Author Topic: Japan or bust!  (Read 2976 times)

desocietas

Japan or bust!
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:51:53 pm »
Ok, the day is finally here - I'll be in Japan in approximately two days.  Approximately because the time change still boggles my mind.

I know I should stop by one of the Hot Potatoes... What else?  I'll be in Tokyo for a few days, then off to the Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto area.  Has anyone else been there before?  Any suggestions?  Anything I should look for for bringing back with me?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jcalder8

Re: Japan or bust!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:22 pm »
Anything I should look for for bringing back with me?
I have a list of things you can bring back for me :D

How long are you going to be there for?

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 11:08:54 pm »
Anything I should look for for bringing back with me?
I have a list of things you can bring back for me :D
lol I'll see what kind of luggage I end up bringing with me... still have decided yet :\

How long are you going to be there for?

I'll be there for about 10 days.  Not long enough!  But I'm promising myself that I'll go again.  And will learn more Japanese for that trip.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 11:13:53 pm »
DAMN IT, WOMAN, WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE US MORE ADVANCE WARNING ON THIS

YOU COULD'VE MADE A FORTUNE OUT OF US :P

Good luck!

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 11:18:49 pm »

Good luck!

Haha, we're renting a wifi device while we're there, so I'll still check in on y'all about any suggestions for places to go or gaming stuff to look for.  Too bad I can't read Japanese (yet)...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 11:37:53 pm »
Ok, the day is finally here - I'll be in Japan in approximately two days.  Approximately because the time change still boggles my mind.

I know I should stop by one of the Hot Potatoes... What else?  I'll be in Tokyo for a few days, then off to the Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto area.  Has anyone else been there before?  Any suggestions?  Anything I should look for for bringing back with me?

I used to live there as a kid when my family was stationed there. There are still somethings in the right spot. So, I will give some suggestions as best as I can.

Go to Harajuku. One of the best places ever! Number 1 thing to do... Marion Crepes is amazing! Go there, eat crepes, and then  be happy. If you could mail back satisfaction after eating those delicious things, Iwould have you do that. The best I can do in terms of directions is to copy and paste this into google maps. Go to street view. It is a few feet east with a blue roof thing.

Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, Jingūmae, 1丁目20−6 ミスギビル

Just off of Harajuku is the Tamagotchi Donut store. I'm amazed that is still there. From the above address, go west just past the Lotteria. Then North. It is immediately on the right. All of this is easy to find since it is just off of Harajuku station.

There are some sweet SEGA arcades in Shibuya. You won't have trouble finding them. But it can be fun to spend a bit of time in them.

All over Japan are soft serve ice cream machines. They usually have about 30 flavors. Get Green Tea Ice Cream. It is amazing! The good ones sprinkle green tea on top. I have literally spent years trying to track down how to order one of these ice cream machines. They are like the ice cream equivalent of a Keurig coffee machine in how they work.

Go to Book Off.

If you want temples, go to Kyoto.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:48:53 pm »
I've heard about Book Off!  Those suggestions are great - crepes sound awesome, and donuts! Who doesn't like donuts?!

And thanks for letting me know about the arcades... I know there are probably a lot but I wouldn't know where the "good" ones would be.  And the blue roof directions -- super helpful; even with wifi and Google Maps, I think I'll still have a really hard time figuring out where things are over there.  Entering an address into Google Maps seems to confuse it sometimes :\
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 11:56:49 pm »
I also forget you have Book Off in San Francisco. I don't know how american they are though...

If you have any questions about areas, let me know. I may not know too much.

For 10 days and just gauging your interests as best as I can, Harajuku and Shibuya will be the best places. You might take the train to Asukusa and Akihabara to get some tourist stuff.

Were you planning on going anywhere besides Tokyo?
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:25:01 am »

Good luck!

I've known for awhile. Gave her a couple thinks to watch for, ha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

insektmute

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 12:31:40 am »
So jealous. Enjoy your trip!

soera

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 12:34:26 am »
Im jealous as hell!!! Please bring me back 2 things :D

http://www.shopncsx.com/dragonquestmetalslimespeakerstand.aspx

http://kotaku.com/5535381/the-bizarre-dragon-quest-battle-road-victory-controller-approaches

This would complete my world! (both new if possible ... especially the speaker stand)

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 12:46:12 am »
I'm not gonna ask you to bring me a bunch of shit back, I'm simply going to say enjoy your trip!
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

darko

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 01:10:10 am »
Have an awesome time and we all expect some pics!

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:23 am »
Enjoy your tripp over there... oneday, it will be my turn! :)

ko1ru

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:41:08 pm »