Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1595056 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #2370 on: May 29, 2014, 01:40:00 pm »
I had to take him off of follow the other day because my feed page was nothing but his pickups!   :o

:o

I know; right?!

He's scared me away from the "Recently Added To Collection" thread/topic; as reading his newest posts + additions was eating into my personal hygiene, eating, and sleeping time  :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Bwigdahl

« Reply #2371 on: May 29, 2014, 02:32:31 pm »
One of the things I find funny about game collections is how quickly they change relatively speaking... For instance, I have by far the largest video game collection of anyone I know irl, and yet I come on here and see most of you guys and get that small fish in a big pond feeling lol.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2372 on: May 29, 2014, 03:16:08 pm »
One of the things I find funny about game collections is how quickly they change relatively speaking... For instance, I have by far the largest video game collection of anyone I know irl, and yet I come on here and see most of you guys and get that small fish in a big pond feeling lol.

QFT

I'm sure that's a pretty common occurence & feeling here  8)

That's another thing that I like about the 'atmosphere' here at VGC...some of our "core" (oldest, most active & consistent) members here have ~100 games, while other *equally* "core"/"regular" members here have thousands & thousands of items in their collections...

...IMO, you've just gotta' love an almost completely "Fanboy/girl-free" Video game Collection site where total item #'s are unimportant and where they /=/ "How good" and/or "What Kind" of collector its members are.

Personally, I've never understood the mentality/motivation of (for example) going after 1,000 ("any, old") games as opposed to 100 that I'd actually really want & that I'll actually play  8)

I'm also a big fan of "themed" (like Soera & DQ, Scott + Castlevania, myself + NIS, Dr.L + NieR/Drakangard, etc) collections & would much rather own and look at a well put-together one of ~50  items than own/look at a shelf filled with 500-10,000 'filler' games.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #2373 on: May 29, 2014, 03:37:02 pm »
MOST of my collection is stuff that I'm actually interested in playing. I've definitely got some clunkers in there but I usually don't get a game unless I've heard of it and know how it plays... Most of the "bad" games in my collection are games that I remember playing as a kid and the nostalgia factor outweighs the i-know-this-game-is-shit factor (bubsy 1 and 2 for instance)... and I know sports games are generally seen as filler, but I do legitimately play most of the ones in my collection and I'm a sports nut who will literally just pop an old sports game in to look at and laugh at the rosters from back then (Brock Lesnar in Madden 06 for instance!).

I definitely see collecting being a very personal thing... Any collection is subjective and you could look through someone else's and just see a load of crap but to them it could be perfect and awesome... MAYBE SOME PEOPLE JUST LOVE EVERY SINGLE BARBIE GAME THAT HAS EVER COME OUT, OK! lol

soera

« Reply #2374 on: May 29, 2014, 03:48:41 pm »
My collection is a bit of both. I have the themed part that Kenny mentioned in my DQ stuff but I also have the complete stuff that Im working on in my NES/SMS.

And any collection on here is awesome as long as the collector enjoys it! Dont let totality get you discouraged.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2375 on: May 29, 2014, 03:57:00 pm »

And any collection on here is awesome as long as the collector enjoys it! Dont let totality get you discouraged.

Word  8)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if a loose copy of Gyromite makes you smile; show that thing off with pride.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2376 on: May 29, 2014, 04:06:41 pm »
My collection is a bit of both. I have the themed part that Kenny mentioned in my DQ stuff but I also have the complete stuff that Im working on in my NES/SMS.

No doubt.

I gues that "Focus" would have been a better word than "theme" - because, certainly a collection w/ a focus on ___ or a theme of ___ is just its own piece of the entirety of the collection itself.

Also, of course, "filler" games are very subjective...as a friend's sports games would be filler material in MY collection...much of my collection (favorite games) would get the "filler" moniker in his/her collections.

"One man's trash"...

90snostalga

« Reply #2377 on: May 29, 2014, 04:28:40 pm »
Anyone find their self going to Gamestop because of a secret crush on an employee there? Or is that just me?   ;)
Guilty...

I only saw her a few times and  I was either already thinking of a purchase beforehand or picking up a pre-order anyway.

MJMaranan, you are so awesome!!!!   8) 8) 8) :D :D :D  I'm speechless.  Thank you so much man. 

90snostalga

« Reply #2378 on: May 29, 2014, 04:30:44 pm »
So when I called Gamestop yesterday and asked if my store had the Mario Kart posters available to give out during the pre-orders, the lady that answered said yes and that I could come up there and get one before Friday if I wanted to.  Unfortunately, I was unable to make it so I decided to go this morning to go ahead and pick up the poster and she was not there but the store manager was.  He said he only had 50 posters but he could not give one out before the release date   :(  He told me to be early tomorrow to try and get it.  Hopefully I can make it there when they open at 10  to get my free poster  ;)

argyle

« Reply #2379 on: May 29, 2014, 04:35:31 pm »
I love seeking out weird, quirky games both for my collection but also because they are things I'd actually like to play.  That's just my thing.  :)  But I also have my RPG collections, and while I enjoy going for, say, all of the PS2 RPGs I do put weight into quality so although I know I'll want them for my collection, I'm not gonna give much for say Eternal Ring or Romancing Saga.  ;) 

But I almost take equal pride in pruning my collecting of a game that I consider crap & that has no place in a "set" I'm collecting for as I do in picking up a game that I "needed".  For example, I traded off Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 a couple months back & actually told the clerk "I don't care what you give me for it, just so you TAKE IT."  :P  It had no place in my collection.  I have other games like that that I'll probably end up pruning at some point. 

But the key is, like you guys have said, it's MY collection, so there is no "wrong" or "right" except for what I decide.  If I'm happy with it, that's all that matters in the end.  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

90snostalga

« Reply #2380 on: May 29, 2014, 04:37:49 pm »
I know Bully is not talked about alot or very very popular but its an okay game.  Pretty cool.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2381 on: May 29, 2014, 04:40:59 pm »
I know Bully is not talked about alot or very very popular but its an okay game.  Pretty cool.

The time-limits kills the game for me. You just want to explore and see where everything is at, but then dang, it's almost bed-time already and you're getting penalized for not being in your dorm-room. SOOO frustrating.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #2382 on: May 29, 2014, 04:46:30 pm »

I had a lot of fun with bully. it always felt like you were playing an old national lampoon movie. I even had fun with the mini game classes.

90snostalga

« Reply #2383 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:38 pm »
I checked online and according to Gamestops site, like 5 of my Gamestops have Cave Story 3D in stock.  If I can get the money tomorrow, I may go try to find one if its complete.  Should I get it anyways cart only for 25?  Or is it best to wait on it...

90snostalga

« Reply #2384 on: May 29, 2014, 04:54:46 pm »

I had a lot of fun with bully. it always felt like you were playing an old national lampoon movie. I even had fun with the mini game classes.

Yes I like doing those mini games and the pranks and stuff.  I do agree the time can be an issue but with patience, I have learned to work around the time schedule on it.  I think I actually like the time schedule because it seems a little more realistic to me.  Although I will say graphics wise, I feel like I'm playing a Dreamcast game.  At first, I found myself adjusting my screen and fooling with all my setting trying to make sure everything was okay because it reminds me so much of Shenmue 2 on the original XBOX and Dreamcast when it comes to graphics.