Author Topic: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?  (Read 17326 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Do You Have Any Unpopular Gaming Opinions?
« Reply #120 on: April 08, 2014, 04:22:57 pm »
I really loved this thread.
Glad to see this one come back from the dead.

Me too!

These are the kinds of topics & discussions that, IMO, really make the site & (most of:) the community here stand head & shoulders above many other 'popular'/'common' Gaming sites.

- All sites are made up of humans

- All of us humans can have good & bad days...sometimes being saints/sometimes being ass-holes,

- All sites (thanks to *Anonymity*) have people saying things that they'd never say to a person irl,

- Most sites & gamers have strong opinions,

(quick math equation):  strong opinions + anonymity * teens/immaturity / no consequences for anything that's said or done = the petty bickering, arguing, flame wars, etc, etc, etc that are rampant on sites & boards everywhere.

- What's different (and most refreshing) about VGC is not that we have any shortage of strong, vocal & *OPPOSING/DIFFERING* opinions - given by people on both their good days (saints) and bad ones (ass-holes); so, there's arguments & disagreements *BUT* (thank God!) there's a maturity level & a friendship level here that makes it so that we can all disagree, voice our different opinions, get mad, curse, blow off steam, -and- at the end of the day...realize that that's all it is ==> and remain close friends who think different ways, lose their temper, bitch, moan, and argue with each other W/O being thin-skinned enough to take it personally.

TL;DR

(Just like family), we may argue, bitch, and curse each other out -but- when it's all over...everyone's still friends that like & respect each other  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #121 on: April 08, 2014, 04:32:35 pm »
If over 50% of your games come from gamestop, you can not consider yourself a gamer.
Not that I'm judging, I'm just wondering why you think that.

I've bought sooooo many PS2, Wii, and Xbox 360 games at GameStop. When you buy those used, that's usually the cheapest place to get them.

When they were FuncoLand back in the day, I bought a TON of NES games through them as well.

And I think at 817 items in my collection, and 25+ years of gaming, I can call myself a true gamer.

argyle

« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2014, 04:40:51 pm »
I think some people just don't know the suckage of living in a place where GS is your best option.  If I'm going to a b&m store for games it's either Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy or Target.  That's pretty much it.  Otherwise I'm ordering online. 

And from my experience, your local GS is as good or bad as the people who manage it & work there.  Luckily the one I frequent is staffed by some very cool people (one of the guys loves to talk niche JRPGs with me when I stop by) and I know the DM since he was a register jocky at GS years ago and he's a really cool guy too.  I've certainly BEEN to bad Gamestop's, and if that's all there is in your area I can certainly understand why you'd hate them. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2014, 04:50:26 pm »
- Nintendo is doin' just fine, and I don't care if they ever change their ways.
- GameStop is a pretty cool chain that actually understands what they're doing in the games business unlike most of it's competitors.
- I don't care for tactical strategy RPGs (few exceptions), and I hate when they try to sell them on having "story lines" like other games that are actually fun.
- I think they should stop producing physical copies of games like Madden, and just offer subscriptions to the new updates as downloads for sports fans. Outdated sports games could almost count as pollution, and excessive waste of materials.
- Fanboys often ruin the appeal of certain franchise/publisher/developers for me. There is no such thing as an infallible game, or publisher.
- I want my darn old fashioned consoles and hard copy games that I own and have control over, and I don't ever want that to change to a click or tap on a screen controlled by some remote server. I'm looking at you Steam and PlayStation Now.
- The term "hardcore gamer" is reserved for people who have very well rounded taste in games. Not so much somebody of obsessively plays the same game or the same type of games over and over, that's more like fanboy/addiction to me.
- Gamers who hold sky high standards towards every new experience, and trash most any underdog game or accuse it of being an unworthy clone of something superior. To these gamers something is either incredibly awesome or it's the most terrible thing ever.

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2014, 05:06:52 pm »
I buy pretty much everything new from Gamestop, they are just convenient and have the best game supply lol Some of their practices are annoying and shitty, but I have no serious issue with them.

For me, my probably unpopular gaming opinion would be that I think all Resident Evil games before RE4 are terrible to play.  Those tank controls were miserable, I hated the static camera, and while I enjoyed the setting and played nearly every one, I could only manage to beat I think RE3 and Dead Aim, of which Dead Aim is a light gun game lol.  The rest of the time I just got annoyed with the shitty controls.  None of them even remotely compare to RE4 for me.  I appreciate their place in the gaming lexicon, but I'd rather play pretty much any of the newer RE games than go play those ones...maybe even RE6, but I'm not committing to that, because that one was pretty bad lol
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:09:33 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2014, 06:27:19 pm »
- I think they should stop producing physical copies of games like Madden, and just offer subscriptions to the new updates as downloads for sports fans. Outdated sports games could almost count as pollution, and excessive waste of materials.

That's one of the smartest things I've ever heard someone say about the video game industry. I'm not being sarcastic.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2014, 07:11:58 pm »

Funny you mention this one. I just read today on a Facebook link that Nintendo's new logo intended for mobile apps has leaked. (Of course I can't find it, now.)

If Nintendo is thinking about mobile apps, that means they no longer care about exclusives. And if that's the case, than it's very likely Nintendo is thinking about abandoning the console model.

« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2014, 07:31:00 pm »

Funny you mention this one. I just read today on a Facebook link that Nintendo's new logo intended for mobile apps has leaked. (Of course I can't find it, now.)

If Nintendo is thinking about mobile apps, that means they no longer care about exclusives. And if that's the case, than it's very likely Nintendo is thinking about abandoning the console model.

I thought they completely dismissed that idea, because it was absolutely terrible for them in the long run if their stuff loses exclusivity.  Nintendo isn't the kind of company that goes for the quick buck route, they play the long game.

Warmsignal

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2014, 07:39:32 pm »

Or they could just create these new exclusive apps for mobile, I think they want to branch out to reach more casual consumers if they can. The Wii U will run a full course this gen, the doomsayers can believe what they want. Nintendo would never outright abandon anything, I think they're a lot smarter than that. They don't want to be the next Sega as far as consumer/investor confidence, and they aren't in any position that would force them to be. People talk like Nintendo is tanking, but they've got a good thing going and I don't see them cannibalizing that.  ;)

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2014, 08:29:27 pm »
Not to turn this into a Nintendo thread (Maybe we should open one to discuss the state of Nintendo), but it's said that Nintendo has enough money in the bank, that they could operate at a loss of millions for like 30 years and still stay in business lol

Maybe that's an unpopular opinion in there...I'm sure lots of non-Nintendo fans and those who don't want to buy a Wii U would love to see Nintendo bring some stuff Mobile.  They'd never go full mobile, but I could see them doing ports of their classic games.  I think this would be a terrible idea. 

Exclusive games can be frustrating at times, there's stuff I'm gonna want on the PS4 and Xbone some day for sure, but I'm not gonna buy them for that, same goes for Nintendo and other players, but if Nintendo loses that exclusivity, they lose the one thing that makes them enticing.  When you buy a Nintendo console, you get all the exclusives and great titles and back catalog they come with.  Sure, their third party games are waning abit, mostly just in multi-platform titles (Only a bad thing when you don't have multiple systems which it would be good to eventually go like Wii U + PS4).  Not too mention, them going to mobile hurts their handheld aspect.  Plus we know that gaming on mobile phones is pretty crappy.  If it involves anything more than a "tap", it's not very good, though I could see a runner game made with Mario for a buck, where he moves on his own and you just do nothing but tap to avoid pits, enemies, and attack blocks, sell that for a buck, but no serious games for sure.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2014, 08:40:12 pm »
I'm not a Nintendo hater. One look at my collection can confirm that. I was just passing along what I read. I'd hate for Nintendo to drop out of the home-console business, but the evidence keeps mounting.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2014, 09:49:49 pm »
I thought they already confirmed they were going to do mobile stuff to try to draw attention to the 3DS and WiiU? :o

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:24 pm »
I thought they already confirmed they were going to do mobile stuff to try to draw attention to the 3DS and WiiU? :o

I thought so. I also thought they said that they weren't going to be porting over any of their games to phones

soera

« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2014, 10:29:54 pm »
I really loved this thread.  I went back and re-read the whole thing.  Soera really pissed some folks off with his opinions.  That was good times. 

Glad to see this one come back from the dead.

Lol apparently my opinion is still striking nerves haha.

sin2beta

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2014, 10:43:50 pm »
I liked this thread too!

Here is my new unpopular opinion: It is time for distribution to go digital. I will still buy physical over digital. But, I'm starting to realize that it is because I don't want to accept what I want. When the rumors that the nextgen consoles being digital only turned out to be false... I was kind of disappointed. And after spending time with an XBox One and PS4, it was made clear that optical drives are meaningless.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c