Author Topic: Where do you buy your games?  (Read 8973 times)

Re: Where do you buy your games?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 04:29:39 pm »
The internet!
Really, that's the best place for me to get games. lukiegames, jjgames, mtgfanatic, japangamestock, just random google searches for random sites... those are generally the best way for me to buy "retro" stuff... ebay is bad since people keep overcharging for old games (though I sometimes find good deals on imports). For current-gen stuff ebay is not too bad ways to get used modern games sometimes for decent prices. Not counting the stuff I pre-order online, for that I just go wherever the best deal is (which has actually been Future Shop recently).

Lukiegames was actually one of the first places I checked for PS1 games. I thought they were kind of expensive though. Most of the games I was looking for were $50+ and a couple of them were almost $100. I can't figure out if the games are rare or just overpriced. On current-gen stuff I've been able to get some good deals on eBay and Amazon too.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 04:45:25 pm »
@Disgaeniac, I always meet people at the mall when I buy things off craigslist as I prefer not to be robbed!

-  I'm glad to hear that you're being smart about meeting/buying from Craig's list :)

Also, I didn't know GS was phasing out PS2 games. Do you think they'll have a big sale to get rid of stuff?

- I'm not really sure...

I live within about 1/2 hour of 3 Game Stop stores.
The closest one (about 10 min) is my "main" one.

I'm pretty good friends w/ one of the senior workers there (as in, I make sure he gets all of my pre-orders & I also give him 10's on my "Satisfaction Surveys" --and-- I often walk out w/ free (and unexpected) art books, OST's (yesterday it was some sealed box of Dishonored-Tarot-Cards), etc).

Anyway, what *their* doing is...they've removed all of the (used) PS2 & DS games from the store area.

Apparently, while 1 person's dealing w/ everyone & everything going on in the store - the other 2 are in the back-room, cataloging ~4,000 PS2 games and ~2,800 DS games.

Their new "system" is going to be PS2 & DS (used) games will be by request only  :o

The workers in the back room are supposedly 'listing' all of these games, so, I guess, everyone will have to be clustering around the desk to *see* what used PS2 & DS games are available...unless they walk-in knowing what, exactly, they want in advance...and asking for/about it  >:(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 04:53:48 pm »

Anyway, what *their* doing is...they've removed all of the (used) PS2 & DS games from the store area.

Apparently, while 1 person's dealing w/ everyone & everything going on in the store - the other 2 are in the back-room, cataloging ~4,000 PS2 games and ~2,800 DS games.

Their new "system" is going to be PS2 & DS (used) games will be by request only  :o

The workers in the back room are supposedly 'listing' all of these games, so, I guess, everyone will have to be clustering around the desk to *see* what used PS2 & DS games are available...unless they walk-in knowing what, exactly, they want in advance...and asking for/about it  >:(

LMAO, that has to be one of the most ignorant things Ive ever heard. So basically in order to get a ps2, ds, or any game they carry thats not the most current crap, you have to walk in and ask to look at a book of what they have? Lamestop really is a sort spot in the gaming world. I really wish they would go out of business. Im guessing once download only consoles hit the market, they will. It makes me sad to walk into a "game store" and hear more about ipads and cell phones than games (and the games you do actually hear about is the 95th NFL installment or every sequel to every worthless FPS game made).

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 05:00:33 pm »
- I'm not really sure...

I live within about 1/2 hour of 3 Game Stop stores.
The closest one (about 10 min) is my "main" one.

I'm pretty good friends w/ one of the senior workers there (as in, I make sure he gets all of my pre-orders & I also give him 10's on my "Satisfaction Surveys" --and-- I often walk out w/ free (and unexpected) art books, OST's (yesterday it was some sealed box of Dishonored-Tarot-Cards), etc).

This "system" sounds complicated and a little pointless. I've actually purchased a majority of my PS2 games online so will they no longer be available online either once this new system is put into place?

jobocan

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 05:12:09 pm »
The internet!
Really, that's the best place for me to get games. lukiegames, jjgames, mtgfanatic, japangamestock, just random google searches for random sites... those are generally the best way for me to buy "retro" stuff... ebay is bad since people keep overcharging for old games (though I sometimes find good deals on imports). For current-gen stuff ebay is not too bad ways to get used modern games sometimes for decent prices. Not counting the stuff I pre-order online, for that I just go wherever the best deal is (which has actually been Future Shop recently).

Lukiegames was actually one of the first places I checked for PS1 games. I thought they were kind of expensive though. Most of the games I was looking for were $50+ and a couple of them were almost $100. I can't figure out if the games are rare or just overpriced. On current-gen stuff I've been able to get some good deals on eBay and Amazon too.

Yeah, lukiegames isn't the best place for the "rarer"/more expensive games, but if you're looking for a lot of the cheaper stuff, that free shipping is very nice :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 05:13:07 pm »
I'm not sure about GS on-line...

...but...

I am w/ you 100%, Soera
 8)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 05:25:04 pm »
@ shoryuken4u:

Another friend of mine (that moved from here in NJ to FL a couple of years ago) has a good selection & good prices on games & systems ---and--- he's honest and doesn't mis-represent the condition of his merchandise...*BUT*...he's been known to be pretty damned slow sometimes that you can check-out is:

http://collectorscardsandgames.com

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 06:05:22 pm »
@ shoryuken4u:

Another friend of mine (that moved from here in NJ to FL a couple of years ago) has a good selection & good prices on games & systems ---and--- he's honest and doesn't mis-represent the condition of his merchandise...*BUT*...he's been known to be pretty damned slow sometimes that you can check-out is:

http://collectorscardsandgames.com

Awesome! I'll definitely check this out. I've had sellers misrepresent the condition of games to the point where it's almost laughable so I'm always on the look out for a reliable seller. Thanks!

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »
This guy sounds awesome, I would actually take a trip down to Boca Raton to buy stuff, if I had the cash :p I'll have to order from him one of these days!

htimreimer

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 11:31:37 pm »
Yard sales and thrift stores have never been successes for me, but still check them out, you never know.
it all depends on what thrift stores you go to some like one that's only 1 minute from me has every thing from pc games to dreamcast games

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 12:58:56 am »
First off, Awesome screen name! Me personally I have bought a ton at thrift stores in great shape and generally complete, in fact my entire ps1 ans ps2 collection is from thrift stores, I know sometimes there seems to be nothing there but keep checking eventually they'll get something especially playstation also check different thirft stores in different areas. I can kind of seem like quite the adventure to find things but it's worth it with how much money you save.
If I need to buy something off the internet it's generally for systems that you cant really find things in thrift stores,neo geo, saturn and turbo grafx. Otherwise I say keep checking the thrift stores and have some patience with it you will find something 

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 02:30:36 am »
First off, Awesome screen name! Me personally I have bought a ton at thrift stores in great shape and generally complete, in fact my entire ps1 ans ps2 collection is from thrift stores, I know sometimes there seems to be nothing there but keep checking eventually they'll get something especially playstation also check different thirft stores in different areas. I can kind of seem like quite the adventure to find things but it's worth it with how much money you save.
If I need to buy something off the internet it's generally for systems that you cant really find things in thrift stores,neo geo, saturn and turbo grafx. Otherwise I say keep checking the thrift stores and have some patience with it you will find something

I live not too far away from about three HUGE thrift stores and so far, no luck at all. They have lots of games but they are all sports games for some reason. I do intend to keep checking at the stores as I assume some good games might show up eventually. I've paid anywhere from $8 to $25 for PS2 games which isn't terrible but when you're buying several games at once it definitely adds up. So I'd like to find some bargains!

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 03:08:40 am »
Amazon and Ebay.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 09:58:17 am »
You gotta hit them streets, Son!  Thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets are all gold.  You'll strike out 95% of the time, but that one time you find something awesome for $2 it's all worth it.  \

Keep an eye on craigslist.  You can find some good stuff and people are willing to haggle.  Folks that post on there either A) are strapped for cash and need some now or B) don't give a squat about what they are selling.  In my experience, it's a good place to find deals.  Just don't get robbed.

I love game stores.  I love Game Xchange.  They have set prices on there stuff and most of the time it pretty fair.  Unless it is an RPG, SNES games top out at $20.  That is a deal.  These stores make 99% of their money on current gen stuff.  Take advantage and hit them up if you can find one. 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 10:42:55 am »
Mike (@ collectorscardsandgames) is a friend of mine, so, to prevent any unintentional bias, I'll let some of the other members here (that didn't already know him) add-on to what I said...