Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 63245 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #465 on: May 03, 2024, 08:29:41 pm »
Shōgun - Utterly phenomenal production and one that isn't afraid to be deliberate and mature in its storytelling. Doesn't feel the need to be tongue-in-cheek at any point, which is very refreshing to see in a modern, big budget, prestige, TV production.

« Reply #466 on: May 05, 2024, 06:09:02 am »
Unfrosted was a pretty fun movie. Seems like it's getting crapped on and it also seems like it has less to do with the movie and more to do with something Jerry said on the promo tour. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dhaabi

« Reply #467 on: May 05, 2024, 11:52:25 am »
Unfrosted was a pretty fun movie. Seems like it's getting crapped on and it also seems like it has less to do with the movie and more to do with something Jerry said on the promo tour. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For reference, below is the aforementioned quote from Jerry Seinfeld:

Nothing really affects comedy. People always need it. They need it so badly and they don’t get it,” Seinfeld said. “It used to be, you would go home at the end of the day, most people would go, ‘Oh, “Cheers” is on. Oh, “MASH” is on. Oh, “Mary Tyler Moore” is on. “All in the Family” is on.’ You just expected, ‘There’ll be some funny stuff we can watch on TV tonight.’ Well, guess what—where is it? This is the result of the extreme left and P.C. crap, and people worrying so much about offending other people.

Both before and after reading part of Seinfeld's recent interview, I've not been interested in his latest movie Unfrosted. Generally, I'm not drawn to comedy films, and I wouldn't find it controversial to say it's the most subjective and divisive film genre within itself due to varying tastes. With that said, Seinfeld's quote regards network television, not film.

To me, Seinfeld's stance is very much a "back in my day" point-of-view from the 70-year-old man that he is. Hearing something like this from him specifically isn't surprising given he has a history of opposing beliefs to popular social attitudes for a number of years, which, again, shouldn't come as a surprise to learn that a billionaire is out-of-touch with society. Despite Seinfeld's opinion, co-creator to Seinfeld Larry David is one (but perhaps the most direct) example of an antithesis to such claims, given how popular Curb Your Enthusiasm is despite its controversial scenario writing.