Author Topic: Region encoding, display resolution, and 50/60Hz  (Read 588 times)

insektmute

Region encoding, display resolution, and 50/60Hz
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:18:34 am »
I'd like to suggest a field to indicate the region encoding of a game (not just release region), as well as the display resolution supported. The past few years, I've found myself digging very heavily into differences between versions, as well as importing games, and it would be fantastic to be able to indicate this sort of thing.

While it doesn't impact me much personally, it might also be nice to indicate whether a game is locked at 50Hz, 60Hz, or selectable between 50/60Hz. Not so much of an issue on HD consoles, but for EU PS2 owners, this could be really really useful.

There's a certain potential for abuse, mainly from people who don't know anything and just make a guess based on thinking something "looks" 480p when it's 480i, or assuming all Xbox 360 games are locked (they aren't), but I think the benefits would be substantial for people like myself who actually make use of this information.

tpugmire

Re: Region encoding, display resolution, and 50/60Hz
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 04:42:28 pm »
I have never run into any of this, so I'm fairly clueless, but isn't this something that could be listed in the "Notes" section?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

insektmute

Re: Region encoding, display resolution, and 50/60Hz
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:01:33 pm »
I have never run into any of this, so I'm fairly clueless, but isn't this something that could be listed in the "Notes" section?

It is, but technically speaking, so could nearly every piece of info we currently make note of beyond the name and platform. I guess I tend to think of notes as more of a personally applicable thing, like the cover is torn, game completed, etc, whereas things like detailed, factual info is universally applicable to every copy of a particular version.

I've also tried doing that on other sites, and it turns things into a total mess, with piles of notes written under each entry, which tend to disappear and have to be re-researched and re-written if I delete something and re-add it later.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:04:48 pm by insektmute »