Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1550670 times)

soera

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #15600 on: March 05, 2021, 09:47:34 pm »
Damn gamers can get salty. I posted in a Facebook group if people think Zelda games could be considered a Metroidvania. People are getting straight pissed that I could even suggest such a thing. It's crazy.

I can totally see the comparison. You cant get to certain areas without certain items. It doesnt have the complete different zones that traditional Metroidvanias have but it definitely should be considered one .... especially if people think Paper Mario is an RPG.

pzeke

« Reply #15601 on: March 06, 2021, 10:39:57 am »
[...] especially if people think Paper Mario is an RPG.

Because it is. That the style of future iterations in the series have deviated somewhat over the years does not take away from the fact they're still at their core RPGs.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

« Reply #15602 on: March 06, 2021, 10:28:36 pm »
I have always wanted to have someone explain to me how the Paper Mario series is "not" an RPG? I struggle to see how they could be categorized as anything else. As for straying, the series has in some ways returned to it's roots. The battle system in Origami King is tediously strategic with it's brain teaser turn-based combat style.

As far as Zelda, that may or may not be a fair comparison, but I guess fans of the world's most beloved video game franchise don't take kindly to their favorite game being construed as a derivative work of any sort. Symphony of the Night came after, anyhow.

pzeke

« Reply #15603 on: March 07, 2021, 05:34:00 pm »
I have always wanted to have someone explain to me how the Paper Mario series is "not" an RPG? I struggle to see how they could be categorized as anything else. As for straying, the series has in some ways returned to it's roots. The battle system in Origami King is tediously strategic with it's brain teaser turn-based combat style.

That someone might as well be soera since he brought it up; I'd be delighted to read his reasoning given he's the one that once said sub-genres in a video game aren't important.

As far as Zelda, that may or may not be a fair comparison, but I guess fans of the world's most beloved video game franchise don't take kindly to their favorite game being construed as a derivative work of any sort. Symphony of the Night came after, anyhow.

The Legend of Zelda came first, Metroid after, plus the term was coined after Symphony of the Night, in which Igarashi has gone on record saying that Zelda was the inspiration, so let's call it "Zeldavania", instead. Regardless, if people want to retroactively label it "Metroidvania", then whatever floats their boat.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #15604 on: March 07, 2021, 06:13:57 pm »

From what I've seen it actually tends to be the Metroidvania fans that have a bigger issue.  I'd personally say that most Zelda titles have MV elements, but don't *quite* fall into that same genre, with some titles being closer than others.

Warmsignal

« Reply #15605 on: March 08, 2021, 11:20:00 pm »
It's been one of those days where I feel like I've prematurely become a relic to the times we live in. Took a trip to my home state's largest indoor mall, and man what a bummer that place is. Nearly half of the store fronts are shuttered and empty (permanently). I never thought I'd live to see the day when physical retail at large would die off, but it's coming sooner rather than later. This huge, multi-story mall has nearly nothing in it. A multi-floor parking garage that's entirely unnecessary at this point. Only one major retail establishment still remains there. It's such a drastic change, even from just 10 years ago.

All this to track down one of the only places where I could pick up a new release on CD, rather than order it online or just download it. But then my car doesn't have a CD player, that's too old-hat for today's infotainment systems, so I then tracked down an actual portable CD player to connect to my car's stereo because I've been meaning to get one as I have a large CD collection and no desire to load them all onto my phone.

It's times like these when I feel like I've become this stubborn old relic; holding onto the last remaining scraps of a by-gone era. In my head, things should still operate as they did in the 90s and 00s; this also speaks to why I am retro game collector as well. I'm not adjusting to the change, I don't like the change, frankly. It seems like things change just for the sake of it, and not because the old way was broken. I feel like yelling at clouds and telling youngsters how it was "in my day", and I'm not even that old. The change is so rapid now.

By the way, I will recommend Chevelle's NIRATIAS (Nothing Is Real, All of This Is A Simulation). I'm enjoying this one, it feels eerily relevant and ominous. It has a sci-fi dystopian theme about it. I interpret it as a sort of reproach on modernity, could be that's just the mood I'm currently in. It's good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:24:02 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #15606 on: March 09, 2021, 05:17:34 am »
It's been one of those days where I feel like I've prematurely become a relic to the times we live in. Took a trip to my home state's largest indoor mall, and man what a bummer that place is. Nearly half of the store fronts are shuttered and empty (permanently). I never thought I'd live to see the day when physical retail at large would die off, but it's coming sooner rather than later. This huge, multi-story mall has nearly nothing in it. A multi-floor parking garage that's entirely unnecessary at this point. Only one major retail establishment still remains there. It's such a drastic change, even from just 10 years ago.

All this to track down one of the only places where I could pick up a new release on CD, rather than order it online or just download it. But then my car doesn't have a CD player, that's too old-hat for today's infotainment systems, so I then tracked down an actual portable CD player to connect to my car's stereo because I've been meaning to get one as I have a large CD collection and no desire to load them all onto my phone.

It's times like these when I feel like I've become this stubborn old relic; holding onto the last remaining scraps of a by-gone era. In my head, things should still operate as they did in the 90s and 00s; this also speaks to why I am retro game collector as well. I'm not adjusting to the change, I don't like the change, frankly. It seems like things change just for the sake of it, and not because the old way was broken. I feel like yelling at clouds and telling youngsters how it was "in my day", and I'm not even that old. The change is so rapid now.

By the way, I will recommend Chevelle's NIRATIAS (Nothing Is Real, All of This Is A Simulation). I'm enjoying this one, it feels eerily relevant and ominous. It has a sci-fi dystopian theme about it. I interpret it as a sort of reproach on modernity, could be that's just the mood I'm currently in. It's good.

I think that things will go back to the way it was in the 1990's eventually. I am staying hopeful. Bottom line is children, teen and adults still play with toys, people in my neighborhood go outside and take walks more often now then they did. when I grew up in the 1990's and 2000's.

You can still buy new factory sealed CD's, video games, and movies even now at Walmart's online store. OR by going up to the actually store itself, and those are not digital downloads, no they are physical copies!

Because of this crisis now Walmart's physical stores are all packed in my area.. and so is Kroger. and the traffic is worse now then anytime in my life. Walmart is the facing no competition currently in my area now. but I'm sure another retailer like them, will pop up in my area because the commercial demand is there. I mean Walmart is thriving in my city. and when some store like Walmart thrives than that usually means someone will open another store that sells the same things as them.

I live in a major urban area, and I see people walking outside now both children, teens, elders, and adults are now walking around on foot in my neighborhood more than EVER and that almost never happened when I was growing up, so.

If you want to buy some great  new factory sealed Music CD's, DVD's or Bluray movies, for a low price. Walmart both online and offline is the place to go now. but I will warn you those physical stores are EXTREMLY crowded.

If you want used CD, DVD's Blurays and you don't want to shop online there then there always is flea markets and good will.s
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

kashell

« Reply #15607 on: March 09, 2021, 07:50:27 am »
My car is a 2013 model and it can play CDs. It's one of the many reasons why I want to keep it as long as possible.

« Reply #15608 on: March 09, 2021, 08:20:14 am »
Yeah, my 2018 car has a CD player too.  I wasn't aware they were phasing out CD players.  Don't bother me though, because I'd much rather load up my phone or run something like Amazon Music (no ads woo) than have to flip through a giant CD binder full of CDs.

« Reply #15609 on: March 09, 2021, 09:01:36 am »
Same.  2015 model and I've got a CD player that sees a fair-ish amount of use.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15610 on: March 09, 2021, 10:09:31 am »
My 2018 has a CD player in it. While I love my cd collection I still use my phone for music because of convenience. I just like that I can pop in a CD i just bought and listen to it on the way home.

Also never buy CDs from Walmart as they still just sell the censored versions.

« Reply #15611 on: March 09, 2021, 10:58:01 am »
First car I owned was a 2000 model and of course going that far back it would have a CD player however I will say in the 7 years I had it, I may have used it a total of 2 times. Often I would use an aux cable to plug in my Ipod and eventually went with a bluetooth adapter to connect my phone. Last year I got a 2018 model and no CD player which not an issue plus even better it has built bluetooth so no adapter needed. While I still have a sizeable cd collection, I like the convenience of having the music I want whether full album or specific songs on one device.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #15612 on: March 09, 2021, 11:24:01 am »
Just like video games, I prefer my music to be physical media. And I do have a CD player in my 2018. Though I have to admit, I usually just put on the radio or my phone music because it's a pain in the butt to go through CDs while driving. I play the CDs at home on my stereo.

pzeke

« Reply #15613 on: March 09, 2021, 12:07:31 pm »
My car still has both a cassette deck and a CD player, and they still work like a charm.

Yet they carry R rated movies and mature rated video games...and shotguns. Oh, and dildos, too!

Quip aside, they will on occassion carry uncensored CDs, though in very limited quantities.

Flashback2012

« Reply #15614 on: March 10, 2021, 09:07:50 am »
My car still has both a cassette deck and a CD player, and they still work like a charm.

Yet they carry R rated movies and mature rated video games...and shotguns. Oh, and dildos, too!

Quip aside, they will on occassion carry uncensored CDs, though in very limited quantities.

Dildos eh?  I have to wonder if they sell just those or if they offer other "recreational paraphernalia" there as well.  :o

I must admit, "Great Value FleshLight" is not a term I expected my brain to conjure up this morning but here we are.  :P