Author Topic: Some console names include manufacturer, some don't.  (Read 870 times)

Some console names include manufacturer, some don't.
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:41:52 pm »
I've noticed that some consoles are listed such that their manufacturer is included in the title. For example, the Game Gear is listed as "Sega Game Gear" and the Saturn is listed as "Sega Saturn". On the other hand, most other consoles are listed by name only, such as "Game Boy" or "Dreamcast". I realize some consoles sort of require this, as it would be awkward to list the Atari 2600 as simply the "2600" or the NES as the... "Entertainment System"? But this inconsistency is kind of annoying when I'm quickly trying to choose a console, especially in the drop-down menu in the advanced search window.

Just thought I'd throw that out there,

Thanks.

darko

Re: Some console names include manufacturer, some don't.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, if you included the manufacturer it would keep everything nice and alphabetically organized on the collection pages. On the other, it seems a little redundant to include the manufacturer at all. I'm taking a step out here, but I'm fairly certain every member of the sight knows that the Game Gear was released by Sega.

If I was going to cast a vote, it would be to eliminate the manufacture's info all together (except when it's actually part of the name, ex - NES, SNES, etc).

Either way, I agree that it should be uniform.

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:17:48 pm »
It was decided early on, to list the console categories as they were commonly known.  How many times have you heard someone say "Nintendo Super Nintendo" or "NEC TurboGrafx 16"?  Yet you usually hear "Sega Genesis" or like you mentioned "Atari 2600".  Also, remember that there are a few consoles out there that had more than one manufacturer, such as the 3DO and CDi.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:46:42 pm »
That sounds pretty subjective; I don't normally refer to it as the "Sega Game Gear", for example. You're right that saying "NEC TurboGrafx 16" would be awkward, but simply saying "Game Gear" or "Genesis" is much less awkward. Exceptions could be made for the NES and 2600, but by and large I think it would work better if all manufacturer names were removed from the titles. In my opinion, anyways.

matt

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 06:54:30 pm »
Actually the initial choice was made based on the official manufacturer name. Some of the official names include the manufacturer and some don't. I think we've been pretty accurate with this naming convention. There may be some mistakes and obviously we are open to suggestions.

tpugmire

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:32:45 pm »
My bad.  I remember having this conversation, but I couldn't remember exactly how it went
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com