Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1536969 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #16125 on: January 31, 2022, 09:04:04 pm »
I just started Metroid Dread.
Jesus Christ!  I’m loving this game. Those damn EMMI droids scare the shit outta me!
I’m not very far along, but I’m digging it!

kashell

« Reply #16126 on: February 01, 2022, 08:05:03 am »
I finished it not too long ago! It was a toughie.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16127 on: February 05, 2022, 09:49:25 pm »
Leaving a game system in storage for over a decade; that's one way to break it. Pulled my OG GameCube out for the first time in forever. Of course, no controller to be found whatsoever but never mind that, it won't even spin a game disc, and the latch button is sticking really bad. Got this thing brand new I believe in 03 or 04, almost never played it... guess I killed it in storage, wasn't climate controlled.

EDIT

So I did nothing, and it randomly decided to boot up a game... for now.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 10:28:38 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #16128 on: February 06, 2022, 03:45:34 pm »
Apparently those crappy Sega ATGames emulation machines have shot up in price for some reason?  I got a couple dirt cheap a few years ago, and now I think I'm just gonna unload them to make some space in my office.

tripredacus

« Reply #16129 on: February 10, 2022, 12:09:23 pm »
The worst part of doing "big research" on a thing for this site is that I end up wanting to collect the things I am documenting. Like now that I got out of Yu-Gi-Oh hell, I want to collect those cards.

kashell

« Reply #16130 on: February 12, 2022, 01:19:10 pm »
Since this is the go-to place where folks gripe about transaction woes, then I guess I'll share this new scenario.

I've been using Mercari for selling and so far, it's been a positive experience 100% of the time. A buyer recently PM'd me asking if I'd lower a price on something and/or if I'd be willing to do a trade. That raised a red flag, but before I could respond the admin team deleted the message. The main thing was that trades (as far as I can tell) aren't allowed.

Today, I saw that same person bought the item at full price. As experience teaches us, it's important to look at who you're selling to before shipping something in the mail. The buyer created their account this month (02/2022). They have zero buy/sell history. Another red flag.

So, I messaged the Mercari help desk and that's where we are. Something about this scenario just seems...off. It's hard to explain. I've just been burned before on blindly accepting a sale once on something expensive and don't want to deal with that again.

What would you all do?

EDIT: The help desk took care of everything. They canceled the order and messaged the buyer. Eventually, I'll just relist the item.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 01:44:17 pm by kashell »

Warmsignal

« Reply #16131 on: February 12, 2022, 04:31:24 pm »
Whatever happened to that one website? Don't remember the name exactly, something like Goozex? Buying, selling, and trading of video games type of deal. Guess that lasted a whole year or two back in like 2011? Forgot about that place.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16132 on: February 12, 2022, 05:38:28 pm »
Whatever happened to that one website? Don't remember the name exactly, something like Goozex? Buying, selling, and trading of video games type of deal. Guess that lasted a whole year or two back in like 2011? Forgot about that place.

I used a few websites like that. I remember Switch Planet, and some other website that had a bee theme in their logo, but for the life of me I can't remember it's name.

GameTZ is still around, and has been for years. Traders have a profile with feedback, successful trades, etc. and marks profiles of bad traders. If trading isn't your thing you can always message each other and/or use the forums for traditional buying/selling. I'm technically still on there, but I haven't done any active trading in a while.

« Reply #16133 on: February 15, 2022, 11:53:11 pm »
I'm just blown away at how expensive Nintendo DS games have become. I kind of casually realized that every other game in my DS collection is going for between 100$ - 250$. I've just got to say, these games are not worth that kind of money. Controversial opinion incoming - I don't think any games are, to collect, or to play. These games are worth what people thought of them back in the 2000s, little to nothing. If they weren't cool then, why are they so cool now? It's a trend, a bandwagon FOMO. Pop in a 349057-in-1 and play those suckers. Nothing would make happier than to see it all depreciate to squat. Please don't pay these prices, it's nuts!

Went back to re-read some older posts and saw this so I thought I'd comment.

It blows me away with pretty much every older console/handheld now. I'll see a game go up on Facebook marketplace and my first reaction when seeing the seller's price is, "wow, what an asshole! He's so overcharging!" But then I'll actually look up completed listing on ebay and their prices are typically fair or even under ebay. And so many of these games were under $30 just a couple of years ago, and many of them I bought for under $10 at some point over the last decade or so. The craziest ones that get me the most are PS2 games that i used to see constantly around $15-$20 that now go for $100+. Or some of the survival horror games which while somewhat pricey 6 or 7 years ago are nowhere even close to where they are now. I bought 2 complete copies of Kuon from a bargain bin at a local game store for $5 each around 2013 or so. The freakin games is going for some insane amount like $700 or something. WTF...

But yeah, the DS is also insane. I still have some very desirable games in my collection, but I got rid of stuff I was fairly certain I'd never play like Zombie Bikini BBQ and Avalon Code, both of which are going for ridiculous money now. And then theres the far more common stuff like Pokemon Soulsilver/Heart Gold or the Castlevania games which are just unreal given how common these titles are. But whether its DS prices, PS2 prices, or pretty much any and all retro game prices, I'm just happy I picked up 95% of all the older games I'd ever wanted years before this shit got so insane. If older games had been even half this expensive back when I first started I'd have never got into it to begin with. I don't know how or why people do it now, or better yet how many of them afford it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16134 on: February 16, 2022, 12:22:09 am »
Yep, I feel the same. So happy I got a lot of my collection years before.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16135 on: February 16, 2022, 10:31:01 am »
Another day, another crushed copy of an 8th gen game arrives in the mail. This is alarmingly common with 8th gen, in terms of shipping copies. I showed you guys the last steam-rolled one I got. Today I got another one smashed. The fragility of PS4/XB1 games is somewhere between SEGA Saturn and Xbox 360 era. It's kinda bad. They can't take a lot of abuse, like PS2 or even 360 games could. If you stack something too heavy on one of these, it's just gonna shatter... and I'm not about the shattering. I need mint. Especially when it's brand new.

Now begin the headache of returns.

I bought 2 complete copies of Kuon from a bargain bin at a local game store for $5 each around 2013 or so. The freakin games is going for some insane amount like $700 or something. WTF...

I really think a lot of the horror games are overblown, even by the collectors. They're not super rare, and they're also not that great to play, generally. Kuon was a budget title by AgeTec, and yet it's the holy grail of horror games? I sold off a spare of Haunting Ground for a copy of Sunset Riders. In retrospect, should have held onto it and bought myself a Series X with it. Ah well, I've got some other JRPGs I'll use for that.

If older games had been even half this expensive back when I first started I'd have never got into it to begin with. I don't know how or why people do it now, or better yet how many of them afford it.

Honestly, I think it's a whole different demographic now. Collectors use to be your run of the mill gamers who had a lot of nostalgia for the classics, and would turn their nose up at a reseller pushing a $10 copy of Mario 3. Today it's a wealthy man's hobby. People for whom money is no object in collecting. It's happened to other collectible hobbies in the past, and I'd say it's started to happen to games around 3 or 4 years back, when people with crazy money started buying sealed games for exorbitant prices, which in turn began to effect CIB prices, and even loose copy prices. Throw in Covid checks and it was just fuel for the mine fire that'll be burning for years.

It's awful, which is why I collect mostly just modern stuff now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 10:50:08 am by Warmsignal »

« Reply #16136 on: February 16, 2022, 10:58:24 am »
Yeah, I so rarely buy anything not modern these days.  I'll occasionally splurge and buy a PS2 game or something, but we're talking paying $5-10 for some derpy licensed PS2 game.

Other than some imports I bought on new years eve, I haven't really bought any non-modern stuff since like November... and that was mostly driven by stuff being added to BC on Xbox.

kashell

« Reply #16137 on: March 01, 2022, 08:09:42 am »
I know a lot of folks aren't keen on how expensive it is to buy games these days, but one perk of it is that I was able to sell Rule of Rose, Raidou Kuznoha 1 and 2 (all terrible games, note) for a lot of money. I'm not sure what I'll get with these profits yet (maybe some new Christian Louboutins) , but I'm excited to have extra "fun" money lying around now.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16138 on: March 06, 2022, 07:12:26 pm »
Why is it that I've heard people often say that there was no Star Fox game on the GameCube, when there were two and surely Assault counts as a main line entry (although nobody ever mentions that one). I've heard this comment a number of times, maybe they're thinking of the Wii? Wii didn't have Star Fox, but GameCube definitely did. Perhaps Assault is so forgotten that some aren't aware of it's existence?

« Reply #16139 on: March 07, 2022, 12:30:50 pm »
Why is it that I've heard people often say that there was no Star Fox game on the GameCube, when there were two and surely Assault counts as a main line entry (although nobody ever mentions that one). I've heard this comment a number of times, maybe they're thinking of the Wii? Wii didn't have Star Fox, but GameCube definitely did. Perhaps Assault is so forgotten that some aren't aware of it's existence?

Star Fox Adventure technically doesn't count by a lot of people if only because of what the game was supposed to be originally in Dinosaur Planet. Rather than let it be, they changed it to give a Star Fox flair if you will without being a Star Fox games. I would imagine that Assault was for the most part ignored due to the sour taste Adventure left. The fact that Wii never got a Star Fox game was weird though. Motion controls to pilot would I think would have worked well.