Author Topic: Downtime  (Read 4838 times)

matt

Downtime
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:01:58 pm »
Just wanted to apologize for the extended downtime today. This is the first major server trouble we've had that completed knocked things out for hours. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of it and evaluate our status with our current provider. I'm committed to having as close to 100% up time as possible and hope this was just an isolated incident.

Thanks,
Matt

scott

Re: Downtime
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:49:57 pm »
Ya we haven't had any server issues in a while. At least that I can think of. The last major problem, I remember, was just after we started up and it was very sporadic.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

madmax

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:10:18 pm »
I've always wondered who was hosting this. this website will potentially have a massive amount of content in the future. downtime is normal with all servers though. my last server was terrible at handling traffic. make sure you keep a backup on a different server/different host ;) (or locally)

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:05:28 am »
I may be having problems with my browser (Chrome), but I spent some time scanning today and was trying to update a game here (Landstalker to be more specific).  It would hang on uploading images.  But, like I said it may have just been my PC.

Edit: Just gave it another shot, the game info Edit works fine now.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 12:07:46 am »
Over the past few weeks, I feel like VGC would hang for a few minutes before getting back to what it was supposed to be doing.  Figured maybe it was something on my end, but the rest of my internets seemed fine otherwise.  Happened on my PC at home and the Mac at work...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

atariboy

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:19:11 am »
Whew!!! I thought I was banned from the site. LOL just kidding glad to see things up and running again.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

amauriel

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:51:36 am »
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the update on Facebook about it. I was there first yesterday so that took the "What's wrong? Is it my computer?" out of it.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

matt

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:07:02 am »
@madmax I'm going to be researching new hosts as I need more control, especially when stuff goes wrong.

@varkias There were disk issues that probably started slowing things down earlier and eventually caused the server to fail.

@desocietas As far as I know we haven't had any downtime but we are sharing resources with a few other sites that may cause spikes in performance.

@amauriel If nothing else it was really fun to see our Facebook page come alive so quickly ha.

Also we have nightly database backups and off-site file backups. In case of a major outage we may lose a small bit of data but never more than 24 hours.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 04:40:44 pm »
I bet this guy is running the server... http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com/.  Check out episode 1 if you have not seen it before, might be NSFW.