Author Topic: Recently Added to Other Collections  (Read 89870 times)

scott

Re: Recently Added to Other Collections
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2012, 02:46:55 pm »
Considering I rip everything to FLAC, damn straight. :p
[/quote]

Ha, ya I would be using FLAC too, but I don't feel like trying to not brick my iPod rockboxing it to play FLAC files. So I just rip it all to ALAC.

And, I finished up my CDs last night and ended up at 10.3 days. Got a way to go before I catch up to Darko. haha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

foxhack

« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2012, 03:02:48 pm »
Ha, ya I would be using FLAC too, but I don't feel like trying to not brick my iPod rockboxing it to play FLAC files. So I just rip it all to ALAC.

And, I finished up my CDs last night and ended up at 10.3 days. Got a way to go before I catch up to Darko. haha
... are you serious, wait why am I surprised that Apple isn't using the same codec everyone else uses and instead they have their own.

scott

« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2012, 04:01:30 pm »
Yup stock iPods don't support FLAC at all. So if I want lossless audio I have to go with their built in Apple Lossless Encoder. If I want to run FLAC, I'd have to install custom firmware onto the iPod and according to a few forum threads I've read they suggest rockbox.

But I don't feel like ruining a brand new iPod, so I'll live with ALAC as my lossless format. Even though FLAC is prolly waaaay more storage space friendly.

foxhack

« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2012, 05:59:21 pm »
I read that FLAC and ALAC take up more or less the same space. I'm just not surprised that Apple went with propietary codecs again instead of using something anyone can use.

Also, unless you're backing up your music for archival purposes (like I do) there really is no need for FLAC. MP3 at the highest quality is still pretty good.

scott

« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
Ya I'm ripping my CD collection as ALAC. But dumping the songs the songs to the iPod as 256kbps AAC. But I think I'm going to need to invest in a second hard drive, or a better portable drive eventually.  :)

pacpix

« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2012, 06:42:59 pm »
Today I picked up Megadeth Rust In Peace and Genesis The Hits
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

darko

« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »
I read that FLAC and ALAC take up more or less the same space. I'm just not surprised that Apple went with propietary codecs again instead of using something anyone can use.

Also, unless you're backing up your music for archival purposes (like I do) there really is no need for FLAC. MP3 at the highest quality is still pretty good.

Just for the record, Apple products will play FLAC, you just have to use something other than iTunes to rip it in that format. A lot of my music that I have on my computer is FLAC. I can tell a significant difference between FLAC and high quality MP3 in my car and over my stereo system in my house. Everywhere else? Not really.

scott

« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2012, 01:37:22 pm »
Really? Everything I read suggested that you needed to mod your iPod in order to play FLAC files. Not that it matters though, since I'm using AAC files on the iPod itself, since they take up half the space and I can't really tell the difference, even with my Audio-Technica ATH-EW9's on.

darko

« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2012, 03:44:45 pm »
Really? Everything I read suggested that you needed to mod your iPod in order to play FLAC files. Not that it matters though, since I'm using AAC files on the iPod itself, since they take up half the space and I can't really tell the difference, even with my Audio-Technica ATH-EW9's on.

Well, I usually jailbreak every apple product I own so maybe something opens up when you do that? iTunes has zero issue playing FLAC on my computer or on my iPhone (unless something else is going on that I don't know about).

foxhack

« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2012, 11:34:01 pm »
I just won free (digital) copies of PPPPPPowerup and Adventure by Souleye. He's the guy who made the music for VVVVVV, and you can listen to the albums at the above links. PPPPPPowerup is a VVVVVV remix album, and Adventure features lots of music from other projects, including remixes.

blipcs76

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2012, 11:12:59 am »
Today I picked up Megadeth Rust In Peace and Genesis The Hits

Awesome!  Rust In Peace is, IMO, the greatest metal album of all time (I've bought it 3 times, on cassette, CD, and the remastered CD).  It's also the album that changed me from a radio-pop listening pre-teen to a metal loving adult.  Tornado of Souls is my absolute favorite song.

pacpix

« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2012, 12:40:21 am »
Today I got:
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon.  I have seen this album cover a lot on shirts and stuff so I decided to see what the heck it was on YouTube and thought it was pretty good!

Death- Symbolic.  This is pretty much the only Death Metal I have liked at all other than Sepultura and Testament's Dog Faced Gods.  Amazing album!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

scott

« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2012, 08:28:57 am »
Dark Side of the Moon is really good. But I'll always be partial to The Wall, since it was the 1st Floyd album I ever bought. Another good album of theirs is Wish You Were Here. The track of the same name on that album is one of my favorite songs ever.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2012, 09:46:47 am »
Have ya'll ever checked out the album "Meddle"?  It gets overlooked a lot, but it's actually really good.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2012, 09:53:14 am »
Dark Side of the Moon is really good. But I'll always be partial to The Wall, since it was the 1st Floyd album I ever bought. Another good album of theirs is Wish You Were Here. The track of the same name on that album is one of my favorite songs ever.

EXACTLY this for me, too :P

Who here has watched (and *remembers* watching:) "The Wall" movie?

Eh - while I'm at it...same question for the movie "The Song Remains the Same"?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"