Author Topic: Recently completed/finished  (Read 189567 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Recently completed/finished
« Reply #1095 on: December 13, 2016, 02:27:49 pm »
Dude!  You're so close!  Just finish it!  The last level is pretty tough, but it's doable.
I finished it for the second time yesterday. This time I got 100%

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1096 on: December 13, 2016, 02:34:16 pm »
I can't, I tried so many times.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1097 on: December 13, 2016, 02:35:59 pm »
Dude!  You're so close!  Just finish it!  The last level is pretty tough, but it's doable.

How do you get the Heart Squid that's in the Desert Temple, in the other area with the mouth-spitter things? The one in the middle of them, stuck in the wall on all four sides. It looks like it's impossible to reach.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1098 on: December 13, 2016, 05:23:09 pm »

How do you get the Heart Squid that's in the Desert Temple, in the other area with the mouth-spitter things? The one in the middle of them, stuck in the wall on all four sides. It looks like it's impossible to reach.

I'll be honest.  I don't know.  I had to google/youtube some of them.

If I had to guess, I'd say in the desert temple you get the sword, right?  Can you get above it and use the sword to go down?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:25:29 pm by turf »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1099 on: December 18, 2016, 06:46:21 pm »
BurningDoom's 2016 Beaten Games list:
1.Back to the Future: The Game - 30th Anniversary Edition (XBox One)
2. The Walking Dead: Season Two (XBox One)
3. Shovel Knight (Wii U)
4. Avengers Mobile Game (Phone)
5. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 (XBox 360)
6. Far Cry: Primal (XBox One)
7. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
8. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1)
9. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (XBox One)
10. Strikers 1945 (PS1)
11. Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
12. Raiden III (PS2)
13. Dragon Warrior II (GBC)
14. Samurai Warriors 3 (Wii)
15. Dragon Warrior (GBC)
16. Dragon Warrior III (GBC)
17. WWE 2K16 (XBox One)
18. Bionic Commando (GBA) (via Capcom Classic Mini Mix)
19. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
20. Resident Evil: Revelations (Xbox 360)
21. Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (3DS)
22. Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
23. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (XBox One)

24. Resident Evil: Survivor (PS1)

This really felt like a fan-made game in the series. It wasn't as terribly unplayable as people make it out to be online. But it wasn't good, either. It was a very generic attempt at a Resident Evil game that barely took use of the license, it seemed (though it wasn't a licensed game, really, it was a Capcom made game). Thin plot, bad voice-acting, no real replayability, and far too easy.

Not only is it far too easy, it's very short. I beat it, on my first attempt, in one afternoon, with no game overs, and got an "A" ranking at the ending.

Worth it for cheap if you're a big RE fan, but don't pay much for it. And don't bother if you're not into RE a lot.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:47:49 am by burningdoom »

kashell

« Reply #1100 on: December 22, 2016, 08:47:12 am »
Last night, I got the platinum trophy in Shadow Complex Remastered. I look back at the game with mixed thoughts.

The Metroidvania aspect of it was really fun, not that I doubted it wouldn't be. Getting new gear and slowly but surely opening up the complex felt new and fresh each time; this is coming from someone that went through the game three times in a row.

The controls and the combat were what bothered me. Jason could only move in four directions, but enemies could come in and out of the background/foreground. The auto-aim feature was messy, plus there were times the controls just wouldn't do what I told them. When playing on Insanity level of difficulty, not having your aiming working properly lead to a swift game over. Also, boss battles were boring.

One thing I really liked about the game was that Jason seemed to have a comment for everything at first. As you got further into the game, his dialogue just dropped.

Random thoughts:
*I liked that levels carry throughout each playthrough; the bonuses that came with them were necessary
*Missiles were far more effective than regular ammo and, of course, more fun
*My speedrun time on Insane was nine minutes shy of earning the Jason Bailey trophy, which made it necessary for me to do a  speedrun on Casual
*Without the use of a guide, I think it would be close to impossible to earn some of the trophies

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1101 on: December 22, 2016, 08:34:45 pm »
3. Shovel Knight (Wii U)
10. Strikers 1945 (PS1)
12. Raiden III (PS2)
15. Dragon Warrior (GBC)
17. WWE 2K16 (XBox One)

25. X-Men: Reign of Apocalypse (GBA)

It's your average Final Fight-style beat-em up, starring the X-Men and their villains. You can play as Cyclops, Rogue, Storm, and of course Wolverine. Each have a few different moves, but are not too different.

Boss battles are the highlight of the game, with appearances by Juggernaut, Magneto, Apocalypse, Sabretooth, and others.

You can "upgrade" your strength, health, or mutant power by 2 points at the end of each level. But honestly, it really didn't feel like it did anything.

Worth it for a few bucks and a time waster if you're a comic fan, but not worth much more.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1102 on: December 23, 2016, 01:08:40 am »
After singing the game's praises for years, I finally sat down and played Power Blade from beginning to end.  It's not a hard game at all, I just haven't pushed through to the end. 

Power Blade is probably in my top 10 favorite games on the NES. 

« Reply #1103 on: December 24, 2016, 12:53:13 am »
The Last of Us

Just completed this game for the first time and started up the Left Behind DLC right away. Absolutely loved the game. The actual gameplay left something to be desired after a fashion, but the game still felt tense all the way through. I felt that Hard was really the perfect difficulty to play on for a first time long as you can handle yourself in a 3rd person shooter + stealth. While ammo was still fairly scarce, I found that sneaking around most encounters while maybe taking out a couple enemies here and there was fairly easy, but when I'd get caught out, it wasn't too tough to take advantage of any sort of burst or aoe style attack and just take out a wave of enemies at once. The infected I mostly avoided fights with which I actually liked, I appreciated that they were tough as hell and could take you down quickly. The human enemies weren't too hard to deal with really, again it was just a matter of being sneaky, taking out a few guys, and getting past, or being quick on the headshot.

The tension in the story mixed with the difficulty and moderately slow pace of the game made for probably my tensest experience with a game in a long time, and between each session I had nothing but anticipation for the next go. I'm really, really interested in seeing what happens next with this story, now that Part 2 has been announced, prime timing for me!

azure

« Reply #1104 on: December 24, 2016, 12:32:04 pm »
Finished up a childhood goal of mine, beating The Ultimate Doom on Nightmare difficulty. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, will probably try to conquer Doom 2 next.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1105 on: December 27, 2016, 01:04:11 pm »
3. Shovel Knight (Wii U)
10. Strikers 1945 (PS1)
12. Raiden III (PS2)
15. Dragon Warrior (GBC)
17. WWE 2K16 (XBox One)

26. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS)

I didn't actually finish it. But I've gotten as far as I'm gonna get. I got to the final level. I just can't get past the part where those mouth-things spit you along the level. In the last level, the timing has to be so absolutely precise to many times in a row that I just can't do it.

Up until that point, though, it was a VERY enjoyable little action-platformer with some Metroidvania-elements to it; such as gaining new abilities that allow you to reach new areas, and a healthy bit of exploration and item collection. Though it's not a big open-world like Metroid, it's a level-by-level deal, but you can go back to past levels with new abilities and access new areas.

Great sprite-work, great level-design, and charming characters round-out the great gameplay, too.

I want to play the others in this series, now.

I went back and beat it for real, now! And I loved it! So I can officially put it on the beaten list, now!

Gotta say, though, I went back and downloaded the original Shantae, and it's not NEARLY as good as The Pirate's Curse.

I wish the other Shantae games used the pirate equipment, instead of the animal changes. The equipment is soooo much more fun to play with.

stlgamer75

« Reply #1106 on: December 29, 2016, 09:37:28 am »
Just finished playing through Monster Party for the NES now I'm working through River City Ransom.
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1107 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:58 pm »
3. Shovel Knight (Wii U)
10. Strikers 1945 (PS1)
12. Raiden III (PS2)
15. Dragon Warrior (GBC)
17. WWE 2K16 (XBox One)
26. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS)

27. Tetris (Game Boy)

By beating it, I mean I beat the final level of "Game B".

Not much to say here, it's Tetris. We all know it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1108 on: January 05, 2017, 09:56:43 pm »
^ Tetris was the last game of 2016 I had beaten. So 2016 ends with a respectable 27 games beaten, for me.

This year begins with a great action-platformer:

Shantae: Risky's Revenge (DS)

Loved this little Metroidvania platformer as much as I did Pirate's Curse (first one in the series I played). Fun gameplay, bright, great-looking cartoony 2D graphics; and odd-yet-fun characters.

Wayforward is easily one of the best modern game developers!

soera

« Reply #1109 on: January 07, 2017, 12:27:18 pm »
Dragon quest builders. If you had shied away from this game thinking its going to be minecraft, you need to rethink your decision. The only thing that makes this similar is the building part. The game has a great story and its fun to play from start to finish.