Author Topic: Fake This! Pokemon is the most faked I've seen.  (Read 779 times)

Fake This! Pokemon is the most faked I've seen.
« on: July 25, 2023, 03:50:08 pm »
Hi! I'd like to know when the counterfeit games industry started.

Counterfeit :'(      /--- Authentic >:(
                       -----------------------------
Plus, I've got many physical SNES games, plus few physical GBA/GBC/PS2 games. Could you help find which GB/GBC games I could own first?

And last of all...

AVOID SHOVELWARE AT ALL COSTS!!!!

sworddude

Re: Fake This! Pokemon is the most faked I've seen.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 06:25:00 am »
counterfeit market was a thing since gameboy era back in the day.

But it definitely peaked during gba era. even legit electronic stores would sell fake games especially pokemon because they didn't knew any better.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 01:20:07 pm »
Since the 90s, possibly even before that. My uncle went to Hong Kong back in the mid 90s and said there were a ton of bootleg Genesis and SNES games for sale at various shops. When he told me they cost around $10 American dollars each, I got mad at him for not picking me up a few considering the same games were being sold for $60+ in the US lol. But with the internet becoming more of a thing, it has really taken off over the past 10-years or so. It seems like you're just as likely now to come across a fake Pokemon handheld game as you are a real one. I even know several indie game stores that sell fakes along with real copies, given they tell you which is which, but the fakes are like $30 while the real ones are priced according to ebay/pricecharting. It's a really sad state of affairs, not because I'm completely against piracy, but because many people buy the fakes not knowing they've been duped. A few years ago a guy whose in a gaming buy/sell/trade Facebook group I follow sold some of the GBA pokemon games to another member, only to find out that he'd sold him bootleg copies. I believed the guy's sincerity when he said he had no idea. Supposedly he bought them off ebay, thinking they were real. But you really have to be on your guard now since even the labels aren't a dead giveaway like they used to be. Only way to truly tell is if you open it up and look at the board. Same goes for high dollar SNES, Genesis, and NES games too.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 01:43:01 pm »
I think the bootleg market got started during the Famicom era. The Chinese government at the time wouldn't allow imports of games from Japan, so Chinese groups created bootlegs to sell domestically. It definitely got ramped up during the Pokemon era. I remember going to Frank and Sons (a collectible convention in LA) and marveling at a guy selling Pokemon Diamond! This was in 2001 or so, way before there was a real Pokemon Diamond. I thought it was an exotic game that hadn't been released in the US yet, so I got it... only to discover it was a pirated pachislot game. All the game soundtrack CDs I bought from that guy ended up being fakes too. Doh!

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 09:33:30 pm »
i would think bootlegs started in the 2600 era but started to get bigger in the nes era and on towards the gba era. i think there are fakes of ds games also.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 10:17:07 am »
Yeah, and there are like anti piracy methods. For example, if someone pirates the cart of Chrono Trigger for SNES, it will not boot.

ferraroso

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 02:25:55 am »
I'd say counterfeits have been around for as long as games exist.
I remember seeing lot's of fake Atari 2600 cartridges back in the 80's.
Down in South America, in the 90's you'd have a hard time trying to find an original NES game.
Most 16-bit cartridges were originals, but the same can't be said about the first two PlayStations. The first time I ever saw an original PS1 disc was probably around 2004 or so. back in the day, they were virtually non-existant in Brazil. I used to own hundreds of PS1 games purchased by the equivalent to US$2.00 or less.

In Brazil, owning original software only became commonplace around 2013 or so...

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2023, 02:46:25 pm »
Warning: You have seized a pirated cart of Pokemon for your GBA/DS. The game cannot be read.

"It's fake, you eeeeeeeeeediot!!" - Ren Hoek

pzeke

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 09:33:48 pm »
How to spot bootleg Pokémon games (GBA/NDS).

"Death is life's great reward."
—Ren Höek

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!