Author Topic: Neo Geo Pocket Color Games  (Read 1484 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Neo Geo Pocket Color Games
« on: November 14, 2012, 04:39:47 pm »
Does anyone around here know anything about the Neo Geo Pocket Color?  I stumbled across one. (read: My wife bought me one)  I think it's the European version, since the box looks different than the one listed on here and it came with manuals in 4 different languages.  I did a little Googling, and found out that it's reigon-free so the EU version will be great. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for good games?  I think I'm going to get Metal Slug, but that's about as far as I've gotten.  Any ideas?

darko

Re: Neo Geo Pocket Color Games
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:07:11 pm »
Honestly, I'd hit up some reviews on Youtube. I'd help you out but I've never owned one.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:02:00 pm »
Oh Hell yes!!! Congrats man. It's a great little handheld, a lot of good fighting games, I'd recommend Both Metal Slug 1st and 2nd mission, SNK VS Capcom, the last blade, samurai shodown 2 maybe King of Fighters R-2 it's alright but I personally prefer the other ones listed more. Also check out Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble and Baseball stars color, and I've heard crush roller is really fun I have yet to play it though and Gals' Fighters is awesome too!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »
Thanks a ton.  That was exactly what I was looking for.  I've bid on Bust-A-Move and Samurai Showdown already.  Metal Slug will be mine before long.  I just didn't want to spend big bucks on a game yet.  Metal Slug 1st Mission is a whole $9!  I'm kidding. I'll be getting it soon enough. 

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:26:10 pm »
I still NEED to get me one of these.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 11:40:41 pm »
Nice! yeah man its a really neat system, unfortunatly though not a lot of games were released in the us but a lot of the japanese games will be in english on an english system, like the aes.
Now that I think of it more also get Neo Turf Masters and Pocket Tennis Color

thecollector0o7

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:03:45 pm »
If your in to games like bust a move its a good port. Its probably one of my favorite game for the system after metal slug and some others.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 12:03:57 am »
So far, I have Samurai Shodown 2 and Bust A Move. Both are pretty fun. Bust a Move seems to get more time though.

thecollector0o7

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 01:41:41 am »
lol same with me. when I got my Neo Geo Pocket lot I was like >.> bust a move but after playing it for a bit it became so addicting but showdown is an aesome game I cant wait for the Neo Geo X version!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 11:28:54 pm »
So much lost potential with the Neo Geo Pocket Color. It's a fantastic little piece of handheld hardware. The screen, while not backlit unfortunately, is still a fantastic screen. Definitely better looking than the Game Boy Color and Sega Game Gear (NGPC's competition). The buttons and thumbstick feel really nice, too. It's hard to explain exactly, but they just feel right. The buttons have the perfect amount of spring to them, and the thumbstick has this "clicky" feel to it that's just so satisfying. You'll know what I mean if you've played one before.

Unfortunately, the game library is incredibly small. And that's the biggest weakness of the Neo Geo Pocket Color. There's a healthy amount of fighting games. And while those fighting games are good, they all feel too similar to each other.

There were other games than just fighting games on the handheld, but not a lot more. Sonic Pocket Adventure, however, is surprisingly good. That had to be the best game on the system, IMO. It really felt like the missing Genesis Sonic game, it was that good. Sad that Sega put out a better Sonic game on SNK's handheld than they did on their own Game Gear. Metal Slug 1st & 2nd Mission were also pretty good, too. A must-have for any run-n-gun enthusiasts. However they still didn't hold a candle to their arcade and console counterparts. Bust-A-Move Pocket is fun to have because it's Puzzle Bobble, on the go! Dark Arms is a weird one. And Pac-Man is, well, Pac-Man; no more and no less.