Author Topic: What 10 games would you show to someone who had never played video games before?  (Read 3589 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

If “show” meant they watch while I play and try to convince them to give it a try...

Detroit: Become Human
Shadow of the Colossus Reremastered
Horizon Zero Dawn
Double Dragon Neon
Any Karaoke title
Wii Play
Tiger Woods the Masters on Wii
Trauma Center New Blood Wii
Risk Factions
Late Shift

Idea being these games can be fun experiences to watch.

I was always bored watching other people play shooters, platformers, etc. but I can get into a good story or social experience even if I’m not driving it.

wolfen

I feel like people mentioning old games like the original Super Mario Bros. are seeing through nostalgia goggles. A lot of those older games are pretty difficult to get anyone into, let alone a non gaming person, mostly because their mechanics haven't aged well or they were made specifically too difficult so you spent more time on them. The only games my family have ever been interested in watching me play were games with great stories or visually beautiful/colorful games, and the only games I ever saw my parents play were Wii sports and Mario Kart. So you want something simple and pretty, but fun and possibly something with a good story.

Horizon Zero Dawn: It's a beautiful game with a fantastic story plus it has a specific mode that lets you focus more on the story than combat.

Yoshi's Whooly World: A very colorful, cute, fun game which is very easy to play. Dying doesn't really matter and if it's too hard there is an easy mode as well.

Zelda Breath of the Wild: For some odd reason non gamers seem to really love this game even though it can get pretty difficult. It could be the absolute freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want or the fact that it's kind of just a sandbox game with a story slapped onto it.

Mario Kart Wii/Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Like I mentioned before, very easy to drop into and just play and have fun. Even if you get your ass kicked you have items to help with your skill gap.

Wii Play/Sports/Resort: Another thing I've noticed is that older people love playing games with motion controls rather than through a standard controller. Easy to get into and little to no buttons to learn.

Super Smash Bros: Any Smash Bros game is gonna be a fun time with both children and adults. Preferably the newest version because they're generally the easiest to play.

Mario Party: Another series that everyone can have fun with regardless of age or skill. Obviously there is some strategy with Mario Party but the luck/chaos involved is what makes it easy for newbies to get into.

The Last Guardian: This one could either be watched or played depending on the person. It has an incredibly emotional and unique story that is easy to keep up with and the gameplay is not very intense as it's mostly just you going through puzzles with a big dog bird thing, plus the visuals are incredibly stunning.

Tetris: This game is one of the most universally known games ever and if you don't know about it, it's so easy to get into. It's like the blocks that kids put together when in preschool or LEGO. No brainer ezpz for anyone.

That's all I can think of.

Red Dead Redemption
The Sims 2
Donkey Kong Country 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Hitman (Next Gen)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Heavy Rain
Jet Set Radio
Uncharted 4
Mass Effect

pzeke

Normally I would recommend games based on individual tastes, but throwing that aside for argument’s sake, and the topic, I’m going to assume the person I’m recommending games only has a PS2, therefore he/she is limited only to PS2 and PS1 games, as well as has a PC for the sake of emulation. In that scenario, I would try to keep it simple and recommend games I’ve played myself that aren’t overly complicated, but can in turn potentially open the floodgates for that person to go out and seek out more games to play.

I would recommend:

• Kirby's Adventure
• Super Mario World
• StarFox (SNES)
• Mega Man X
• Pokémon Yellow Version
• Twisted Metal 2
• Metal Gear Solid
• Ico / Shadow of the Colossus
• Capcom Classics Collection
• Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy

The first game I listed was actually Tetris, but I personally would rather prefer a novice have a far more interactive and dynamic gaming experience, they can easily pick up a puzzle game at a later time; I feel most people have experienced puzzlers one way or another in their life, anyway. Overall, I believe these games are a good balance for a newcomer, especially with the diversity that Capcom Classics Collection offers. I actually chose Volume 2 instead, but decided against it; and was initially going to include Taito Legends 2 in the list, but one compilation title is enough, plus I feel Capcom Classics Collection is a bit more cohesive (if I’m even making sense by saying that). And yes, I reckon I’m kind of cheating by choosing a compilation game, but it has some truly worthwhile titles that I’m sure a newcomer would greatly enjoy. I also know I’m cheating by bundling Ico and Shadow of the Colossus together, but anyone that has played both knows where I’m going with that. In a way, you can’t have one without the other, and I’m sure a newbie will enjoy the experience of playing both, one after the other. I would’ve included Katamari Damacy and Ōkami in the list, as I feel they both would be a nice choice for a beginner, but I’ve yet to play them to feel comfortable enough to recommend them. I also think Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot are strong choices, but I already selected various platformers. Lastly, I refrained from including strenuous RPGs since I believe it would be better for a person experiencing video games for the very first time to be introduced to the genre as gingerly as possible, thus why I chose Pokémon Yellow.

And that's it.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:31:40 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dhaabi

There are all sorts of ways to approach this kind of scenario, but something to consider is that, for someone who has never played a game, they're going to be completely unfamiliar about all the intricacies of systems and mechanics. To an experienced player, these elements may come natural, but I guarantee they didn't always and do take time to understand and become comfortable with.

My selection focuses on 2D games or 3D games which aren't heavily action-focused, because navigating 3D spaces and camera control are mechanics which are difficult to learn and operate. I took time to consider the various gameplay components certain genres are known to have which can serve as a stepping stone for newcomers to seek out more complicated games and genres. Also, nearly all of my choices reflect games I've personally played or are from a series I've played, and ones that I feel go beyond listing gaming classics like Pong or Tetris which are almost always present on these sorts of lists. I would also consider my choices to be suitable for all ages.

Among Us: While its gameplay is simple to understand, it requires the player to prioritize certain actions over others while also needing to use deductive reasoning in a social scenario. Because players are assigned to either a defensive or offensive role, how one plays will vary dramatically, and there are various tactics involved to employ while on the offensive, whereas an eye for detail must be learned while on the defensive. Because of the game's matchmaking setup, no team matches will play the same.

Bit.Trip Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien: Known for its more arcade-like gameplay, Runner2 helps players train their reaction speeds against various course obstacles, all while actions are set to a rhythm to follow. The game's generous checkpoint system is also a highlight, as it grants an easier means for players to overcome challenges.

Flower: Apart from its art game aesthetic, Flower is an ideal example at introducing players to 3D environments. It offers players an abstract narrative that's simple to understand yet one that's still a marvel to experience. Its entire presentation leaves an impactful impression, and I think it introduces the idea that games can be much more than just a tool for amusement effectively.

Minecraft: Introducing a sandbox type game seems important, and Minecraft seems to best suit that criteria. Players can choose what sort of play experience they'd like to have at any given time, that being Survival or Creative Modes. Of course, that the game is procedurally generated means that it will never be possible to fully explore its world, even should players want to. At the same time, a vast array of mod and customization options are also available to try. Due to its simple art style and world design, navigating its 3D environments doesn't seem that it'd be difficult to grow used to. Should players want to experience Survival Mode, straightforward combat and survival mechanics without convoluted systems, or ones which mimic real world needs such as health and hunger, are present.

Ms. Pac-Man: Because of its single-screen gameplay, Ms. Pac-Man is an ideal choice for players to practice careful precision and reactive decisions. Enemy encounters are semi-randomized which means there are no set patterns to follow, so players won't be able to memorize enemy movements to overcome stages. Life system mechanics are introduced, and the corner power pellets offer a risk-reward system while managing time.

Pokémon Sword/Shield: While perhaps simple at first glance, Pokémon's battle systems do provide a notable level of difficult in learning, but these entries further modernize the franchise in helping overcome this problem, as type weaknesses and strengths are now present during battle. Its role-playing level mechanics are straightforward, and its stat system can be entirely overlooked by the casual player. However, should players want to invest in it, the system is always available. The game's local and online battle systems also offer a more intricate experience while trying to win.

Pushmo: I considered several different puzzle games as options, but I ultimately decided on Pushmo. There are no set timers, so players are free to carefully plan out their actions while adjusting for inevitable mistakes that will be made. At the same time, players move about a 2D plane but are required to solve 3D puzzles.

The Stanley Parable: Many praise certain types of open-ended games with player decisions having critical narrative consequences, yet The Stanley Parable is the only one which comes to mind that isn't bogged down with intensive combat or strategy systems. It's a game that regularly breaks the fourth wall while subverting all sorts of tropes, so its unsuspecting narrative offers a unique and memorable experience.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder: I've played few traditional Maio platformers, but I'm aware of Nintendo's distinguished efforts across the series which accommodates for new players and veterans alike. Altogether, they're excellent games for someone wanting to learn new gameplay mechanics to then later master everything each course offers. So, this means becoming acquainted with more basic elements like 2D navigation while under a time limit to more complicated ones like time-focused player inputs to maneuver through dangerous obstacles to collect optional items. Wonder is no exception, and it's most approachable and accessible than previous entries.

We Love Katamari: Apart from being a personal favorite of mine, We Love Katamari seems ideal for it being a low-risk type of game. It effectively introduces 3D camera control, time limits, the need to overcome spatial obstacles, and it's a fine example of a game which rewards player exploration. Additionally, its simple objective-based stages are straightforward to understand, and a fair number of stages with alternative types of objectives also exist which make the game even more varied to maintain interest.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2024, 05:02:27 pm by dhaabi »

Tetris

Galaga

Super Mario Odyssey: This game combines great graphics, great music and fun gameplay that's easy to learn.

Final Fantasy VI: The easy difficulty combined with a grand storyline will show them the full potential of games as a medium for telling stories.

Mario Kart Wii

Metroid: Zero Mission: A Metroid game for newcomers to the franchise, and still as open-ended as many other games.

VVVVVV: A showcase for Indie games and how they transformed gaming that is forgiving despite its difficulty.

Super Mario RPG: An ideal first RPG for new players whether its the original or the remake.

Streets of Rage 2: This game will get anyone hooked on beat-em-ups.

Mega Man 10: The recommended Mega Man to start with considering it has an Easy Mode.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 12:14:37 pm by courtlyhades296 »

Depends on the person. It's difficult to make a general list.

• Someone who's completely new to games probably don't have the type of fine motor skills necessary to play most games so there would definitely be some games that don't need too accurate timing and fine reflexes. I've tried making my father play racing games and he couldn't keep the car on the track.
  • I'd also take into consideration the individual's interests in other entertainment media.
  • It's also good if the mage has a fast learning curve to give a good amount of positive reinforcement.
  • And then there are the language skills. I'm not a native English speaker myself so I know that something that is heavy on story/lore is a hard sell if the game isn't localized. Back when I was a kid localized games were rare so RPGs were just impossible to play. I vividly remember how lost I was in Baldur's Gate II at age 11, only a couple of months after I started learning English in elementary school

Games that have a good chance to be in the 10:
    • Portal/Portal 2; Superliminal; The Talos Principle
      Easy to get into without knowing English, and shows the "good" side of gaming to someone who might think it's all violence and no brain work. They can also be a good gateway to FPS games
    • Hob; Orin and the Blind Forest; Trine
      More action focused and artistic in presentation. I also think they are good gateway to platformers.
    • Dragon Age: Origins; Mass Effect; The Witcher
      All got full localization if necessary and I think they are decent entries for the two main type of western RPGs.
    • The Sims 2
      It's a doll house. I think it can be good for women. Fully localized.
    • Codename Panzers; Command & Conquer 3
      Fully localized introductions to real time strategy and real time tactics games.
    • Killer Instinct
      You can play as a cyborg raptor wearing cheerleader outfit. If that doesn't convinces someone then nothing will. ;D