Author Topic: soo some help with consoles  (Read 985 times)

soo some help with consoles
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:45:54 pm »
I bought out a guys garage of broken consoles(or so he said,most not even broken:) 4 dreamcasts 2 work, 8 gamcubes 5 work,7 Xbox's(have not tested), 3 wii's(have not tested), 4 ps1's(not tested), 3 snes(1 working), 2 nes(not tested), 3 genesis(none working:()
but..... one of the dreamcasts powers on but no picture, any advice on what it could be or how to fix? is it easy to figure out what's wrong with your snes? since I have 2 broken ones could I not just use one for parts to fix the other one? how easy is this? same with the 3 gamecube? I imagine it's a little tough figuring out what's wrong with it though.

Btw I paid 100$ for all soo even if I sell most of them and get 100 and break even,I still got a dreamcast and snes for free. But I most likely will profit off this... any help would be awesome to hear:)
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

ffxik

Re: soo some help with consoles
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 12:42:22 am »
Well.....
Hmmmm.

It's hard to say without a system by system breakdown.  Do they power on?  If they do, do they read discs?  Could be a myriad of things, from bad cables, bad capacitors, bad pickups, dirty connectors, broken solder joints, chips that have been destroyed, or mix and match.  This really is a crap shoot.

I have seen systems that were put in an outdoor shed for three years with absolutely no protection from the elements, work with a little TLC.  I wonder if some of them were failed modding attempts.  Opening them up will tell that.   You'll need a Nintendo security bit for the SNES's and the Gamecubes.
A torx bit set for the Xbox's.  The Wii's you will need the security bit and a tri wing screw driver.  On top of that you will need a standard philips screwdriver set, 0-2 size preferable. 

As far as ease goes when it comes to making some of the repairs.  Ask yourself some questions.  How much soldering experience do I have?  Can I get it back together when I get it apart? Do I trust myself to do the job?  If you answer yes to these then dig in.  If not, you have a bunch of broken consoles to practice on.  Can't break what is already broken, right. :D

The SNES, NES, Dreamcast, PSX, and Genesis are fairly straight forward in dis-assembly.  The Gamecube and Xbox can be a problem. As both have small plastic pieces that are easy to break.  The Wii is a friggin nightmare.   It is an amalgamation of different screw styles, sizes and plastic wankery.  Real pain to get back together, correctly too.

That is if your like me and curious about this sort of thing.  If not then, oh well :D  Sell'em for what you can get and call it a day.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:20:41 am »
Thanks for the reply. I do have the tools to tale apart all of it except the Wii which does not sound fun lol. I think I'm gonna take a look at them but I'm gonna leave the Xbox and Wii and GameCube alone. I mainly just want a working genesis out of all this anyway plus a extra Dreamcast lol
PS4-zxzpigxzx

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:53:56 am »
All my n64s turn on but don't show picture or sound.one of my dream casts freezes or gets stuck on Dreamcast logo. My other one will say no disk. My SNES won't turn on.my other Dreamcast will not turn on. My GameCube says a error and to read booklet my other one says no disk. Any ideas? I thought 2 dream casts work but only one:/
PS4-zxzpigxzx

ffxik

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 04:53:23 am »
The no disc error can probably be fixed by replacing the pickups (lasers) in the respective system.  The Gamecube error I believe is the sign that they system is on the verge of tee total death.  The freezing Dreamcast, I'm not sure about.  :-[

Dreamcast lasers usually go for $20-25
Gamecube go for $10-15

The N64s clean the contacts in both cartridge slot and the jumper pack.  If either of these get corroded it will not work properly.  Some people use fine sandpaper wrapped around a credit card or equivalent.  I do not recommend that method, because it is too easy to screw up the contacts.  Another way is to rub down a cart with 91% Isopropyl and repeatedly insert/remove it form the system.  Same with the jumper pak.   It will lift some of the corrosion but depending on the severity of it, ehhhh... It may not be enough.  You can buy contact cleaner but it is fairly expensive.  Something like $15 for 10ml.

Oh and if you manage to get them working by cleaning the contacts and it starts going through a reset loop.  You need to clean the jumper pak contacts more.   I had that problem with mine.

The SNES, Dreamcast could be a bad fuse or the power regulator chip could be bad.   :-\  Either way a solder job.  Now that I think about it could be what is wrong with the Gens too.  A multimeter would tell you for sure.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:59:41 am by ffxik »

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 05:40:15 am »
well I will try with my n64 here soon. I got my dreamcast that wasn't reading disks working, the switch for the latch to know if the cover was closed needed to be cleaned(easy fix). im not gonna worry about my gamecube I will just try to sell it in a lot of broken consoles. I'm checking my other DC right now. I don't know whats up with the freezing one though. I hate the screws for the n64(snes and nes games) its soo easy to strip(annoying)

thanks for the help man. ill try that out and see if it works
PS4-zxzpigxzx

ffxik

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:15:50 am »
well I will try with my n64 here soon. I got my dreamcast that wasn't reading disks working, the switch for the latch to know if the cover was closed needed to be cleaned(easy fix). im not gonna worry about my gamecube I will just try to sell it in a lot of broken consoles. I'm checking my other DC right now. I don't know whats up with the freezing one though. I hate the screws for the n64(snes and nes games) its soo easy to strip(annoying)

thanks for the help man. ill try that out and see if it works

I got to thinking of what could be wrong with them on a complex level that I completely forgot about the latches on the CD units.  Silly me. :-[

You're welcome.  If you couldn't tell I love doing this kind of stuff.   ;D