Author Topic: sticker residue  (Read 3983 times)

htimreimer

sticker residue
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:12:57 am »
i bot a game from a local thrift store and i now have problem,there is sticker residue on the cd

any ideas on how to remove the sticker residue

soera

Re: sticker residue
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:42:45 pm »
I use lighter fluid and a q-tip. Alcohol works but not as easily which usually means it has more of a chance to remove more than just the residue. Just put a little of the lighter fluid on the q-tip and rub it around. Its pretty quick. Once you get it smooth enough, just wash the spot off with water (unless its a label then dry it).

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 02:36:32 pm »
goo-gone smells like oranges and it is orange.... but don't drink it... works good on sticker residue...
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

ko1ru

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 09:49:31 pm »
goo-gone smells like oranges and it is orange.... but don't drink it... works good on sticker residue...

I was going to suggest the same.  Works wonders.  :)

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:09:16 pm »
back when I use to go to funcoland..wow brings me back to the late 90's I remember they would use a hair dryer......when it turned black it would come right off....
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

ko1ru

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 10:20:41 pm »
back when I use to go to funcoland..wow brings me back to the late 90's I remember they would use a hair dryer......when it turned black it would come right off....

The boyfriend swears by this trick.  I'm far too impatient, so I just use Goo-Gone and then wipe it clean.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 02:07:58 pm »
I frequently use a hair dryer on high to warm up some stickers (ones from Gamestop especially). Once they get warm enough they will easily come off.

I also use GooGone, but be careful using this and start with SMALL amounts. It can discolor some cartridges although I have never tried it on a CD. This is usually my last resort.

GooGone also works great on removing marker, but again be gentle and start with small amounts.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:37:04 am »
I'd go with goo gone.

dondetti

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 07:31:54 am »
I frequently use a hair dryer on high to warm up some stickers (ones from Gamestop especially). Once they get warm enough they will easily come off.

I too use this for my record sleeves, it works really well. I wouldn't dare to heat up a CD though. With rubbing alcohol and other aggressive agents you need to be really careful though or you will clean off the color on the carton as well unless it got a thick gloss finish. Same for CD labels, some of the printing chemicals may react really badly with some cleaning agents over time. I'd rather try a warm & wet (not soaked/dripping) towel first.
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

gf78

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 11:17:21 am »
I've found that clear packing tape works great in many instances.  For those stupid stickers that just keep pulling apart that Gamestop slaps on every case, I take the insert out first to avoid denting it.  I then peel/scratch off whatever part of the sticker I can.  Once that is done, I put a piece of clear packing tape over the label and gently rub it until it sticks to remaining label bits.  I then hold the case so I am "pinning down" the clear outer sleeve to the case itself and give the tape a good yank.  9 times out of 10, it pulls a significant part of the sticker off.  I may have to give it a few tries, but this method works great.  It also pulls any gooey bits off that may have been left behind while you were trying to peel the sticker off to start with.

I've also used this method on the top part of game discs and cartridges (not on the labels though).  I've found that alcohol or any other agent besides water can actually cause the ink on the disc surface to smear.  The copy of Alundra that I picked up at the pawn shop had one of those rental stickers covering the entire top of the disc.  When I removed it, it left quite a bit of sticky goo behind.  Dabbing packing tape on & off for about five minutes, I was able to get all the gooey stuff off.

For realllllly old stickers that just seem to disintegrate into powder when you try getting them off, I use a damp paper towel and rub it back and forth over the sticker.  Once it has absorbed a bit of moisture, I then use the packing tape trick.  Usually works.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:23:11 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 12:40:40 pm »
I've found that clear packing tape works great in many instances.  For those stupid stickers that just keep pulling apart that Gamestop slaps on every case, I take the insert out first to avoid denting it.  I then peel/scratch off whatever part of the sticker I can.  Once that is done, I put a piece of clear packing tape over the label and gently rub it until it sticks to remaining label bits.  I then hold the case so I am "pinning down" the clear outer sleeve to the case itself and give the tape a good yank.  9 times out of 10, it pulls a significant part of the sticker off.  I may have to give it a few tries, but this method works great.  It also pulls any gooey bits off that may have been left behind while you were trying to peel the sticker off to start with.

I've also used this method on the top part of game discs and cartridges (not on the labels though).  I've found that alcohol or any other agent besides water can actually cause the ink on the disc surface to smear.  The copy of Alundra that I picked up at the pawn shop had one of those rental stickers covering the entire top of the disc.  When I removed it, it left quite a bit of sticky goo behind.  Dabbing packing tape on & off for about five minutes, I was able to get all the gooey stuff off.

For realllllly old stickers that just seem to disintegrate into powder when you try getting them off, I use a damp paper towel and rub it back and forth over the sticker.  Once it has absorbed a bit of moisture, I then use the packing tape trick.  Usually works.

Lol I never have this problem but it also will take me about 2-3 minutes each sticker to remove with my nails. I just go really slow and with the same sort of idea as skinning a deer. Hold up the end of the sticker and run your finger nail against where it is connected to whatever it is connected to.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 01:00:31 pm »
Lol I never have this problem but it also will take me about 2-3 minutes each sticker to remove with my nails. I just go really slow and with the same sort of idea as skinning a deer. Hold up the end of the sticker and run your finger nail against where it is connected to whatever it is connected to.

Yup, I do the slow-and-steady peel first to try to get it all off on the first try (which tends to be the cleanest). Any thing left over, I'll use the sticker itself to pick up the rest (similar to the packing tape trick).

This works best of cases and the newer pricing stickers. Stickers on the actual cover art and old pricing stickers that crumble take a little more careful handling.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 01:02:43 pm »

Yup, I do the slow-and-steady peel first to try to get it all off on the first try (which tends to be the cleanest). Any thing left over, I'll use the sticker itself to pick up the rest (similar to the packing tape trick).

This works best of cases and the newer pricing stickers. Stickers on the actual cover art and old pricing stickers that crumble take a little more careful handling.

Yeah, I try the slow and steady first unless it's a sticker that was put on within about a week.  With those, once you get one corner up a bit, a quick yank usually takes the whole shebang off.  Even then, the corner you peeled usually has a bit of goo left.  The sticker you peeled off frequently works, if not packing tape is my go-to.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 10:47:23 am »

Goo-gone is my goto solution for taking care of labels and residue. It doesn't eat through everything like rubbing alchohol does.

The only problem with it is that it is thick. So after you use it, you will need to use water or a damp cloth or towel to get its residue off. Keep that in mind if trying to remove labels or residue from a paper surface. Also it will absorb into paper as well, leaving a discoloration so watch out for that as well.

retroone

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 01:30:49 pm »
WD-40 and Rubbing Alcohol has worked for me in some cases. If there is ever a sticker on a case I use a hair dryer and weaken the adhesive on the sticker and peel off what I can.