Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1535844 times)

Flashback2012

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #12885 on: March 22, 2017, 11:22:42 am »
Do you say N.E.S., "ness", regular Nintendo, or just "Nintendo" when referring to the Nintendo Entertainment System?

Me, I still catch myself saying "regular Nintendo", because I grew up with both the NES and SNES when they were new, and that's how we differentiated the two of them back then; "regular Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo".

But when I'm on a forum or Facebook or something, I usually just type in "NES".

What about you?

I'm with you on the "Regular Nintendo".  I said that for years until I got into the collecting community.  Now adays, it's N.E.S. or NES.  I say them both.

Now, it makes my butthole pucker when I hear people say SNES as one word.  It's just a pet peeve of mine.  To each his own, but you won't catch me saying it.  It's a Super Nintendo or an S.N.E.S.  ;)

LOL I've long pronounced it as "Seh-Ness" and "Ness". I always figured it was acceptable to say it that way much in the same vein as how people say "Nah-Suh" in regards to The National Aeronautics and Space Administration.  ;)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12886 on: March 22, 2017, 05:04:08 pm »
Do you say N.E.S., "ness", regular Nintendo, or just "Nintendo" when referring to the Nintendo Entertainment System?

Me, I still catch myself saying "regular Nintendo", because I grew up with both the NES and SNES when they were new, and that's how we differentiated the two of them back then; "regular Nintendo" and "Super Nintendo".

But when I'm on a forum or Facebook or something, I usually just type in "NES".

What about you?

I'm with you on the "Regular Nintendo".  I said that for years until I got into the collecting community.  Now adays, it's N.E.S. or NES.  I say them both.

Now, it makes my butthole pucker when I hear people say SNES as one word.  It's just a pet peeve of mine.  To each his own, but you won't catch me saying it.  It's a Super Nintendo or an S.N.E.S.  ;)

LOL I've long pronounced it as "Seh-Ness" and "Ness". I always figured it was acceptable to say it that way much in the same vein as how people say "Nah-Suh" in regards to The National Aeronautics and Space Administration.  ;)

I'm cool with "Ness" but for some reason "Seh-Ness" makes my skin crawl. 
But, like I said, to each his own.

rayne315

« Reply #12887 on: March 23, 2017, 09:40:36 am »
when I was a kid I always pronounced it N.E.S and super Nintendo. I grew up a little (late ps1 early ps2 era) and I started calling it Ness and Super SNess (I know the super was dumb when I put an s sound at the beginning of the word). now-a-days I say N.E.S and S.N.E.S
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Warmsignal

« Reply #12888 on: March 23, 2017, 01:20:58 pm »
I never use NES or SNES as words. It's N.E.S. and Super Nintendo for me. When I was younger it was regular Nintendo, and Super Nintendo.

What drives me crazy sometimes is my brother calling Genesis just "Sega". To him, there's Master System, "Sega", Saturn, and Dreamcast. WTH. How do you forget that it's called Genesis? It gets confusing in conversation.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12889 on: March 23, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »
you know what I hate? Watching youtube and you get an ad that's 11+ minutes long, has nothing to do with what you're watching, (got a Let's Play going in the background while Deckbuilding because Sonic '06 is great rift Material and the commercial was a youtuber talking about a makeup company and her partnership with a makeup company) with no Skip Button. honestly this is why people use Adblock

« Reply #12890 on: March 24, 2017, 09:07:12 am »
You ever buy a game because you finally give up and buy it for a bit under retail (20%ish), which isn't a bad price... but then you see a copy a day or two later for like 50% off.

Needless to say, I now own 2 copies of said game.

rayne315

« Reply #12891 on: March 24, 2017, 09:56:59 am »
You ever buy a game because you finally give up and buy it for a bit under retail (20%ish), which isn't a bad price... but then you see a copy a day or two later for like 50% off.

return the more expensive one.

at least one of the games is still sealed correct? you can return it as the one you first purchased.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #12892 on: March 24, 2017, 10:05:36 am »

at least one of the games is still sealed correct? you can return it as the one you first purchased.
In my specific situation... both are eBay purchases, and both are not sealed.

desocietas

« Reply #12893 on: March 24, 2017, 01:20:10 pm »

Aw, I've totally been there. Have a few dupes because of that...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

shepard11

« Reply #12894 on: March 24, 2017, 01:39:00 pm »

Aw, I've totally been there. Have a few dupes because of that...

Done that more times than I care to admit. Good news I always find a good home for the extra copy to a fellow collector. And I hit a milestone this morning I got my 1300th game today. I really don't know how I feel about that.

Warmsignal

« Reply #12895 on: March 24, 2017, 06:21:16 pm »

I bought Captain Toad back at launch, $40 retail and just recently bought the Amiibo + game bundle for $20.

kashell

« Reply #12896 on: March 25, 2017, 12:44:35 pm »
I'll consciously buy two copies of a game if one comes with a CE. Then I can give my brother or someone the other copy for a gift.

rayne315

« Reply #12897 on: March 29, 2017, 11:20:33 am »
I would like imput by someone who is familiar with stock markets. im debating on making a substantial investment (for me) in a Taiwanese company called Macronix International Co., Ltd. these are the people who supply all the rom chips for Nintendo ds/3ds game cartridges. the reason I want to invest in them is for a few reasons:

1. with the decrease of chip sales (their main business) they are at a very low value (4.14 TWD or 0.13 USD or a market cap of 14.97billion TWD or 473million USD)
2. they have been dropping hints that they will be working with Nintendo on the NX and macronix's newer 75Nm rom chip capable of holdng MUCH MUCH more data than one currently in the 3ds like close to if not more than that of a bluray.
3. the possibility of the NX using cartridge based games (which if you don't know are actually faster than both reading from cd and reading from system memory) which has the possibility of pushing close to if not over 1 Billion chips the console generation. which would make their stock jump quite a lot.
4. from march 2006 to july 2007 there was a almost 400% increase in stock price that can be attributed to the Nintendo ds picking up in game sales (I looked over the sale numbers myself to make sure). and the stock currently is ~20-40% lower today than the low point in march of 2006.

of course the obvious negative that will make a loss very likely...

1. TWD to USD transfer rates can easily screw up these numbers and alter it either way (positively or negatively) and as I have never researched how currency transfer rates work I cant say for certain if its wise to invest in a Taiwanese company.
2. Taxes. I intend on keeping the investment for a minimum of 1 year making my US taxes on all potential income low-ish (15% instead of 30-35% for shorter than a year investment) but I do not know if  will also have to pay Taiwan's taxes on the return either. plus my brokerage fee (although low-ist 2-5% could radically affect any profits)
3. if the NX decides to go either cd only of download only I can easily make nothing.
4... should be more here but im drawing a blank.

So if you have any experience with stocks and think this is a wise/unwise investment I would love to hear from you.

also feel free to invest yourself if this sounds good to you, but do your own research to be informed for yourself before hand

I really am hoping someone took my advice here and bought some Macronix stock. I checked the stock today and it is up 200% from when I posted it 5-6 months ago. when you factor in currency fluctuations from USD to TWD you would actually be looking at 314%.

im not sure how high the stock is going to go but I am definitely going to watch the stock as it is appearing to be in a major upswing. im not sure if I would buy any at this point though because of that..

I just wish I had placed more money into it before hand.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #12898 on: March 30, 2017, 10:00:19 am »
I really hate that so many games are worth the same loose as they are complete.

I have a ton of boxes and manuals, but completing them isn't really worth it when for the same price I could just buy it complete already.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12899 on: March 30, 2017, 01:01:58 pm »
I really hate that so many games are worth the same loose as they are complete.

I have a ton of boxes and manuals, but completing them isn't really worth it when for the same price I could just buy it complete already.

If you do buy it complete again, you could use your loose copy for trade bait.