Author Topic: Top Retro Controllers of All Time  (Read 9539 times)

patrickmeansly

Top Retro Controllers of All Time
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:25:26 am »
So I hope no one gets mad at me for these topics in classic games, I am starting to love this site and I love hearing everyones opinions and recommendations.  This idea came from my top 10 classic consoles off all time.  Now I am very curious of everyones top 10 CONTROLLERS of all time????????  If you want to put your most hated controller, do it too.

MIne:

runner up.  Gamecube (not terrible but I did get complicated at times)

10. Atari 2600 Joystick controller (lol hey its easy to use)

9. Sega Saturn (I had to throw this awesome controller some where on the list)

8. Xbox (not a huge fan of xbox, but i'll give it to the controller was pretty dam good)

7. PS1/PS2

6. Super Nintendo (Just a little bit more complicated than SNES)

5.  Sega Master System

4.  Sega Genesis regular and the official Genesis turbo controller

3. NES (two buttons so simple and fun)

2. DREAMCAST (i know a lot dont like it but I thought this was one of the most comfortable controllers)

1. Nintendo 64 controller (so simple to use for left handers like me)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:11:32 pm by exonerator »

pacpix

Re: TOP RETRO CONTROLLERS OF ALL TIME!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 12:47:10 am »
So I hope no one gets mad at me for these topics in classic games, I am starting to love this site and I love hearing everyones opinions and recommendations.
You have started a lot of good threads, but you might want to slow down a bit so you do not flood the forum :)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:28:33 am »
So I hope no one gets mad at me for these topics in classic games, I am starting to love this site and I love hearing everyones opinions and recommendations.
You have started a lot of good threads, but you might want to slow down a bit so you do not flood the forum :)
This.

Also, please cut down on the caps in the thread titles. :(

patrickmeansly

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:37:11 am »
This.

Im in the zone!!!  starting to love it.  How come no one else post anything in classic category that much???

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 12:59:20 pm »

Im in the zone!!!  starting to love it.  How come no one else post anything in classic category that much???

We've done all these lists before.

brunauss

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »
This.

A thread flood? Should we be concerned and ask Noah to start building that boat then?
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

patrickmeansly

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 05:28:34 pm »

A thread flood? Should we be concerned and ask Noah to start building that boat then?

Does this mean its okay for me to make posts???? 

*  Another topic for a moment, I just noticed today that Mega Man Legends 2 on Playstation 1 is selling for over 90.00.  Does anyone know why????

brunauss

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 05:43:50 pm »

Does this mean its okay for me to make posts???? 

*  Another topic for a moment, I just noticed today that Mega Man Legends 2 on Playstation 1 is selling for over 90.00.  Does anyone know why????

That is a very good question. I'm currently searching multiple sources at the moment. An amazon listing has it for $289. I am not kidding about this. See for yourself peeps:
http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Man-Legends-2-Playstation-System/dp/B00004XONL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368567717&sr=8-1&keywords=mega+man+legends+2
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

brunauss

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »
Done searching. My instincts say its deliberate by some buyer or company out there.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

soera

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 06:07:31 pm »
MM Legends 1 is decent priced. http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/mega-man-legends
MM Legends 2 is always twice that : http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/mega-man-legends-2
Tron Bonne is even more! http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/the-misadventures-of-tron-bonne

As far as the original topic, I will name some of my favorite controllers :

Playstation official - Sony started out with a fantastic controller on the PS1. They eventually added digital thumb pads on the PSOne. It was such a great design that it made it to the PS2 and the PS3. Hopefully they dont break the mold like expected on the PS4.

Dogbone - While the NES brick is okay, its sharp edges get annoying after hours of continuous game play. With the top loader, they fixed the issue and released one of the most awesome controllers ever made. Simple, comfortable ... just great.

SNES original - Everything the Dogbone was got improved when the SNES was released.

Micro con (Mad Katz) - During the 6th gen, these controllers came out and really appealed to people with a smaller hand size. It allowed people like myself to comfortably play the Xbox.

patrickmeansly

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 07:11:01 pm »
MM Legends 1 is decent priced. http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/mega-man-legends
MM Legends 2 is always twice that : http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/mega-man-legends-2
Tron Bonne is even more! http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/the-misadventures-of-tron-bonne

As far as the original topic, I will name some of my favorite controllers :

Playstation official - Sony started out with a fantastic controller on the PS1. They eventually added digital thumb pads on the PSOne. It was such a great design that it made it to the PS2 and the PS3. Hopefully they dont break the mold like expected on the PS4.

Dogbone - While the NES brick is okay, its sharp edges get annoying after hours of continuous game play. With the top loader, they fixed the issue and released one of the most awesome controllers ever made. Simple, comfortable ... just great.

SNES original - Everything the Dogbone was got improved when the SNES was released.

Micro con (Mad Katz) - During the 6th gen, these controllers came out and really appealed to people with a smaller hand size. It allowed people like myself to comfortably play the Xbox.

Oh yea!  I forgot the playstation 1 had a regular controller without the 2 analogs.  Those were bad ass controllers for that time.  And when you say dog bone, are you referring to the top loading nes????  I never really a nes top loader that much so I'm not sure

patrickmeansly

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 07:12:42 pm »
Ah.  I just searched online.  I do remember using that nes dog bone controller!!!  I forgot all about it.  Soera, can i used it on a regular nes or just the top loader?/

soera

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »
Yep its good on both. They arent cheap to find however.

patrickmeansly

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 07:37:05 pm »
Yep its good on both. They arent cheap to find however.

Cool.  I got to get me one.  I find quite a bit nes controllers at good will so Hopefully ill find one there.  Thanks for that info and refreshing my memory.  I forgot all about that.   I do have the NES Advantage controller and it works  okay.  Its best for me for games like Dragon Warrior but not for adventures like Zelda.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 08:30:22 pm »
As a lefty, I personally found the N64 controller to be extremely uncomfortable. Mainly because of the control stick. That thing was rough on my thumbs and wore out quickly. I did like the Z button, though.

My favorite controller has always been the one for the Gamecube (not sure if that counts as retro, though.) It's so comfortable and takes forever to wear out. The Dreamcast controller also had some interesting features.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.