Author Topic: Import gaming solutions  (Read 2737 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Import gaming solutions
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 02:36:02 pm »
Thanks! I was digging around a bit the other day, mostly just finding auctions for just the disc, or emphasizing scratched discs, but managed to score a copy in pretty decent shape on eBay for just under $40. There's a slight fold in a corner of the manual, and the price is a little higher than I'd like, but it seems to be getting really difficult to find a copy in VG/VG+ or better condition for less than that.

I played through it once, years ago, as a rental, back when I was making crap money as an assistant manager at Blockbuster. Sparked my love of the series, but I'm really kicking myself for not picking it up back then, so it'll be nice to finally have it in the collection :)

*Sweet*!

I'm guessing that your game disc is also that 'blue' color?

I've never been sure if there's any significant reason for using and/or difference in the different-colored discs (other than, some are prettier & possibly do a better job of hiding scratches:)

Anyone know anything concrete about the different colors?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 02:45:51 pm »
The color difference indicates the media type - blue is used for CD games, most of which were released pretty early in the PS2's lifespan.

scott

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 02:55:13 pm »
I'm pretty leery about Blue disc games now. One of the PS2s I replaced ended up with a bad disc drive and only acted up when I would play a Blue disc in it. Which saddened me, cause at that point I was super addicted to Virtua Fighter 4.  :'(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 03:06:16 pm »
Was yours a fat or slim model? I've never run into the "disc read error" crap on my slim, but it was pretty common with my launch day model. More likely though, if there's a particular pattern with CD games, it's just rushed//sloppy manufacturing - I've run into that with audio CDs too, where some discs are unusually thin and brittle, especially ones released back in the 80's and early 90's.

scott

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 03:09:21 pm »
Oh it was a Fat PS2. I never picked up a slim. It wasn't just VF4 though, a lot of my Blue backed games were like that. I ended up getting pissed and trading a lot off them off (which I'm now in the process of searching for)...

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 04:15:56 pm »
The color difference indicates the media type - blue is used for CD games, most of which were released pretty early in the PS2's lifespan.

Were there just the 2 colors, then - black & blue...or were other colors used as well?

Both (the PS1 & the PS2) used the different-colored discs, too though; right?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 04:52:33 pm »
As far as I am aware, PS1 discs were all black backed, though there are some reprints, like Chrono Cross, that use Silver discs. And CD based games on PS2 were blue and DVD based games were Silver.

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 05:51:40 pm »
Actually, there's some variance on PS2 DVD releases, too. They use silver for DVD-5, and gold-tint for DVD-9, if I recall, though there aren't too many of those, unfortunately - it's usually an indication of higher bitrate audio and video :)