Author Topic: RETRO MULTIPLAYER GAMES!  (Read 5136 times)

patrickmeansly

Re: RETRO MULTIPLAYER GAMES!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 11:56:20 pm »
I was playing some Dreamcast after a frustrating day at work and remembered some great multiplayer games:

Powerstone
Ooga Booga
Chu Chu Rocket
Gauntlet Legends
Dynamite Cop
Zombie Revenge
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Phantasy Star Online (essentially a multiplayer dungeon crawler in offline mode with four players)

Man, I need to get my dreamcast online again. After the move and such, that might be the next big project for me. That or getting all of my retro machines hooked up via SCART RGB.

Not a Dreamcast game, but in my opinion the best multiplayer game of all time... starcraft. I used to play this with friends for months straight. We would go to school come home, and play starcraft the entire time home. The entire weekend etc. Parents would get upset that we would tie up the phone line. Beautiful 56k days...

lol.  you know i have never played any version of phantasy star.  is that a great game to play without the internet????

I just saw this post, so excuse the lateness.

For the most part, Phantasy Star Online is not a great game without internet. But I do feel it is a competent dungeon crawler. I probably feel different about it because my old college roommates and I used to play Gauntlet Legends all the time. But at some point that gets old. There's only so much of it. Phantasy Star Online is a much bigger game. More time consuming. And has much much more emphasis on multiplayer. Would I recommend it for a random game night. Not unless you guys love but are tired of Gauntlet Legends and the such. For the Dreamcast it is a very affordable game. It can still be found sealed for a little over $10.

Now, if you have never played a game in the Phantasy Star series and are a fan of Final Fantasy. Play Phantasy Star 1-4!!!! More specifically, play the first Final Fantasy, then play the first Phantasy Star. Then be marveled that these two games were released 10 days apart. Phantasy Star was well ahead of its time and has aged wonderfully. It is still quite enjoyable. In fact, here is a review of someone who just recently played it:

Thats not a problem for the timing of the post.  I just got a Sega Master System about 2 months ago and eventually I am getting Phantasy Star, and then I will play my way up to number 4 so I was curious.  Also, do you know about all the contents of the Earthbound SNES complete included contents???  Am I correct to believe it is the following:  The big box of course, The white cardboard, the cartridge, a Nintendo poster and the Earthbound strategy guide????  I see the guide on Ebay but not sure if it was orginally included.  I want to buy my Earthbound complete in portions due to the cost, is why I am asking.  Thanks for your time.

sin2beta

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 11:59:55 pm »
I believe that is it. A SNES collector might chime in. From what I've seen, get pictures of the back of the guide for the scratch and sniff cards. Sometimes these are missing or in horrible shape. But the guide was definitely included.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

blipcs76

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 10:06:07 am »
When me and my former roommate get together every few months for game night, we break out the same games each time:

DC:
Gunbird 2
Mars Matrix
Gigawing 1/2

N64:
Conker's Bad Fur Day: fantastic multiplayer here

PS1:
Board Game Top Shop

GC:
Dave Mirra Pro BMX 2: Wipeout mode only.  Score is calculated by best crashes, and you can bail from your bike and grab objects after you bail, so we crash into freeway traffic and grab cars whizzing by at 70MPH.  Simply hilarious, and this game is dirt cheap!

soera

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 10:32:51 am »
I want to start by echoing a few things Sin2beta said. PSO is horrible by itself. I have a buddy who plays co-op games with me and we have tried them all including that one. Its a miserable experience if you dont have online. Also Phantasy Star itself is marvelous compared to the NES version of Final Fantasy. It just goes to show what kind of influence Nintendo had on the gaming world cause if it was simply based on games, you would have many many sequels of PS and almost nothing of FF.

As far as co-op games, I love dungeon crawlers. I have both Baldur's gate games, both Champions of Norrath games, Diablo for the PS1 (which I will not recommend cause its beyond dated), and Dungeons and Dragons heroes for the Xbox. Also Gauntlet Legends was a pretty cool playthrough as well.