Author Topic: Newer releases and their (lack of) paperwork.  (Read 3089 times)

Re: Newer releases and their (lack of) paperwork.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 09:06:21 am »
I think it'd be very useful to note exactly what a game doesn't come with, it'll save everyone a headache in the future if we can get people to note now what games come with when they're factory sealed.

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 10:15:21 am »
I'd mostly like to know which JP games typically include a spine card. Still can't decide if it's something I'm going to worry about, but it'd be nice info all the same.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 10:23:10 am »
Almost everything on CD pre-PS2 tends to come with a spine card, bar PS1 games which tend not to have them.

So if you were looking at a Saturn game you'd be safe to assume it should probably include a spine card, although there are a few that don't - but if you were looking at a PS1 game you'd more than likely be safe in assuming it wasn't supposed to include a spine card, apart from the few exceptions that do.

Clear as mud, right? :D

On the whole I view spine cards as a bonus - they don't do anything useful so I don't lose anything if they aren't there and when I do have them they always end up tucked inside the case so you can't tell which ones do or don't have them anyway.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 10:25:44 am »
I think it'd be very useful to note exactly what a game doesn't come with, it'll save everyone a headache in the future if we can get people to note now what games come with when they're factory sealed.

Yep.

This!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 10:28:37 am »
Ya when I bought Akumajo Dracula: Chi no Rondo on PC Engine CD, I was torn between spine card or no. And decided I wasn't willing to pay extra for a little piece of paper that would end up getting lost eventually anyway.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:46:15 am by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 10:36:21 am »
Ya when I bought Akumajo Dracula: Chi no Rondo on PC Engine CD, I was torn between spine card or no. And decided I washing willing to pay extra for a little piece of paper that would end up getting lost eventually anyway.

"washing willing"?!
 :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 10:46:01 am »
Ya when I bought Akumajo Dracula: Chi no Rondo on PC Engine CD, I was torn between spine card or no. And decided I washing willing to pay extra for a little piece of paper that would end up getting lost eventually anyway.

"washing willing"?!
 :o

Stupid auto correct on my phone. "Wasn't Willing"....  :P
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 12:45:56 pm »
Almost everything on CD pre-PS2 tends to come with a spine card, bar PS1 games which tend not to have them.

So if you were looking at a Saturn game you'd be safe to assume it should probably include a spine card, although there are a few that don't - but if you were looking at a PS1 game you'd more than likely be safe in assuming it wasn't supposed to include a spine card, apart from the few exceptions that do.

Clear as mud, right? :D

On the whole I view spine cards as a bonus - they don't do anything useful so I don't lose anything if they aren't there and when I do have them they always end up tucked inside the case so you can't tell which ones do or don't have them anyway.

That's about what I figured. I'm inclined to not worry about it too much, since it'll probably come down to price and availability most of the time. Some really great games are surprisingly cheap even with the card, but others... eeek.

Luckily (but sadly), I don't have a Saturn or PC Engine yet, so I don't have to think about it much right now anyway, but I'm plotting some nice PS1 goodies later this month that have them :)

ko1ru

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 05:11:36 pm »
Oh this makes me so mad.  Game packaging is so cheap these days, especially with those "recycled" cases that Erk mentioned.  DmC has to be the worst: not only does it not come with a manual - or any other paper insert - but it also has one of those thin, stupid recycled cases.   >:(

I think it would be worth noting in the description if a game's release lacks a physical manual.

htimreimer

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 05:21:21 pm »
Oh this makes me so mad.  Game packaging is so cheap these days, especially with those "recycled" cases that Erk mentioned.  DmC has to be the worst: not only does it not come with a manual - or any other paper insert - but it also has one of those thin, stupid recycled cases.   >:(

I think it would be worth noting in the description if a game's release lacks a physical manual.
this is why i mostly buy games that are from 2004 and older

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 08:24:45 pm »

I'm not happy with no manual and flimsy packaging, either. But to not buy a game and miss the entire thing because you don't like the packaging, seems kind of silly to me.

htimreimer

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2013, 02:00:53 am »

I'm not happy with no manual and flimsy packaging, either. But to not buy a game and miss the entire thing because you don't like the packaging, seems kind of silly to me.
thats not the only reason, i dont find most new games compelling to buy