Author Topic: Crash Bandicoot 2 Cortex Strikes Back - Making a better game (Opinion)  (Read 715 times)

mrkonasoni

|Start》|

A few months I talked about Crash Bandicoot 1 so this time this is a mini thread about the sequel.

Anyway after the release of the first game it was obviously that Crash Bandicoot was a hit for Naughty Dog and Sony, so a sequel was quickly spawned in just one year.

After reading some comments it seem that the noisy opinion is that Crash 2 is the fan favorite game in the franchise, I can agree? I guess.

Pretty much Crash 2 it's just a way better game than the first one and I can't think of about a flaw of the original game that wasn't fixed for this one.

Crash just controls better, he is faster, has a better grip, the new movements for the characters are useful and the weird arc jump from the first game was removed for a better inertia while falling off.

The level design is also better and more polished than the original game, it's more interesting, creative and I can certainly think some levels are memorable for the console, even some weirds placement of enemies, boxes and obstacles from the last game are not present at all in this sequel.

So, indeed Crash Bandicoot 2 is a pretty good game, the few stuff I don't like is for example the mission for collect all colored gems, it's not bad but I just don't see the game making it clear or at least giving a simple hint to the player for find out secret exits or the key for unlock the colored gem.

But besides that, I don't have much problem, Crash 2 is a good game and I certainly recommend that people that thought the first game was charming but flawed to play this one and this time enjoy it.

- You are welcome to disagree with me.

Note: Have you noted that people just accepted that Crash's sister "Coco" spawned from no where and just accepted it? Nice stuff.

I also like that she is his sister because at the time such concept wasn't popular at all.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

Re: Crash Bandicoot 2 Cortex Strikes Back - Making a better game (Opinion)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 03:31:29 am »
Crash 2 is a solid game! I think why people prefer it over Crash 3 (Warped) is that it has less variety of vehicle missions. I like both, I think Crash 3 wins by a split hair through its production value and relics.

I liked the introduction of the coloured gems and how they had unique tasks, while obtaining them was vague it was not half as bad as the methods needed to reach the Secret Wrap Room - Some requiring you to jump on platforms which were snuck away.

I liked the emphasis on Cortex asking for help and getting more time to see him through the projector conversations. The bosses also had more personality too.

One thing I always like to do is aim to get all of the Gems before getting the last Crystal, I tried this on the Remake and I wouldn't let me access the Gem Ending, I swear on the original you could access that ending prior to the Crystal one if you actually obtain all the Gems prior, maybe something I will have to go back and test huh?: :P

Great game, glad you enjoyed it - if you're playing through the Crash games don't overlook Twinsanity! Despite being a post Naughty Dog Crash game it's really REALLY good! I play the Xbox version on my 360 as it is BC on that system.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 11:47:13 am »
I prefer the original. I like the mix of 2D and 3D style levels. Crash 2 had less of the 2D style levels, from what I recall.

Great series, regardless, with a bit of challenge.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 12:35:48 pm »
I never played Any Crash bandicoot video game, but they cost a lot of money now I believe. I know for a fact that it's a difficult video game, in which what turns me off of the original PS1 games. platforming video games whether 2D Or 3D platofrmers are notorious for being difficult. in which is why the I never even tried a Crash Bandicoot game yet, and on top of that I never ever seen a copy of any of the original series in stores for sale.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:08:37 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Flashback2012

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 02:28:30 pm »
I never played Any Crash bandicoot video game, but they cost a lot of money now I believe. I know for a fact that it's a difficult video game, in which what turns me off of the original PS1 games. platforming video games whether 2D Or 3D platofrmers are notorious for being difficult. in which is why the I never even tried a Crash Bandicoot game yet, and on top of that I never ever seen a copy of any of the original series in stores for sale.

the only Platforming video game I ever enjoyed was Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem II for the MS/DOS PC.  and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project. those game are fun for me to handle and they do offer challenge but I like it because their is no player restriction, and enemies most of the don't respawn when their killed, and the ons that can respawn are easy to destroy the repawner. unlike most 2D platforming video games.

OP starts a thread talking about a particular Crash game and you're over here trying to steer the conversation to Duke Nukem for some reason.  ??? Also, you've never played one but you know for a fact it's a difficult video game. I mean I guess...you watch a video and be like "Yeah I don't have the mental dexterity to play that."

As for not seeing any original copies in stores, where are you looking? I mean a place like GameStop or Best Buy probably won't have it because they haven't carried PS1 games in over 20 years now but maybe a Disc Replay or some other mom 'n pop location might have one on hand. I'm betting there's a flea market or peddler's market up there that has at least one person selling used games; I bet they might have a copy. There's also the N-Sane Trilogy on the last gen systems (PS4/XB1/Sw) but it sounds like you don't have any of those yet.

Back on topic, I played the original quite a bit but only a little of the second (and none of the third). That aside, I liked how 2 and 3 got lenticular covers and if I were to ever run down copies to own, I'd be looking for those. Surprisingly, there is no listing for the lenticular version for 2 in the database (at least not that I saw on first glance).

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 01:11:49 am »

the only Platforming video game I ever enjoyed was Duke Nukem and Duke Nukem II for the MS/DOS PC.  and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project. those game are fun for me to handle and they do offer challenge but I like it because their is no player restriction, and enemies most of the don't respawn when their killed, and the ons that can respawn are easy to destroy the repawner. unlike most 2D platforming video games.
OP starts a thread talking about a particular Crash game and you're over here trying to steer the conversation to Duke Nukem for some reason.  ??? Also, you've never played one but you know for a fact it's a difficult video game. I mean I guess...you watch a video and be like "Yeah I don't have the mental dexterity to play that."

As for not seeing any original copies in stores, where are you looking? I mean a place like GameStop or Best Buy probably won't have it because they haven't carried PS1 games in over 20 years now but maybe a Disc Replay or some other mom 'n pop location might have one on hand. I'm betting there's a flea market or peddler's market up there that has at least one person selling used games; I bet they might have a copy. There's also the N-Sane Trilogy on the last gen systems (PS4/XB1/Sw) but it sounds like you don't have any of those yet.

Back on topic, I played the original quite a bit but only a little of the second (and none of the third). That aside, I liked how 2 and 3 got lenticular covers and if I were to ever run down copies to own, I'd be looking for those. Surprisingly, there is no listing for the lenticular version for 2 in the database (at least not that I saw on first glance).

I apologize to the OP and I edited my post to leave out Duke Nukem I'm sorry, yes I did watch some Crash footage before and I didn't really think id enjoy it, however I do have A Crash Bandicoot game for PlayStation 2 but I never played it yet.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

mrkonasoni

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 08:50:02 am »
- Answering to @vivigamer.

I think some people also prefer the second game because it is more interesting and less difficult to complete for a 100% playthrough.

I have played Twinsanity and I have it, I actually have all Crash games for PS2, I certainly think Crash don't have a game that I could consider unbearable and reading opinions it certainly look like most people liked the games from the 2000s era.

- Answering to @oldgamerz

Hey, don't worry pal, I love talking with people and if you felt like mentioning Duke Nukem games like example is fine for me, I mean this is a humble and polite forum I don't think you did something bad, Crash games are mostly good if you want to try up some of the games.

- Answering to @burningdoom

I also think the original game had more memorable soundtrack, I still remember the ost for the first game but I barely remember more than one from this one.

If you like the 2D stages maybe you should play the pretry good games for the GBA games of the character.

- Answering to @flashback2012

Don't worry it doesn't brother me, I like to talk with people about everything while the other person is polite.

Those special covers are not that rare I think, I am keep seeing copies of those covers for like 20$-30$ on ebay, that's reasonable comparing it with other sought games for the console.

Crash 3 is a good game, I think it is a bit better than this one, though.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.