a ROM dump of either an existing expensive title or an unreleased/translated ROM. In regards to the ones that try to get passed off as the real deal, I (and I'm sure plenty of others) have a true disdain for them as they're quite simply bootlegs. The ones that contain the translated/unreleased games I don't mind as much but I tend to avoid purchasing because I don't agree with sacking existing carts to be used to make them (even if they are essentially worthless sports games or whatever).

With the LRG GBC Shantae cart, I have a hard time lumping it in with the stuff above because they're a (allegedly) professional unit who has access to manufacturers for the carts (shells/boards/printers) AND they have the cooperation of the developer of the original game in WayForward. I have to imagine the code on their carts is nearly identical to the one on the actual cartridge that was released 20 years ago. It's not an "Official" release in the sense that it doesn't have the Nintendo seal but I'd still hazard to say the LRG GBC Shantae is official since the original developer is on board. I'd hazard to even include some of that Retro-Bit and Iam8bit stuff as being legit since Data East/G-Mode, Jaleco and Tradewest/Technos I believe are on board with those releases as well (though feel free to correct me on that).

I purchased the LRG GBC Shantae because I don't ever see myself owning the original one. I had my chance at one point as I certainly remember picking it up out of a clearance bin at TRU and they had it marked at $20. At the time, they had several copies and I figured I had time but the next time I went back they were cleared out.  ::) I certainly have a knack for that as I've also held US Magical Chase, UN Squadron, and Hagane (all CIB) in my hand and all were similarly priced but passed on them for whatever reason.  :o I'm also that same dumbass who paid full price for the CE of Duke Nukem Forever on PC.  8)

Lastly, I know it's not the "real" one but because WayForward is on board, it's real to me.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 10:36:48 am »
Yeah, I'd consider this a limited edition re-release, not a reproduction.

sworddude

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 10:54:04 am »
this game is an actual rerelease. licenses had to be bought developers on the same boat it's official. Definitely not the same as a reproduction.

Still even if the market would crash and the Og shantea even cib would just be worth 20$

Like how many are there out there on the market

100 - 200 carts and maybe 10 or 25 cib per year?

I'm no math expert but with those amounts pretty much no one would have them even when prices are cheap especially cib.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 11:10:27 am »
- Answering to @pzeke

There certainly a good list of reasons for don't buy their stuff.

I remember that one of the owners also used to get fights just because some "loyalty" customers weren't too happy with the releases, and of course I was also... like.... betrayed? I guess

Imagine paying all months 100$ or more in the personal project of a stranger from internet and the dude give you the finger like this, yeah... no hard feelings but I certainly stopped my ties inmediately.

- Answering to @Flashback2012

They have learned a quite, but I don't have the pocket for buy their stuff anymore, I will maybe buy the Castlevania Collection or just pick up a copy from ebay, I didn't hate the dudes, I used to respect one of the owners but like granny always said "Don't meet your idols".

I certainly think your point of view has made me changed my heart about this product, I absolutely thought people couldn't liked it but your argument has taught me something I never thought before, Thank you.

I didn't knew that those cartridges could be of better quality than a reproduction.

- Answering to @Cartagia

The Return of Double Dragon for SNES that was released a few years ago is a limited edition that can catch fire?

I remember a bunch of people were upset when they discovered that the official information of the product mentioned that it could maybe not work for real hardware and the fire thing.

That Double Dragon game must be cursed because only bad stuff happened to it since its released lol

Flashback2012

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 12:05:28 pm »
this game is an actual rerelease. licenses had to be bought developers on the same boat it's official. Definitely not the same as a reproduction.

Still even if the market would crash and the Og shantea even cib would just be worth 20$

I'm no math expert but with those amounts pretty much no one would have them even when prices are cheap especially cib.

I'd be willing to bet this doesn't even make a dent in the price of the original and if anything, will make it more expensive over time. I'd love to be wrong and would love to see the OG one drop in price but I'm not holding my breath.  :P

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 01:37:00 pm »
- Answering to @Cartagia

The Return of Double Dragon for SNES that was released a few years ago is a limited edition that can catch fire?

I mean, yes?  Were those Gremlins that exploded when rear-ended or those Galaxies that had their batteries explode not official?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 03:27:41 pm by Cartagia »

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 01:50:04 pm »

I'd be willing to bet this doesn't even make a dent in the price of the original and if anything, will make it more expensive over time. I'd love to be wrong and would love to see the OG one drop in price but I'm not holding my breath.  :P

2nd that, moreso because of the brand new shantae games on current gen consoles than this rerelease though. Friends that don't even collect or like playing retro games are playing those new shantae games.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 02:34:04 pm »
- Answering to @cartagia

Hahaha
I was writting that way too fast and reading again I certainly wonder what I meant.

I must admit I did laughed reading it again.
Haha

telly

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 09:34:14 am »
I just bought the Switch version. Couldn't justify the $20 price increase on the GBC version that's ultimately an unofficial release anyway (as in, not licensed by Nintendo).
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery