Author Topic: Questions on scans  (Read 54 times)

BinaryMessiah

Questions on scans
« on: May 10, 2024, 09:38:19 pm »
I bought a scanner so I could upload as many images as I can. I trialed a few images as around half of mine keep being rejected even after corrections are made in the comments of the rejection.

1. If there is a low quality image already existing (front image for example) and I upload a scan of that image (which is higher quality) does that count or do you guys just want images that don't exist?

2. I uploaded a front box scan of Dark Seed II https://vgcollect.com/item/264437 for Apple  and the rejection notes said the image already exists. However, that image is a low quality photo with a large glare. Mine was a higher quality scan.

3. If something has a sticker or blemish do you guys not want the scan? I uploaded a scan of the front cover for the Juggernaut Prime guide and it had a small amount of sticker residue in the corner. However, this can is much higher quality than the one currently available one. Do the scans need to be 100% perfect?

4. Do you guys need rear art spines or inlays or is that not currently being uploaded on the site anywhere?

5. Where are the larger scans? When I right click and open the image they are always 200x248. Clicking the images does nothing. I feel like I'm missing something here and it's always been a mystery since I joined years back. If there is a higher quality scan already uploaded I can't tell. I feel like I'll just be submitting everything I can and whatever gets rejected for dupes gets rejected, but I don't want to piss the admins off.

I want to help contribute as much as I can, but I know I need to fine tune things within the guidelines.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 09:42:30 pm by BinaryMessiah »

dhaabi

Re: Questions on scans
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 09:59:38 pm »
1. If a submitted image has higher quality than an entry's existing image, it will be approved. However, be aware that we group the quality of images into different tiers, which you can read about in the "Front/Back art slot image type priority for physical items" section of the Item Images post of the style guide.

2. You may need to clear your browser cache to see newly-updated images. Because you sent the same submission twice, there was no reason for the second submission to be approved since the first was already approved. With that said, if someone submits an image edit to a field, then re-submits a second, different image to the same field before it can be responded to by staff, the second image will overwrite the first. This means staff will never see the first image, only the second. This is even the case when two separate members submit images to the same image field for a specific entry.

3. Those sorts of blemishes are fine to submit and will be approved as a replacement if the existing image is lower quality. That said, as I mentioned in the Admins Comments upon rejection, your image submission for Juggernaut's front image slot is lower quality due to its markings on the top-right corner, which seem to be from a removed pricing label that's left residue. We can all see its quality, as this is the eBay listing you purchased, evident from the back cover pricing labels which were scanned as part of your submission. Because the entry didn't previously have back art information, the back art image submission was approved.

4. Currently, neither spine nor inlay art should be submitted to any field. Perhaps one day, dedicated fields for that sort of information will be implemented.

5. All submitted images scale to 200px, no matter if they're submitted smaller or larger than that size. It's unfortunate that the size isn't a little larger to help with identifying information, but that's how the system is designed.

No need to feel like you'll upset anyone with submissions. We value them and the work that everyone contributes. Obviously, we encourage the highest quality effort which members are able to provide, but even low standard submissions are appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 10:07:52 pm by dhaabi »

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 10:13:00 pm »
1. If a submitted image has higher quality than an entry's existing image, it will be approved. However, be aware that we group the quality of images into different tiers, which you can read about in the "Front/Back art slot image type priority for physical items" section of the Item Images post of the style guide.

2. You may need to clear your browser cache to see newly-updated images. Because you sent the same submission twice, there was no reason for the second submission to be approved since the first was already approved. With that said, if someone submits an image edit to a field, then re-submits a separate image to the same field before it can be responded to by staff, the second image will overwrite the first. This means staff will never see the first image, only the second. This is even the case when two separate members submit images to the same image field for a specific entry.

3. Those sorts of blemishes are fine to submit and will be approved as a replacement if the existing image is lower quality. That said, as I mentioned in the Admins Comments upon rejection, your image submission for Juggernaut's front image slot is lower quality due to its markings on the top-right corner, which seem to be from a removed pricing label that's left residue. We can all see its quality, as this is the eBay listing you purchased, evident from the back cover pricing labels which were scanned as part of your submission. Because the entry didn't previously have back art information, the back art image submission was approved.

4. Currently, neither spine nor inlay art should be submitted to any field. Perhaps one day, dedicated fields for that sort of information will be implemented.

5. All submitted images scale to 200px, no matter if they're submitted smaller or larger than that size. It's unfortunate that the size isn't a little larger to help with identifying information, but that's how the system is designed.

No need to feel like you'll upset anyone with submissions. We value them and the work that everyone contributes. Obviously, we encourage the highest quality effort which members are able to provide, but even low standard submissions are appreciated.

Okay! Thanks so much for all of that. I do wait for the yellow flag in the top right corner and see what was approved and submitted before fixing something or leaving it alone. So, it seems I should just submit what I have (it could be thousands of photos over the course of the next several weeks) and my only other question would be should I leave out anything with stickers? I saw my Silent Hill 3 Brady guide rear photo was accepted despite having a price sticker on it. I'm guessing that fell into the higher quality tier?

I'm glad you guys are patient and appreciate it. I've hesisted in the past with uploaded large amount of changes because I was worried I would flood the admins with too many submissions. It's unfortunate that dedicated video game cover sites are now pretty much gone like cdcovers.cc and The Cover Project has a very small library these days and they allow custom submissions. I am also uploading everything to pricecharting.com because the photos there are kind of like the wild west with not much oversight.

Also, I tested the image cache clearing for the Dark Seed II image that was just submitted and it worked. It was showing the older one despite the submission being approved. Really annoying how that works. I will do this from now on before resubmitting anything.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 10:17:54 pm by BinaryMessiah »

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 10:34:17 pm »
my only other question would be should I leave out anything with stickers? I saw my Silent Hill 3 Brady guide rear photo was accepted despite having a price sticker on it. I'm guessing that fell into the higher quality tier?

Since there was no back art information for Silent Hill 3, any correct image should be approved. There are rare instances when I reject an image submission when there isn't already image information and instead advise the member to re-submit with higher quality, but that's only when the lowest quality image imagineable is submitted for a common item. Sometimes I approve that kind of image quality anyway but will immediately update it myself. Below is the specific blurb of image quality tiers from the aforementioned topic:

Front/Back art slot image type priority for physical items
We prioritize the best quality image for each slot, however if a better quality image is submitted that is a tier below the existing image (even if the existing image is poor or lesser quality) it will be rejected.

1. Sealed

2. Not sealed but complete

3. Not sealed but missing labels and/or obi strip

4. Any picture of the physical item

5. Post release stock photo

6. Pre-release stock photo

I'm glad you guys are patient and appreciate it. I've hesisted in the past with uploaded large amount of changes because I was worried I would flood the admins with too many submissions. It's unfortunate that dedicated video game cover sites are now pretty much gone like cdcovers.cc and The Cover Project has a very small library these days and they allow custom submissions. I am also uploading everything to pricecharting.com because the photos there are kind of like the wild west with not much oversight.

Regarding submission quantity, I'll only mention that, if you really do plan on submitting thousands of image submissions, it may be better to space them out, only so that staff don't get bogged down with the edit queue. Those responding to the queue have to get to everybody's edit submissions, and reviewing them can, at times, be a lengthy process. Don't let that deter you from submitting edits in bulk, though, if you're adamant about getting it all done at once. Although, spacing submissions out will also make it easier for you to review your Notifications log, in the event that any submission is rejected.

Personally, the only other database I sometimes frequent for images is MobyGames, since their submissions are generally okay. I've not come across any other site which accounts for variant items in large numbers, though, which is one focus of our site, so usually resorting to eBay or sites like it is necessary for my purposes.

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 11:02:08 pm »

Regarding submission quantity, I'll only mention that, if you really do plan on submitting thousands of image submissions, it may be better to space them out, only so that staff don't get bogged down with the edit queue. Those responding to the queue have to get to everybody's edit submissions, and reviewing them can, at times, be a lengthy process. Don't let that deter you from submitting edits in bulk, though, if you're adamant about getting it all done at once. Although, spacing submissions out will also make it easier for you to review your Notifications log, in the event that any submission is rejected.

Personally, the only other database I sometimes frequent for images is MobyGames, since their submissions are generally okay. I've not come across any other site which accounts for variant items in large numbers, though, which is one focus of our site, so usually resorting to eBay or sites like it is necessary for my purposes.

It's a shame we can't comment back on rejections. For example in the recent Silent Hill 3 rejection I realized (like an idiot) I had the box upside when I submitted it to my collection and I have the barcode left side box. Sometimes the rejections are as simple as that. I looked at something upside down or missed something when I originally added it to my collection. I won't submit them as a slow stream throughout the day. It also won't be daily. Maybe a few times a week during the course of a few hours (mostly over night) so there might be a few dozen at a time at most.