Author Topic: Would You Prefer To Pay Once For A Game Or Old Arcade Style Of Payment?  (Read 812 times)

In the old days of the 1970's 1980's and 1990's there were places you could go to called an arcade. And play some video games at the price of 1 quarter or 2 quarters in the US at least. for time spent on a video game machine/cabinet in a public place, the more you lose at a game the more money it would cost you to play for a given time.

I prefer to pay for a game once instead of continuing to pay as I played

But how would you feel if games the game industry today had games that charged you for playing instead of an upfront cost? thoughts?

And lastly are there games these days that do this? like charge $1 USD as an example for 1 hour of gameplay, or more? 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 03:45:43 am by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

Re: Would You Prefer To Pay Once For A Game Or Old Arcade Style Of Payment?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 12:30:36 pm »
Seriously who would want to pay monthly for games or deposit money every time they wanted to play?

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 12:42:45 pm »
And lastly are there games these days that do this? like charge $1 USD as an example for 1 hour of gameplay, or more?

Every subscription based game out there?

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 12:43:30 pm »
Most of the arcades still around charge by the hour or have a day pass.
It’s good if you want to try a lot of games in a short time, but if you’re good at a particular game...not so much.

Things like Xbox game pass let you play games like you would pay to watch movies etc on Netflix.

I still prefer to buy the games I play, but the monthly fee to play 100 games on rotation is a nice deal.
Growing up, most of my friends had less than 10 games at any given time, and only 1 or 2 was a newer title.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 12:45:26 pm »
Seriously who would want to pay monthly for games or deposit money every time they wanted to play?

I would not, and the question is kind of stupid but some people only beat a game once, and pay $60 for a new video game, if this was a thing I could imagine it would cut the cost down like $1 USD an hour for a game like a short FPS game that could be beaten within 8 hours. I would hate this myself, but I think the transition to all digital games is just as bad. I don't see  this happening because this could really bloat someone bank statement up if they play a game a lot

(Edit)

Every subscription based game out there?

I didn't actually know this untill you posted
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 12:51:04 pm by oldgamerz »
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 04:24:37 pm »
Any game you get 'free' on Live! or PSN that you pay subs for
Any mobile game that has a pay to win ethic
Any game like Fifa that has 'Lootboxes'

The methods might be less transparent but there are many games where you pay as you play, even if its a fraction of a subscription.