Author Topic: Category/Platform Requests 2.0  (Read 38995 times)

dhaabi

Re: Category/Platform Requests 2.0
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2024, 10:09:32 am »
That Ohio Art item, is it not the console?

For the Sharp and NEC items, we already have a similar situation with the Psion Series 3. So I can make categories in PDA section for the games but the systems won't get entries. And to make sure we are clear, only the games can get entries and not the non-game software.

Famicom Network System would be treated no differently than say the Sega 32X. The add-on goes into Accessory and the software would get their own sub-cat. You think "Famicom Network System" is a good enough name for those cards? And in the case of the non-game cards, since the Famicom is a console (and not a computer) you can make the entries for the non-game cards.

I was referring to the third image in the link, which I should have clarified.

Got it.

I knew the situation was similar to Sega 32X but misremembered, forgetting that games only have categories. Doesn't this only apply to the Family Computer Network System add-on itself? The Dataship 1200 is its own console dedicated to reading Family Computer Network System cards only and not Famicom cartridges, so submitting it to the existing NES/Famicom Consoles sub-cat seems incorrect. Since the name is actually spelled out fully on the peripheral and cards, I think that a category name of Family Computer Network System would be more ideal.

As an aside, I'm not really sure why the existing NES/Famicom category is abbreviated like that, since no other major category abbreviates (e.g. PlayStation 2 isn't PS2.) Neither "NES" nor "Famicom" is used on box packaging for those systems. It becomes complicated with SNES/Super Famicom, though, because "Super Nintendo Entertainment System," "Super NES," and "SNES" is used interchangeably. "Super Famicom" does seem to be the only term used in Japan, though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 11:21:21 am by dhaabi »

tripredacus

Re: Category/Platform Requests 2.0
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2024, 12:07:06 pm »
Added the category for Ohio Art Accessory

Can't make changes to Nintendo category naming conventions, Jason reserves this right. So this is why I'd say Famicom Network System should be used because we aren't going to change the other cats to match if we called it Family Computer. I have made the "Famicon Network System" sub-cat in NES/Famicom.

Also, I'd put the Dataship 1200 into NES/Famicom Consoles section. I don't think the fact that you can't put carts into it matters as it is still a Famicom. If the add-on comes with a game, then it would be put into the game category and not the accessory category.