Author Topic: Anime Recommendation?  (Read 15611 times)

Re: Anime Recommendation?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 11:16:18 am »
Ah, a topic I am very fond of!  All the series and movies recommended thus far are very good.  A few others that I have not seen mentioned but I recommend of are Chobits (man loves female computer...odd), Samurai 7 (good old-fashioned swordplay), Hell Girl (good for fans of Death Note), Initial D (for the boy racer in me), and High School of the Dead (lotta violence, lotta cursing, and boatloads of booby and crotch shots, so beware!)  My son is partial to Soul Eater (haven't seen it yet) and Witch Hunter Robin, and my daughter (10 years old, mind you) likes Love Hina and Kaleido Star.  Anime: a family diversion! LOL

darko

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »
I can't seem to remember another one I watched several years ago. It's a ghost story and I believe the main character is a photographer or writer or something similar. It's really violent and I remember something about a little girl dying or being murdered in a small village inside of a storage shed/barn type building. That's really all I can distinctly remember, other than a ton of people being killed.

Anyone have an idea of what I'm blathering on about?

scott

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 02:42:13 pm »
Well I finished up Elfen Lied last night. It is pretty brutal but I didn't mind. I enjoyed it.

@darko What did you think of the ending? It kind of left me with a big wtf look on my face. I want to read the manga now, but I can't seem to find any info on an English release...

btw, if you haven't you should watch GANTZ if you want to see some brutality, ha.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 03:00:09 pm »
What did you think of the ending? It kind of left me with a big wtf look on my face. I want to read the manga now, but I can't seem to find any info on an English release...

Yeah, I think they could have closed things up a little better. They were obviously leaving everything open for another season.

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 03:22:52 pm »
What did you think of the ending? It kind of left me with a big wtf look on my face. I want to read the manga now, but I can't seem to find any info on an English release...

Yeah, I think they could have closed things up a little better. They were obviously leaving everything open for another season.

The manga is bigger, mainly because the anime series was started before the manga was finished.  There are quite a few characters in the manga that were left out of the anime series.  I don't recall ever seeing an English translation of the manga, but I cheated: I found a Spanish translation!

jobocan

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 08:14:34 pm »
I've been blasting through Steins;Gate in the last few days... It's actually pretty cool. But then again I love stories about time travel. It starts out kinda wacky, but it explores some interesting time travel theories and it does become quite serious as it goes on.
Also, it's loosely based on an event back in 2000 on the internet where someone posted on various forums claiming to have been from the future (search for "John Titor", it's rather strange).

scott

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 09:22:54 pm »
Interesting, I just read the wiki on him. What a total nut case, ha.

jobocan

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 10:07:24 pm »
Interesting, I just read the wiki on him. What a total nut case, ha.

Yeah... we'll see in 4 years if the World War he "predicted" happens :P I just think it was some guy having a bit of fun on the internet.
But yeah, knowing about the guy before watching Steins;Gate isn't required, I just think it's a nice touch to include this internet "event" in the show's narrative.

darko

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 11:02:36 am »
In random anime news, apparently there is a Persona 4 anime coming soon: Link

desocietas

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 09:55:29 pm »
In random anime news, apparently there is a Persona 4 anime coming soon: Link

Ooo, I appreciate that it's the same art director and composer!  Sometimes I burn myself out on the Persona stuff, but right now I want it all.  Thanks for posting the link!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 01:50:42 am »
Hm, didn't know about this one... Anyone have any thoughts/interesting info?  Do you think I'd need to watch Brotherhood or the other film before I see this one?  http://sffs.org/content.aspx?catid=8,38,992&pageid=2486
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2011, 10:14:34 am »
That one is part of the Brotherhood version. But I'm sure it's filled with badassness. The way that article reads makes it sound like it's just a side story, unlike Conqueror of Shamballa which acted as a finale to the series.

desocietas

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 02:45:15 pm »
Thanks, @scott!  Though now I just got word about a docfest in town that includes, amongst other things of interest, a documentary on the 2010 Tetris Championships.  I think a lot of my movie-going money will be going to this festival...

I'm getting this in the mail soon!  I paid less than $8 (including shipping) on eBay... which is good because I've owned it before and didn't want to pay a lot to replace it.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 07:36:24 pm »
Ooh I heard about that film, I've been meaning to watch it. Off topic I know, But @desocietas have you watched King of Kong? The documentary on Steve Weibe going after the Donkey Kong high score?

desocietas

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 09:27:28 pm »
@scott, King of Kong is soooo good.  What does Billy have to be such a d%uche?  I love nerdy documentaries and am definitely looking forward to the Tetris one.

Ha, love this bit from Wikipedia:
[Director] Gordon has claimed to have painted Billy Mitchell as a lighter character than his real life persona concerning the movie. Gordon also claims that Billy Mitchell is "so much worse than we painted him out to be," but he chose to only include scenes that were necessary to tell the story, because the movie would have been "darker" had he not played with the facts.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas