Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 188162 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #630 on: January 07, 2015, 12:04:52 pm »
I just finished up Dragon Warrior 2. I was good with the game up until you get the ship. Once that happens, it literally doesn't tell you where to go. Each town has some rumor or hint about things, but it usually refers to something you haven't even arrived at or left a long time ago. So from that point on, I used a guide as it didn't tell me at all how to proceed.

This game was brutally hard in many ways. Lots of grinding, no ethers so everything you do has to be doable with the MP you have. Once I got to the Road to Rhone, the game got insanely difficult. At this point I used the Game Genie to just get to the end of the game.

Good story, GREAT music, but the pacing, difficulty, required grinding, and lack of direction got to me after a while. Still, glad I played it. I'll have to play 3 at some point here. Maybe after I play something else to take a break from RPGs. Maybe Shovel Knight!

I remember it being crazy hard as a kid, too. I remember finishing the first and 4th DW games on NES. But I never could complete the 2nd and 3rd ones.

soera

« Reply #631 on: January 07, 2015, 12:25:50 pm »
I didnt think DW 2 was all that bad. But I will agree with the boat assessment. Its easy to get lost in the game once you get it cause it opens up the map like 10X bigger than it was before it. I personally think 3 was the toughest of the NES titles. 4 is only tough cause there are different scenarios to deal with.

Glad to see people enjoying the old school DW games ... now if they would just release some of the new stuff!!!!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #632 on: January 07, 2015, 01:02:33 pm »
I didnt think DW 2 was all that bad. But I will agree with the boat assessment. Its easy to get lost in the game once you get it cause it opens up the map like 10X bigger than it was before it. I personally think 3 was the toughest of the NES titles. 4 is only tough cause there are different scenarios to deal with.

Glad to see people enjoying the old school DW games ... now if they would just release some of the new stuff!!!!

I'm in the middle of Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen on DS, right now. I'm loving it. It's both a great nostalgic trip back to Dragon Warrior IV (the 2nd RPG I ever completed (the 1st DW being the first one)), and it's a HUGE improvement on the original game in graphics, sound, and playability (not every little thing is menu-driven anymore, there's some direct-interaction in the world).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #633 on: January 07, 2015, 01:04:32 pm »

Brad - What's DQ VII like & how does it hold up today/how's it aged?

It's 1 of my PS1 games that I'd really like to get to, but - from what I've read, it's extremely long and (like lots of my favorite games), it seems to be very much of a "Love it or Hate it" kind of game.

worth playing?

think I'd like it?

I liked the only one I've played (DQ VIII); are they similar?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #634 on: January 07, 2015, 01:07:02 pm »
1. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
2. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
3. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (DS)
4. Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (XBox Live Arcade) (I beat both games: Tower of Doom & Shadow of Mystara)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (3DS)
6. Mega Man Legends (PS1) - Beat Again
7. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
8. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
9. WWE 2K14 (XBox 360)
10. Spyro: Year of the Dragon (PS1)
11. King's Field II (PS1) (King's Field III outside the U.S.)
12. Raiden Fighters (XBox 360)
13. Raiden Fighters 2 (XBox 360)
14. Raiden Fighters: Jet (XBox 360)
15. Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (DS)
16. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (XBox 360)
17. Raiden III (PS2)
18. Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (3DS)
19. Batman: Arkham Origins (XBox 360)
20. Raiden IV (XBox 360)
21. WWE 2K15 (XBox 360)
22. DuckTales: Remastered (XBox Live Arcade)
23. MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf (XBox)
24. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)

So here's my final list of completed games in 2014. Didn't quite make it to 25, would have been nice to see that round number. (Unless you count me beating DuckTales Remastered over and over again.) But still, I did pretty good. Especially considering I don't consider myself to be a good at gaming. I enjoy it a lot, but I'll never be a gaming wizard.

I also have a feeling my 2015 list will be a lot shorter with my new baby girl.

bobster

« Reply #635 on: January 07, 2015, 02:05:28 pm »
I just finished up Dragon Warrior 2. I was good with the game up until you get the ship. Once that happens, it literally doesn't tell you where to go. Each town has some rumor or hint about things, but it usually refers to something you haven't even arrived at or left a long time ago. So from that point on, I used a guide as it didn't tell me at all how to proceed.

This game was brutally hard in many ways. Lots of grinding, no ethers so everything you do has to be doable with the MP you have. Once I got to the Road to Rhone, the game got insanely difficult. At this point I used the Game Genie to just get to the end of the game.

Good story, GREAT music, but the pacing, difficulty, required grinding, and lack of direction got to me after a while. Still, glad I played it. I'll have to play 3 at some point here. Maybe after I play something else to take a break from RPGs. Maybe Shovel Knight!

I remember it being crazy hard as a kid, too. I remember finishing the first and 4th DW games on NES. But I never could complete the 2nd and 3rd ones.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that had problems.

I think that if I was younger, had played it back then, and had the patience we had back then, I'd have enjoyed it no problem. As it stands, I'm a little too time constrained to really grind. Like I said, I enjoyed a bunch of it. I'm a little scared to hear that 3 might be harder. Oh well. Time to shape up and buckle down  :D.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

soera

« Reply #636 on: January 07, 2015, 05:50:50 pm »
Brad - What's DQ VII like & how does it hold up today/how's it aged?

It's 1 of my PS1 games that I'd really like to get to, but - from what I've read, it's extremely long and (like lots of my favorite games), it seems to be very much of a "Love it or Hate it" kind of game.

worth playing?

think I'd like it?

I liked the only one I've played (DQ VIII); are they similar?

DQ VII is second only to DQ VIII for me. I really enjoyed the fact that the game is super long. Its one of the games on my short replay backlog.

bobster

« Reply #637 on: January 13, 2015, 10:54:13 am »
I completed Shovel Knight yesterday. That game was super awesome. I loved all the old gaming tropes that the game had in it. Definitely well worth the money. I considered playing New Game+ but it doesn't appear to add anything other than harder difficulty.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

abe

« Reply #638 on: January 13, 2015, 02:08:16 pm »
I just finished up the campaign in Far Cry 4 on the PS4. It was pretty good. Though I preferred some aspects of Far Cry 3 to 4 (particularly the neat skill tattoos and the tropical island setting), I feel that I got a lot more out of 4.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #639 on: January 13, 2015, 08:34:30 pm »
Lego marvel first walk through. PS4

Such a fun game

foxhack

« Reply #640 on: January 16, 2015, 01:14:32 am »
I cleared Wolfenstein: The New Order on the 13th, and I just finished a second playthrough on the hardest difficulty to get all the items I was missing, plus all the achievements.

This is the second game I've finished this year.

foxhack

« Reply #641 on: January 19, 2015, 12:53:46 am »
Game #3: Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut, with 18/24 achievements.

gf78

« Reply #642 on: January 19, 2015, 11:31:53 am »
Just recently finished Dragon Age Inquisition (still have more side quests tho), Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, Alien Isolation and I've been playing a lot of Destiny, Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare and Advanced Warfare online.  That's this year. 

Last year, I finished Destiny (not including DLC), Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, The Walking Dead Season 2, Killzone Shadow Fall, Last of Us Remastered, Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes, Injustice and a bunch of others I can't remember.  Have a pretty large backlog right now, but have been spending too much time playing Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare with my daughter.   8)
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #643 on: January 19, 2015, 02:31:21 pm »
Haven't stopped by here (this thread) recently.

I guess I finished (and got myself a hard-earned & challenging Platinum trophy) for Tears to Tiara 2 a week or 2 ago ;D

and -

a few days after that...I jumped right into & started playing the (PS3) game Class of Heroes 2G.

The platinum is looking unlikely :-\

Anyone else here play and/or remember Star Ocean 3: TtEoT?

Remember those maps *and* the way you'd need to move to every possible square on it...some of which you needed special tools/abilities to reach (1st outlining it, then trying to fill-in the rest of it) to get that (I think it was either a) bonus, battle trophy; or, maybe both for getting the map's 'counter' to say/read that you've "100%-ed it?

Same idea for one of the trophies here, only...multiply the # of maps & areas AND the *size* of said maps & areas by 10 to 20 times :o

That aside - I'm loving the game and - if like me - you have (an) addictive personality or tendencies = prepare to be hooked; 'tis 'Class of Crack! 8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #644 on: January 20, 2015, 02:53:31 pm »
Finished up Far Cry 4 this past Sunday. Still have 2 trophies to get, the 2 co-op ones, but for all intents & purposes the game is finished. That's 2 so far for the year, and I should knock out another couple that I'm close on before the end of the month.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis