Author Topic: Database upload bug?  (Read 1050 times)

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

Database upload bug?
« on: November 21, 2020, 03:02:50 pm »
I tried uploading a new item to the database but weirdly it only created empty entries. Tried twice and it failed twice. Some sort of bug perhaps?
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

dhaabi

Re: Database upload bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 03:14:33 pm »
Your image file size is too large. Try creating the entries again with smaller images below 2MB.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 04:46:28 pm »
I sucessfully uploaded many images that are over 2 Mb, including today. There must be something else.
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

pzeke

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 08:46:50 pm »
When you're submitting a new entry and click on submit you need to wait a couple of seconds before getting redirected. Clicking more than once while the page is loading will result in an empty entry.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 05:55:54 pm »
When you're submitting a new entry and click on submit you need to wait a couple of seconds before getting redirected. Clicking more than once while the page is loading will result in an empty entry.
Yes, I only clicked once. It takes a good 5 seconds and then it automatically redirects to an empty entry. I'll try just submitting the entry without the images at first and then I'll upload them as an edit, maybe it'll work this way. And I found no correlation between image size and failure of upload; some images that are in even higher resolutions work just fine. There isn't even any transparency in the images. So far this is the first time that this happens, and I've created arount 300+ entries in the database so far. I guess the next logical solution is to pray for the code gods to accept my humble submission  ;D

Edit: @admins, I know you guys have the ability to see how many entries a given user has submitted, so I'm curious, at what number do I currently sit as of now?  ::)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 06:00:12 pm by leonefamily »

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 10:18:18 am »
I sucessfully uploaded many images that are over 2 Mb, including today. There must be something else.

There isn't. An entry can fail to create, or an image can fail to upload if it is too large because at the time you are sending that to the server, you are not the only one using the site. The process is that the site has to get the file from you, resize the image, rename it, delete the original file, link it to the art slot on the entry, then create the page. If this process takes longer than the timeout period, you can end up with a partial entry, a blank entry, or an entry with corrupted images etc.

It makes no sense to push a 2 MB + image file into the site knowing that the resultant image will be less than 200 KB. The Style Guide was change to 2 MB max size but even this is too large. The max dimensions I use is a 800 px horizontal, and the file sizes on uploads are typically less than 400 KB. This is why the file size information is different on the Advanced Style Guide.

We have the ability to see how many entries a person has created. I will be opening a thread in December for users to request to see how many items they made. :)

telly

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 10:36:16 am »
We have the ability to see how many entries a person has created. I will be opening a thread in December for users to request to see how many items they made. :)

Someday I think it would be cool to be able to see this value on someone's profile alongside the number of edits they've made!
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 06:31:42 pm »

[...]

It makes no sense to push a 2 MB + image file into the site knowing that the resultant image will be less than 200 KB. [...] The max dimensions I use is a 800 px horizontal, and the file sizes on uploads are typically less than 400 KB. [...]

Okay! Thanks for your explaination! And telly's idea is great, it would be nice to see the number of entries on the stats profile, otherwise I'm excited for that thread in December!

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 03:56:36 am »
I've actually been meaning to make that suggestion for a good while now, as it's one of the many features I think this website could burrow from VGMdb given both are relatively the same. And I have plenty more swimming in my head, but nothing gets done around here, so why even bother...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 05:41:12 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!