Author Topic: GameCube controller quality?  (Read 3035 times)

insektmute

GameCube controller quality?
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:51:26 pm »
So, I've had two GameCube controllers so far, both of which were bought used, and in each instance, the trigger buttons have been really clacky and kind of... squishy. The first one also developed kind of a squeaky sound in the right trigger.

Before I go and try (again) to see if I can find one that doesn't feel so clunky and sound so noisy, is this just a thing with GameCube controllers, or have I just had bad luck?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:53:38 pm by insektmute »

sin2beta

Re: GameCube controller quality?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:51:10 pm »
They are some of the sturdiest controllers I have used (analog stick era) but they do feel weird. I don't know of a squeaky sound. But the triggers do feel weird. The have very little resistance until about the last centimeter where it feels like pushing a button. They are very clacky.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

insektmute

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:01:22 pm »
Yeah, they don't feel flimsy, just the triggers throw me off, so I wasn't sure what to expect since I'd only bought used ones up to this point. Good to know the resistance and clacking is normal, though.

To Nintendo's credit, the only reason I had to buy a second controller is because my cat somehow peed on it, and the GameCube it was attached to o.O

soera

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:05:11 pm »
I love the mini Mad Catz controllers for the GC that Gamestop used to carry. They were one of my all time favorite controllers.

On a side note, if you keep the cat outside, it will never pee on your stuff. :D

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:11:59 am »
I love the mini Mad Catz controllers for the GC that Gamestop used to carry. They were one of my all time favorite controllers.

On a side note, if you keep the cat outside, it will never pee on your stuff. :D
Ive never heard someone say a madcatz controller was good.

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:48:37 am »
Haha yeah I had the wireless Madcatz GC controller... It's decent but I much prefer the Nintendo ones. Seriously though, GC controllers are some of the best, there is literally no dead spot on the analog sticks

insektmute

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »

She's too much of a dumbass to go outside :p

Ive never heard someone say a madcatz controller was good.

Dunno about their standard controllers, but their TE-S arcade sticks are absolutely fantastic.

ffxik

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:09:26 pm »
The triggers on the GC are kinda weird feeling from the get go.  Yes they are fairly noisy, and the squeak is probably plastic on plastic from the button setting oddly in the controller.

For the record the Gamecube uses the same plastic guts for the analog sticks that the N64 uses it's just been repackaged.  Interestingly enough  the Wii's nunchuck does too.  My view on this is they are garbage, they will wear out.  At least you can replace the N64 stick.

That is something I don't understand.  Nintendo built their sticks cheaply knowing they were going to wear out.  As far as I know they haven't changed their design much either.  Sony and Microsoft's construction is a lot more solid.  I still have an original Dual Shock that returns to zero and controls like it did when I first got it.  I have had to replace two 64 sticks, one GC controller and getting ready to replace a nunchuck.  All because the sticks are cheap.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:15:22 pm by ffxik »

insektmute

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 03:23:37 pm »
That's more or less been my impression, too. My first controller held up pretty well, but the one I picked up feels like the stick has loosened up a bit more than it should. To be fair, I've had worse luck with the DS2. I'm on my third or fourth of those, I think.

zierlaz

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 08:31:39 pm »
Yeah! Similar to what was mentioned before, I've usually always had an issue with the triggers. It's nearly impossible to find an original controller without a faulty trigger. I would however advise you to refrain from purchasing 3rd party controllers, they seem to be worse or at least in my case they have been. Also even though they feel a little weird they rarely hindered my game performance so I think is just a matter of accepting them for having crappy triggers. I still use mine for Smash and can't really complain much, hopes this helps.

On a side note, what game have you been playing on it?

insektmute

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 11:13:56 pm »
Nothing lately, really. I picked up my Wii a few months ago, partially to replace my piss-filled GameCube, so I just did a quick test run with Resident Evil and was like, "wow, this might actually be worse than the old controller I had!" Good times!

The controllers were both official Nintendo, just purchased used, mainly because I had a tough time finding boxed ones for a reasonable price.