Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1651572 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3210 on: August 21, 2014, 02:03:14 pm »
Can someone clue me in on why so many gamers are demanding Robin Williams tributes in video games?

Don't get me wrong, great actor and funny guy. But what does that have to do with gaming?

kashell

« Reply #3211 on: August 21, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »
Can someone clue me in on why so many gamers are demanding Robin Williams tributes in video games?

Don't get me wrong, great actor and funny guy. But what does that have to do with gaming?

Who knows. When a celebrity that someone likes passes away, people start to get irrational. It's like they personally knew him or something. ~_~()

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3212 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:18 pm »
Another celebrity question:

The ice bucket challenge for Lou Gherigs disease that so many celebrities are doing: How does that raise money? They get an ice bucket dumped on them, they get free publicity in the process, and then where does the money come from? It's not like a Car Wash fundraiser or anything, nobody is paying them, right?

Am I missing something completely obvious here?

bobster

« Reply #3213 on: August 21, 2014, 02:12:20 pm »

The ice bucket challenge for Lou Gherigs disease that so many celebrities are doing: How does that raise money? They get an ice bucket dumped on them, they get free publicity in the process, and then where does the money come from? It's not like a Car Wash fundraiser or anything, nobody is paying them, right?

They generally donate anyways. Even if no money were to come in, it at least raises awareness of the disease. But yeah they've gotten something like 15 million when this time last year they only got 1.5.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

foxhack

« Reply #3214 on: August 21, 2014, 02:16:16 pm »

Because a lot of people loved his movies.

... and you really don't know about his life-long love of the Zelda series? He was a gamer, not as hardcore as a lot of us, but he played games and acknowledged it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3215 on: August 21, 2014, 02:18:41 pm »

Because a lot of people loved his movies.

... and you really don't know about his life-long love of the Zelda series? He was a gamer, not as hardcore as a lot of us, but he played games and acknowledged it.

Nope, not a clue on the Zelda thing.

I would think a tribute in comedy and film would be fitting. Video game tributes though? I think people are taking it a little too far.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3216 on: August 21, 2014, 02:20:56 pm »

Like Bobster said, they're still cutting a check.  They make a video of getting water dumped on them and they write a check.  It's raised a ton.

90snostalga

« Reply #3217 on: August 21, 2014, 04:28:02 pm »

because he loved the Zelda franchise and even named his daughter Zelda.

argyle

« Reply #3218 on: August 21, 2014, 04:33:53 pm »
@Argyle, is that placed in Millbrook called RPG?

The place I know about is in Prattville, and I *think* it has "retro games" somewhere in the name.  Not 100% on that tho - eventually I plan to get up there & see for myself! :P

I never get up to Millbrook, so I dunno what's up there - if you find something tho, lemme know!  ;)

EDIT:  Looks like we're both right (sorta ;) ) - it's call RGP, and that stands for Retro Game Planet.  So, the more you know.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/RGPER

Lol. I'll let you know. Maybe its because I'm not from up there but Pratville, Montgomery and Millbrook are all right there that they seem like one big city. You make it like Millbrook is far far away from Pratville lol. But yea, I'm actually going to try and get a job with them when I'm up there.

Honestly?

I'm not 100% sure where Millbrook is.   :-[  ;)

Hope you get that job - then maybe I can get a "VGCollect Friends" discount.  ;D

If it wasn't SO HOT I'd make a drive up there this weekend, from the pics on their Facebook page it looks like they have a LOT of stuff.  Some of the prices I can make out seem a little steep, but I've been told that they have no problem negotiating prices and also give good trade credit.  I'm thinking it might be easier for me to trade them my Atari 2600 + games then trying to sell it on ebay & having to pay those fees & shipping.

I understand. Where I would be going is to the country part of Montgomery which will be so different to me. I've always lived in the inner city and I've never had to drive far to get anywhere but a fresh start is good for me. If I did work there I would certainly get you a discount  :D

I'm actually going to try all the plants and the State jobs since the Capital is up there. What I did enjoy is there thrift stores galore! I've never seen so many in one area that I did not even see one goodwill.

There ARE a lot of thrift stores in the area, but I've never had a lot of luck on the gaming front with them.  Not to say I've never found ANYTHING, but I've gotten more out of town definitely.  There's a really nice flea market in Phoenix City, which is right at the Georgia border about an hour & a half drive from Montgomery.  I had some pretty good luck there earlier this year, and I'd like to try to go back one more time this year after it cools down some. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #3219 on: August 21, 2014, 06:21:48 pm »
So hey it's raining and there's hail and everything and I hate rain why do we always get flooded well because we're a desert and it's not supposed to rain that much but it does anyway

And hey there's the water again gotta go make sure WE DON'T GET FLOODED BECAUSE ALL THE WATER FROM THE NEIGHBORS GETS DUMPED IN OUR BACKYARD AND THE ONLY FUNCTIONAL DRAIN IS IN HERE

HELL

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3220 on: August 21, 2014, 07:41:56 pm »
So the last issue of Retro Gamer I picked up was back in May. My Barnes & Noble hadn't had an issue since, and I've been checking. So the last time I checked, I asked the lady at the counter if they had stopped carrying it. And she says she can't find a new order for it, so they must have. I was totally bummed.

Today I was waiting for a haircut, and decided to browse the magazines at Barnes & Noble while I was waiting, and lo and behold the new issue was there! Lucky me!

But if they didn't stop carrying it, then where the hell did issue #130 go? Because they kept the May issue out for quite a while (#129).

I'm a little frustrated it interrupts my run of issues, but I'm damn happy they didn't stop carrying the single best gaming magazine on the market!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:21:46 pm by burningdoom »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3221 on: August 22, 2014, 08:50:12 am »

Who knows. When a celebrity that someone likes passes away, people start to get irrational. It's like they personally knew him or something. ~_~()

because people put other people on pedestals for reasons that I've never understood.

why?

I dunno...might as well try to understand women   :P

tbqh, the few celebrities that I know have nothing but distrust & contempt for those who see and/or treat them as anything above, different, or better than any other people.

Like everything else, there are, of course, exceptions...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

90snostalga

« Reply #3222 on: August 22, 2014, 09:57:02 am »
Maybe I'm different but I think I would be cool to have a robin named character. But its all because he named his daughter Zelda. I guess no one read my post about that

abe

« Reply #3223 on: August 22, 2014, 04:56:59 pm »
Maybe I'm different but I think I would be cool to have a robin named character. But its all because he named his daughter Zelda. I guess no one read my post about that

:P
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3224 on: August 22, 2014, 10:52:52 pm »
My new shelf in my man-cave. My boss was loading up stuff to sell in a yard sale, and I asked her how much she wanted for the bookshelf, and she told me I could just have it. Awesome!

Now my man-cave looks a little less cramped with some of the stuff more spread out. These are my Nintendo games, with some extra boxes on the bottom shelf. Game Boy and GBA games in the binders. And if you look closely, you can see black Atari 2600 cartridges on the bottom shelf. (Next to "The One Ring to Rule Them All" prop.)