Author Topic: Error Listings and rejected edits 2023  (Read 20033 times)

empovyle

Re: Error Listings and rejected edits 2023
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2023, 10:21:41 am »
Was instructed to post this here. I would like these listings converted to the Epic category please. 
https://vgcollect.com/item/178278 
https://vgcollect.com/item/191325

I can't find any official Windows releases for these other than Steam and Epic. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 11:27:18 am by tripredacus »

empovyle

« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2023, 10:30:02 pm »
https://vgcollect.com/item/226564 
I would like this game switched to Epic please. In the edit notification, the message says "There needs to be formal clarification as to how generic PC Digital Download entries should be re-categorized. In this instance, why Epic Games and not Steam?" 

For this particular game, my thinking is, since it has no owners and it's in the cluttered PC - Digital category, it's free real estate to switch over. Normally if a game has owner(s) it's worth looking into their collection and seeing where they likely have the game/messaging the owner to ask. There was a Steam listing made for this game 9 months before the PC - Digital listing came around, so I'm fairly sure it wouldn't have stood for that release. Unfortunately it seems there's more than just Epic and Steam digital releases for this game, looks like it's being sold on the Microsoft Store and the official Farming Sim website too, so really it could be meant to represent any of those. 

For a few other PC - Digital games, I've changed the descriptions on them to state the other locations you can download them from (if there are any), and then making a separate Epic listing afterwards. Is this an acceptable process? The only reason I've tried to circumvent this with Farming Sim is just because it has no owners. 

What do you think?     

tripredacus

« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2023, 09:20:00 am »
Moved to Epic

There needs to be formal clarification as to how generic PC Digital Download entries should be re-categorized. In this instance, why Epic Games and not Steam?" 

0 in Collections means that approving staff can basically do anything (appropriate) with it. As for why Epic and not Steam, there is already an entry in Steam category.

empovyle

« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2023, 11:24:13 pm »
https://vgcollect.com/item/232130 
https://vgcollect.com/item/229269

More games that needs to be changed to Official Release
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:18:00 am by tripredacus »

tripredacus

« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2023, 09:18:29 am »
This is a bug, not something that is handled in this thread.

empovyle

« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 09:38:33 am by tripredacus »

« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2023, 11:07:45 am »
https://vgcollect.com/item/170771

the PAL release don't have the "NEW"-Badge on the front. Also the "Printed in"-Line on the back differs. Afaik this is the NTSC image taken from this entry: https://vgcollect.com/item/17529
I can provide provide pictures of the PAL release. The Cartridge image is ok even if likely also copied from the NTSC release. PAL has a "P" sticker on the back. The front is afaik identical.

Sorry i also added a edit for the NTSC game which should be done to the PAL version. I got confused by the identical images... Sorry :(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 11:12:42 am by smesgr »

tripredacus

« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2023, 11:38:30 am »
Item merged as dupe. You can make a new entry.

There is a lot of bad entries made in cats for games of this era. People make EU games in NA and NA in EU. So this entry was a US game made in EU section and there was another one already in US section. Because we can't convert entries, it can only be merged. In the future do not attempt an entry conversion, instead report the issue in this thread first.

Also for Atari cart sections, it is often difficult to know exactly how games were released. There are many years of games being imported and exported to/from EU so it is now common to find US games on EU ebay. A site like Atarimania is the way to go to know where these things come from.

https://vgcollect.com/item/170771

the PAL release don't have the "NEW"-Badge on the front. Also the "Printed in"-Line on the back differs. Afaik this is the NTSC image taken from this entry: https://vgcollect.com/item/17529
I can provide provide pictures of the PAL release. The Cartridge image is ok even if likely also copied from the NTSC release. PAL has a "P" sticker on the back. The front is afaik identical.

Sorry i also added a edit for the NTSC game which should be done to the PAL version. I got confused by the identical images... Sorry :(

« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2023, 01:00:44 pm »
thank added new entry. Even through mixing up PAL and NTSC for 7800 shouldn't be that easy. Most NTSC 7800 games don't work on PAL systems.

« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2023, 03:33:54 pm »
https://vgcollect.com/item/248836

Admin comments: What is the source of this information? All information I can find regarding a release date is 1978 without day or month. If you can confirm a release date, an edit submission will be approved.

It is complicated. Unimex (Brand of Unicom Consumer Electronics GmbH) imported PAL Atari games directly from Atari Inc (US). Added a german manual, gave them geman alternative names and distributed them. They started importing in 1980. Thus it is very likely all boxed version of the earlier games exists. This one has a (C) 1981 on the back and geman manual lists all games sold in June 1981. Thus this combination of box and manual and game was sold from June 1981. In March 1980 Atari founded a german subsidary. But afaik they took over distribution of games some time in 1981 but sold stock of Unimex. All Unimex distributed games can't be relased before 1980 and not after 1981. There are conflicting information if they sold games in the EU or only germany.

tripredacus

« Reply #160 on: July 06, 2023, 09:21:42 am »
In regards to this text in description:
"manual (german) with title "Hindernis-Rennen (Slot Racers) Video Computer System Model CX 2600 - VCS 800 Spiel-Anleitung""

It does not have a manual. It has a Spiel-Anleitung.

If language is needed to be mentioned, it should be in proper case.

Hindernis-Rennen should be in alt-name field.

Need to note what color the P label is. It is especially important since this part is not visible in the art slots.

This line "imported and distributed by Unimex." should be on the bottom of the text, not the top. Physical descriptions first, then contents, then trivia and compatibility info.

« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2023, 07:40:08 pm »
I don't understand some of the rejections and changes made by mods to user submissions and edits. I did try to go over the style guide, but I want to point out that on the submission page, as well as under the mod notes on rejected edits, users are linked to the style guide from 2011. I think you should update it to the advanced one from 2020, or better yet link both.

However, neither one of these really have good guidelines or examples for merchandise or swag items. This is what I want to bring up.

I don't understand what the purpose of the "description" field is when everything always gets erased. I've referenced both the regular guide and the advanced style guide.
Here is what is listed in the original, official style guide for description boxes:

(For Games) Descriptions:
    The Description field should be notes about the games packaging variants/ pack ins/ collector's edition details. Or trivia about the games release, such as if it is a launch title, last title, a very limited release,  etc. This should not be filled with store descriptions describing the gameplay or hyping up the title. Plagiarizing descriptions from other sources will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

(For Digital Downloads) Descriptions:
        In most cases, Digital games would not need our description field to be filled in. Except in cases where it is only available from a certain location. Such as the freeware version of Daggerfall, which is from the official Elder Scrolls website. Or the indie game Hydorah, which is only available through its developer's website, locomolito.com. In these cases, you can simple say something along the lines of "The game is freeware and available for download from locomalito's website." Do not copy and paste URLs into description.

(For Steam Games) Description:
        This box is used to describe specific things about the game - if it's been removed from the store, locked to a specific region, only available in a certain language, and so on. If you're adding a Collector's Edition of a game, and it includes specific bonuses, you enter the list of bonuses there. If the game you're adding is only available in a specific set or as a free game when buying something else, you may mention it here.

And per the advanced style guide:
The description field is to list a physical description of an item, such as: what is contained in the packaging, additional item numbers, clarification of variation, item name descriptor details or release country if a TLD is not required in the item title.
For a digital game, it is for compatibilities or release information only. The data input should be concise and not wordy.
"Description" from other websites such as stores or online platforms are not valid for use here.

I'll list examples I did and why I don't understand things were removed.
Ex. 1: Smile Slime Plush Cap. In the description, I listed the material it was made out of: Polyester and Nylon, and that it had velcro on the chin strap. Why was this removed? It is a very short physical description of the item.
Ex. 2: iRO Deviruchi t-shirt. In the description, I wrote that this was a promotional item only for International Ragnarok Online server players subscribed during a certain period. There is additional detail about the back of the shirt that can't be seen in the photo. The whole thing was removed. I think it is a bit nit-picky to remove the info about the back of the shirt for the sake of brevity, but why remove the part about it being promotional specific to one region? Doesn't that count as clarification of variation or details about release? The title does have iRO which is an acronym for "International Ragnarok Online" but that's not written anywhere else on the page, and neither is "Ragnarok Online". Anyone using those two terms for searches wouldn't find this promotional item.
Ex. 3: Fire Emblem Memorial Book Vol. 1. In the description, I wrote that it is a compilation of lore, sketches and character sheets by the devs. It was rejected for the reason "No relevant information" and then replaced by the second barcode number on the book. Also, I actually added a picture of the back of the book for this entry. That was removed with the reason given "Missing text". I don't understand, it's a photograph. How can I add text to a photograph? How can text be missing? Furthermore, why would you need to replace the description with additional barcode numbers, when it was in the photograph that you removed? This does not seem very logical to me that you would have a photo of something, remove it, then add in a text box what you removed. Honest question, and I hope I'm not coming across as a jerk but are you trying to just keep all entries to one picture per entry? Description box aside, I really don't understand the reasoning behind removing the photo of the back of the book other than "you don't want it". And that's fine if that's the case, but you should clarify that somewhere in your guides. I would ask that you be consistent in how you edit things too because I submitted the second volume of this book as well, but the editing was done different. The photo of the back of the book stayed and the description is completely blank. Not sure which example is supposed to be the correct one.
Ex. 4: Figma figure of female Kamui from Fire Emblem: Fates. I added in the description that there was a bonus item unique to the GOOD SMILE website and that was removed. I don't understand why that was removed because "it wasn't relevant." If you ordered this figure from a different retailer, you would have different accessories. The packaging and Kamui herself is the same though. This information seems like it would be relevant since it talks about what is contained in the packaging.

There are also some liberties taken by mods doing the edits that I don't think follow your own guidelines.

Ex. 1 The title was edited in this submission. I originally had the color labeled with it because there are two variants. I have the pink one shown. There is a navy version as well. I didn't bother to list the navy one since I don't have it, and the only photo I could find the cap looks more black than navy.
Ex. 2 The Pokemon KFC promotional items were relabeled from "bean bag" to "plush". The tush tag on the items in question have them labeled as "bean bag" and they were promoted by that description in KFC's own commercial.
Ex. 3 To double back on the picture removal topic, you completely removed two additional photos from this listing, making it difficult to understand what it is. For this listing I had a photo of the front of the box (still there), the back of the box (which has the name of the item, a description of it, and how to clean/maintain it in japanese) and a photo of the drinking glass by itself so people could see what it looks like. As it is now, there is no way anyone could figure out what this listing is supposed to be unless you already have the item yourself. I think keeping the listing like this, you are more likely to end up with users making multiple entries for the same item, especially if they just posted a listing without the box and only the loose item.

I have some other entries that I'm not so sure on, but this post is already quite involved so I'll wait for clarification on my examples first. I'm hoping someone can further explain certain things since it seems like I'm following the guidelines but there is an obvious misunderstanding. I have several other merchandise type items and some older IBM games on 3.5in floppy disks I want to add but tbh, I am reluctant to since I have no idea what is going on with the edits.

Oh and there is a mistake here for the Fire Emblem Three Houses Pin set. You added the colon but misspelled 'three'.

dhaabi

« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2023, 09:02:54 pm »
I don't understand some of the rejections and changes made by mods to user submissions and edits.

Like you've mentioned, our site does not have any written rules or guidelines to follow concerning items in Merchandise sub-cats. It is something some may say is badly needed, but there are very few here who care enough about the categories which is why they're all in disarray. The categories bother me, but without much formal guidance to reference, it is of low priority for me, currently. Originally, VGC was built to track games. Quickly, that turned into tracking game items, followed by digital games and anything else. The site isn't properly set up to track these sorts of items, yet we still do. With all that said, the Description field guidelines you've quoted above are for games.

I handled all the edit changes, if it wasn't apparent. Generally for entries that have a mass of Description text too wordy or not immediately relevant to the item, I remove it. Perhaps in some instances like for parts of Ex. 1 and Ex. 2, information was removed in error, but I can't be certain now without referencing that original text again if it's re-submitted.

Comments on what you're mentioning now:
Ex 2. Whether "iRO" is a part of the title or not, no one searching for Ragnarök Online will find the item anyway because that term is not a part of the Name or Alt-name fields.
Ex 3. Like you mentioned, the Description field's focus is on physical attributes. So, any additional item number or barcode information may be submitted. That the information is also present on any entry image makes no difference (especially considering the small size of entry images.) If that were the case, then fields like Barcode and Box Text wouldn't exist at all. Concerning the "missing text" comment, that is because the image you submitted is not the same image I found while researching this item. Here is an image of the item's actual back design. The image you submitted omitted all back cover text in addition to the obi. So, contrary to what you mentioned here, barcode information wasn't present in the image at all. The style guide states not to submit images where the barcode has been removed or censored. Every online listing I've seen of this item features the barcode. Without seeing your photo again, I don't know what item you own.
Ex 4. I don't know how your submission text was worded. If there is an additional item separate from the entry's packaging, then it should be submitted as its own entry and description details. That entry could then state it was a pre-order bonus from a certain retailer related to a certain product.

Ex. 1. Do not use entry name descriptors unless there is more than one entry in the same category with the same name. Do not format descriptors in uppercase lettering as you originally did unless the text is present on the item. So, if a variant entry is submitted, (pink) and (navy) can be supplied as entry name descriptors.
Ex. 2. While researching, I did not find any text mentioning "Bean Bag," so I defaulted to lowercase "plush" as many other entries use. Whatever marketing terms an item was given is not important to how an entry should be named. Those terms can be added to the Alt-name field. If you re-submit the change, it will be approved.
Ex. 3. You submitted three images all in the incorrect slot (media art in front slot, front art in back slot, back art in media slot.) Because they were all low quality, I did not bother re-submitting them, although I submitted different front art in the correct slot. You mention concern of duplicate entries. You titled the item incorrectly, which is much more of a reason for a duplicate entry to be made.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 09:09:17 pm by dhaabi »

empovyle

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2023, 07:17:38 pm »
Notification for rejecting back image and cart image for Webkinz plushes: 

Items without packaging may be submitted loose in the Front Art slot exclusively. No other slot should be used. Relevant recent forum post: https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,12402.msg201816.html#msg201816
For Webkinz, there are indeed some plushes that were "packaged" with some kind of cardboard graphic. I think this happened later in the game's lifespan. I disagree with there being no packaging on the majority of them, though. I see the secret code card in the plastic sleeve with the blue ribbon and fastener as being the "packaging". The Webkinz plush with the secret code card still attached is what I and many others would consider CIB for these specific toys and is how they were sold on the shelves, so I don't exactly see why including an image of the back of the code card, where the majority of the item's info (barcode, item numbers, company info, etc) is located, would be denied for cart art. 

The "back art" rejection I can understand, and I won't submit those anymore. It was mostly just submitting something for the sake of it and having access to the images, I suppose. 

I also personally disagree with not allowing developer and publisher info for these specific items. It just makes sense, the secret code is definitely developed by GANZ for the game, while the plush itself is published and manufactured by GANZ. But I can settle for leaving them blank for consistency's sake. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 07:19:23 pm by empovyle »

dhaabi

« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2023, 08:59:30 pm »
Notification for rejecting back image and cart image for Webkinz plushes: 

Items without packaging may be submitted loose in the Front Art slot exclusively. No other slot should be used. Relevant recent forum post: https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,12402.msg201816.html#msg201816

For reference, these are the type of images being submitted:

I am not disagreeing that there are Webkinz toys with box packaging. They may certainly exist, but the ones in question such as the one above objectively do not have packaging.

Yes, crucial information is found on the label, but the Cart Art slot is not reserved for those kinds of images. Other items have crucial information on various sides or components (i.e. Webkinz tags, spine, box bottom), but the art slots are for front, back, and media only, so those images are not submitted either.

Technically, these items belong under the Interactive Figures and Cards category, but no sub-cat currently exists for them. Regardless, publisher and developer information should not be submitted to either Toys or Interactive Figures/Cards. These items aren't published either, they're manufactured.

Because the original design of the database was primarily for games, non-game items do not use the Developer and Publisher fields the same way. Here is a quick list of non-game items and which fields are appropriate:
- Toys, interactive figures, cards, artwork, clothing, food swag items: both should be blank