Author Topic: The Comic Book Thread  (Read 38789 times)

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: The Comic Book Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2015, 03:14:36 pm »
I didnt forget those. In the Netherlands we only get those 8 translated to dutch (for now).

I might try a few again.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2015, 04:03:43 pm »
Going in today to look at the next wave of new Marvel. But the last week's wave of New Marvel didn't impress me at all. The only one I liked was Invincible Iron Man #1, it felt like a well-written comic (although Madame Masque as the first villain isn't exactly pulling me in). All the rest of the issues felt spastic and kiddied-down, didn't like them at all. And what the hell is going on with Peter Parker? Even the comic itself pointed out that he's now Tony Stark light. Peter Parker will always be a loveable loser to me, not some cock-sure CEO that orders his minions around to be Spider-Man for him.

Can I have your impression of Avengers 00 for me it was pretty good and my favorite of the latest releases  ;)

The Avengers felt like the same spastic, kiddied-down crap to me. And I have been an Avengers fan since the 80s.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2016, 10:18:37 am »
Fox Apologizes for X-Men Poster Promoting Women's Violence

Really? It's a super-hero movie. Violence is kind of essential to the genre.

My question to the fem-nazis that seem to want to enforce their views on everyone else: Why do you think it's okay for men to be beat up in a super-hero movie? Why only pick out the women? Equality, right?

doafan

« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2016, 11:09:08 am »
So now the male villains cannot hit any super heroines in action movies, really ?, so I guess what will come next is that we no longer gonna see more females in this kind of genre, seriously this is going nuts, hope that this bullshit can't reach the comics  :-\

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2016, 03:57:41 pm »

I just finished this 6-parter last night.

This is a fantastic story that deserves the same recognition that some of the best Amazing Spider-Man storylines get.

It really tugged at the heartstrings with Vermin. He was a villain, technically, but he was more like a victim in this. You found out why he was a villain and what drove him to such hatred. I won't give it away here, but it is definitely worth reading.

And then on top of it, we see Harry Osborn spiral out of sanity and the resurgence of his Green Goblin persona. During this, he attacks Spider-Man and puts him under a hallucinatory drug. And we see the demons that Peter Parker has been holding back all these years.

Great story that dives into the psyche's of these characters and really does a great job of expressing the frustration and tragedy of these characters. Check these out while the issues are still cheap (90s stuff seems to be on the rise).

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #155 on: June 22, 2016, 03:52:18 pm »

Titans Rebirth #1

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Who read this (released last week)?

Pretty good story, that basically directly continues from what happened in DC Rebirth #1 as Wally West goes to his former teammates, trying to get them to remember him and their old lives.

But as I'm reading it, there is some stuff I have to question:

1. Who the hell is the girl in the green hood, and how was she an original Titan?

2. Where's Cyborg and Beast Boy in the original line-up flashbacks?

3. Why is Dick Grayson wearing Tim Drake's Robin outfit in the flashbacks?

I don't think these are just errors that were overlooked, I think they tie-into the "10 years missing" storyline. I'm guessing that the girl in the green cloak is somehow tied to whoever it is that stole 10 years from the DC Universe. And I think the Robin costume and Beast Boy being missing also are intended errors to the timeline meant to stand out.

What are your thoughts on this issue?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:29:00 pm by burningdoom »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2016, 10:40:42 pm »
As far as i have figured out the girl in the green hood is a character called Omen, apparently she's from the original Teen Titans run back in the 60's, died in gradiation day story aND ca me back in the Blakes Night story arc. If they are taking from that original lineup! Beast boy and cyborg were apparently not apart of the team back then. I have no answer for the robin mixup though. I've been reading a lot of the DC Rebirth actually so far what i've read has been really good. The one that  surprisesme  the most is the Action Comics series. That one hit the ground running

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2016, 02:41:36 pm »
I'm having withdrawals from the excellent Flash TV Show! I need some more Flash!

So I ordered a crapload of Flash comics from CCL last week. I got all the essential Wally West issues up to the Dark Flash Saga. I didn't get to Geoff John's run, that will be my next target. But I did get the Born to Run storyline, Race Against Time, Chain Lightning, and Dark Flash storylines. I already had the Terminal Velocity (Impulse) storyline. I also got the early issues where he fights Vandal Savage, and the first issue of his new costume. Can't wait for them to get here so I can read them!

That wasn't all, though. I also swung by my Dad's house and borrowed his copy of the 1990 Flash TV Series and have been watching that. While not nearly as good as the modern series, it was pretty damn entertaining by 1990 standards. So far, my favorite episode is the one where he has to take on a 1950s super-villain that cryogenically froze himself to appear in 1990; The Ghost. He ends up having to team-up with a 1950s hero called Nightshade that has to come out of retirement to fight his old nemesis. I'm in the middle of an excellent time-travel episode where he's flung 10 years into the future, and the city is run by a tyrant. That one has been pretty good, too.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #158 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
It's finally out!

The 2016 Marvel Masterpieces card set by Joe Jusko!

Joe Jusko is amazing!

Apparently they came out, quietly, on June 29.

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?ArticleID=180814

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2016, 04:09:41 pm »
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

So, Civil War II #3 came out yesterday. And I'm surprised no one is talking about it, considering the big death that happened. Pretty shocking stuff with the way it all went down, too.

So do you guys think Barton should be held accountable for his actions? Or do you think it was justified since Banner literally asked him to do it?

doafan

« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2016, 05:37:41 pm »
So, Civil War II #3 came out yesterday. And I'm surprised no one is talking about it, considering the big death that happened. Pretty shocking stuff with the way it all went down, too.

Still can't believe that he is dead, really didn't expected to happen at least not this fast.

So do you guys think Barton should be held accountable for his actions? Or do you think it was justified since Banner literally asked him to do it?

Hawkeye was asked to do it and he accepted, for the court and the rest of the world he is guilty but Banner asked him, he could ask that favor to another Avenger but he chose him a simple human over the rest of the Super Heroes, so am cool with the actions, you can't ask this kind a favors to everybody, guess that he saw Barton as a friend.

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2016, 02:16:12 am »

Read these today. Damn! Fan-freaking-tastic! This is why I'm a DC fan. Great super-hero epics that can't be matched.

The first story deals with a public growing weary of super-hero battles and distrusting the superhuman population. With no Superman to guide them, the JLA stumbles as the mysterious and powerful puppetmaster continues to pull the strings, staying one step ahead until the ultimate, climactic, and epic final battle against a foe more powerful than any they had encountered before.

Another Nail is a time-travel story that blends a great JLA superhero story with fantasy science fiction in the best way. And acts as a direct sequel to the first story.

Both are incredible reads and must-haves for any DC fan.

gf78

« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2016, 12:32:11 pm »

Read these today. Damn! Fan-freaking-tastic! This is why I'm a DC fan. Great super-hero epics that can't be matched.

The first story deals with a public growing weary of super-hero battles and distrusting the superhuman population. With no Superman to guide them, the JLA stumbles as the mysterious and powerful puppetmaster continues to pull the strings, staying one step ahead until the ultimate, climactic, and epic final battle against a foe more powerful than any they had encountered before.

Another Nail is a time-travel story that blends a great JLA superhero story with fantasy science fiction in the best way. And acts as a direct sequel to the first story.

Both are incredible reads and must-haves for any DC fan.

I read both of these long ago.  Both are damn fine books.  It's unfortunate though that DC has to use the "Elseworlds" label to make stories this great.  Oh..and Alan Davis is one of my favorite comic artists.  He's right up there with other classics like Brian Boland and Arthur Adams.  Art Adams cover to Classic X-Men #1 is an all-time favorite of mine.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2016, 02:24:53 pm »
Because I like different comics than you cats, I wanted to show this off.  This shit is fun.  I love the bad jokes.  Now, I need to find a Tick collection.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:18 pm »
Because I'm an odd duck, I'm super pumped to have found this 4-part miniseries for $5.