Author Topic: What's your best gaming deal to date?  (Read 7522 times)

scott

Re: What's your best gaming deal to date?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 10:17:48 am »
@mojoskateco Ya I would have jumped on that deal for sure. I've dropped easily 4x that $40 getting both Shining Force and Albert Odyssey. btw, battery replacement on Saturn is a cake walk. Also, I have a spare memory cartridge I'm selling off if you're interested.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

forte

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 05:22:50 pm »
I think mine was a Buy It Now eBay deal. Guy sold boxes and manuals for MM1, 2, 3, 5, and 6, all mint and hardly any wear at all for 64 dollars shipped. I used them to replace my boxes with a little wear and tear and sold the other ones off for about $390.

Though I suppose getting the Mega Man 9 press kit direct from Capcom for $50 was pretty good too.

dondetti

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 07:38:32 am »
Good deals before retro gaming exploded:

-A brand new Atari 2600 Jr. for 5 deutsch marks (now = 2,50€) in a super market stock clearance sale. It has like a billion price tags pasted on top of each other, the oldest one I can make out is a 60 deutsch marks price tag. They also somehow had dozens of copies of Syndicate & Sim City 2000 for the SNES, 2,50 marks each.

-boxed FF3 & complete Splatterhouse 2 for 5 marks each (second hand shop)

-complete and mint Pitfall, Defender, Pac Man (ugh) for Atari which I could haggle down to 8 marks together, also got an NES with a complete and new copy of Super Mario 3 and the obligatory Super Mario Bros. 1 for 20 marks from the same seller (flea market)

-Mega Drive Mk.II together with 8 complete games for 40 marks from a school friend

These kind of deals don't happen anymore :(
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 11:26:41 am »
Hard to say, but here are my biggest scores since I've been collecting:

Went to a garage sale advertised on CL back in 2011 that promised PS1 games. Get there to find a stack of PS1 games, almost all of them are excellent, rare titles too. The best among them was Ergeiz, Ogre Battle, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears, and Legend of Dragoon. Ended up walking away with about a dozen games from that garage sale at $2 a piece.

About two years ago I was at a ghetto thrift store and saw a plastic storage tub with a a boxed SNES game in it. Upon further investigation it ended up being Breath of Fire II CIB. Funny enough, that wasn't even the best game in there. Upon digging further I ended up finding Earthbound and Shadowrun, both loose, but for $5 each I was not complaining.

Several summers ago I was at our local flea market on a Friday, which is a very slow day there and you typically do not find much stuff on that day. Some guy was selling a HUGE N64 lot with about 40 games and an Ice Blue console. There was almost not one bad game in the lot, which included games like Conker, the 2nd N64 Castlevania game, Mario Party 2, Smash, and a ton of other sought after titles. Asked him how much he wanted for the whole box. He said $60 and I was not going to argue.

My best CL score was for a fairly large SNES lot with about 20 games and a console. The lot included Lufia 2, Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, and a handful of other great titles. I ended up getting the whole lot, which was valued at around $400 at the time for $150.

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 11:31:20 am »
3 long box PS1 games (Ridge Racer, NFL GameDay, and WrestleMania: The Arcade Game) for 2 bucks each.
Diablo: Hellfire expansion pack for a dollar.
Scarface: The World Is Yours for 2 bucks.

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 11:58:16 am »
I bought an absolutely mint, complete copy of Link to the Past for the SNES for £22 from an online dedicated retro shop. This was in 2013 when SNES prices had already gone crazy and on eBay copies of the game in similar condition as mine were going for nearly £100. Couldn't believe they put it at such a low price.

Also a few months before that I got a boxed copy of Mega Man X for £20. Probably not quite a good a deal as it was missing the manual and not mint, but still pretty great.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 12:26:55 pm »
I once made a trade on a comic message board I used to frequent before it became a ghost town. 20 or so X-Men comics for a fully-working PS2 with a few PS2 and PS1 games, memory cards, DVD controller, and all the hook-ups. (This was back when PS2 was still current). One of the games being Final Fantasy VII. And the comics I traded weren't old issues, just some common 90s issues.

Another time I came across a working Commodore 64 at Goodwill for $18, and came with a huge case of floppy disks of games (I did have to hunt down a power cord and floppy drive, though). Unfortunately it only worked for a few months before it died on me. But for $18, a few months of C64 is still a great deal!

Or getting an XBox 360, that I still have and use, from a local modder-guy for $100 back when they were still selling for $200 for the base model. I got a 20 GB hard drive, a wired official controller, hook-ups, a couple games, and a ridiculously long network wire with it. It wasn't modded, though, because I wanted my XBox Live Account. I went to him to mod my original Xbox, initially. I wanted it to play my PS1 and Dreamcast discs, because I was in a limited space at the time.

I also got a Pong unit, called The Wonder Wizard for about $30. Worked fine. It was the later model that had like 4 different game modes, not the original Wonder Wizard.
...well, it worked fine until my wife played a game with me, she pushed the serve button, and "CRACK!". The connection to the button broke. I have it all ghetto-rigged with some twist-ties to hold it together inside the controller, now. It works, and you can't see it since it's inside the controller.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:47:26 pm by burningdoom »

topspot123

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 12:43:52 pm »
Some wonderful, wonderful stories here, thank you all.  I have a dozen or more decent stories of right place right time.  A few stories of the ones that got away, but my best recent story is here.

https://youtu.be/vHF52f3Vxos?t=1m

(can't seem to embed video, oh well)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:45:58 pm by topspot123 »

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 01:29:17 pm »
Xbox, Xbox 360, all the xbox and xbox 360 games(besides 1) in my collection list, 4 xbox controllers, 2 360 controllers. for free ;)

VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 03:14:17 pm »
Probably an Atari 2600 6 switch woody with 120 games for $10

pacpix

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 03:10:06 am »
Wow that's an awesome deal!  Any uncommon carts in that lot?

My best deal happened a couple of years ago when I found Wayne's World on NES for $2.99 in a Play n Trade.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 06:13:32 am »
I got Earthbound brand new from Best Buy for $20 back in 1997 when they were blowing them out on clearance. Still have it to this day! If I would've known the game would've become a cult hit, I probably would've snagged the other 8 or so...  ;D

One great deal that sticks out to me was from an auction house in LA back in 2012. It's mostly estate sales, so normally nothing game related, until one day. THE MOTHER LODE!! I was going berserk inside. One lot was about 60 CIB N64 games, perfect condition. Another lot was about 100 CIB SNES games, all the good ones, in perfect condition! (It ended up going for $1700 to someone else, I wish I snagged it to this day).

But, I did win one nice lot that day. It was an odd mixed lot:

• Xbox console
• Sega Genesis Model 1 with Sega CD model 1
• Lunar Eternal Blue (Sega CD)
• Vay (Sega CD)
• Dark Wizard (Sega CD)
• Atari 800 computer with mouse
• Turbo Duo console
• Chrono Trigger (SNES, cart only)
• Final Fantasy III (SNES, cart only)
• Around 50 CIB Atari 2600 games (including gate fold boxes)
• A bunch of random controllers, including a few huge flight sim ones
• Adventure Island II (NES)
• Strider (Genesis)

Probably some other stuff too, hard to remember. Got all that for $400!

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 09:56:23 am »
Wow that's an awesome deal!  Any uncommon carts in that lot?

My best deal happened a couple of years ago when I found Wayne's World on NES for $2.99 in a Play n Trade.

A few good ones like Spy Hunter, Tapper, Pengo, HERO, Cosmic Commuter, Snoopy, Track and Field, Frogger II, and some others. This was probably about 2001 or 2002 when retro game collecting was still in its relative infancy.

The story was it was first thing in the morning, like 8 oclock and we weren't even out for garage sales, just happened past one driving by and saw from the car the distinct look of a 2600 joystick peeking out of a box. When I saw the box it had the system and maybe 30 games and the woman said $10 for everything. Even that was great. When I picked up the box it felt heavier than it should and when I got it back to the car I realized there was another box under the first with another 30 or 40 games. Just as I realized this I heard the woman call from her house and she came out with another box with 50 or so games and told me to just take it so when I got it home it tallied just over a 120 games and IIRC there weren't many doubles either.

Warmsignal

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 11:05:42 pm »
Vectex with games, at a community yard sale. Paid $20, probably saved about $250+ on the lot.

maximo310

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 11:21:11 pm »
 My best are Tales of Xillia 1 Collector's Edition for $2, and Cave Story 3D for $3.