Author Topic: Buy It / Don't Buy It?  (Read 3871 times)

desocietas

Re: Buy It / Don't Buy It? (or Should We Start Rating Games?)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 04:15:32 pm »
Ok, got some Gamefly dollars I gotta use before the end of tomorrow... Help me pick out one of these!

After the discount:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (XBOX 360): $15.19 used
Sonic Generations (XBOX 360): $7.99 used

Things to consider:
- I own FF XIII on PS3 (but I don't have a PS3 right now) and never got around to getting past the 20-hour threshold necessary to "enjoy" the game
- I don't really like platformers and really just played the first one or two levels of Sonic (Genesis) when I was young.  My favorite parts of the Sonic series were the bonus pinball stages and multiplayer (which this one does not have outside of racing).

Any thoughts?  Maybe there are other games on sale worth my money and Gamefly dollars?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jobocan

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 04:53:36 pm »
Frankly I'd go with Sonic Generations. It's an amazing game.  It may even get you into platformers! And you're getting it for super cheap anyways.

FFXIII-2 is also really good though... But I'd say it's only worth it if you really enjoy the battle system in XIII, since it's very much the same here (there are minor differences, but nothing really noticeable). It does improve on just about every problematic aspect of XIII though, so I'd probably give it a chance eventually if you like the fighting in XIII.

madmax

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 05:01:26 pm »
I'd say Final Fantasy but I am a little biased :P That 20 hour buffer on the first game really does hurt the series though :(

jcalder8

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 05:20:49 pm »
I would go with FF just because you said you don't like platformers.

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:02 am »
Sweet, I think I'll go with ... FF?  I figure I'll buy Generations eventually as the price has been going down pretty steadily.  FF XIII-2 will probably hover around its current price (lowest I've seen is maybe $25?) for a while.

I feel bad that I'll have FF XIII on PS3 and FF XIII-2 on 360, but hey, that's how it goes.  Will probably never get a PS3 before the next gen on consoles comes out (though the rumors are saying the next PS console will likely not have backwards compatibility with the PS3?).

Do you think I'll need to have played XIII before playing XIII-2?  Or is it a pretty separate story?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

jobocan

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 11:52:45 am »
Do you think I'll need to have played XIII before playing XIII-2?  Or is it a pretty separate story?

The ending of XIII is pretty important, but that's really about it, and even then you get that info within the game. For the most part the game does well to give you the information you need.

desocietas

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 12:13:24 pm »

The ending of XIII is pretty important, but that's really about it, and even then you get that info within the game. For the most part the game does well to give you the information you need.

Sweet, good to know.  Thanks, all, for your advice!  Much appreciated :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 04:02:44 pm »
Ok, a few days left on this BIN... buy it / don't buy it?  haven't figured out the usual going rate for this item yet...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170846819021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 04:14:07 pm »
Ok, a few days left on this BIN... buy it / don't buy it?  haven't figured out the usual going rate for this item yet...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170846819021?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hmm. I'm not sure. I know I paid $15 a piece for my Complete GBA Castlevania games (except the Dual Pack), they have all the inserts as well. I'd say it may be worth it for Pokemon Pinball R&S too.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 05:35:53 pm »
I forgot I'm already bidding on a copy that has the manual, game, case and no extra inserts for $6 (winning so far)... and that auction ends before the BIN does.  So we'll see what happens in a few days.

Thanks for the input!

I'm looking into Pokemon Pinball (the one with Pikachu on the front), but the prices are all over the place for it.  Hopefully I won't have to pay over $15 for that one, but I keep seeing it for $25+ so far.  It's got a Rumble Pak - do those have a tendency to stop working?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 02:25:57 am »
Toys 'R' Us just emailed a coupon for a free Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Stater Pack with purchase of a Giants Starter Pack (Wii)...

I don't own it yet and wasn't sure if this was a good deal or not.  Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on which console it'd be best for?  I don't own a Wii, but I figure I will (or something compatible with Wii games) in the future.  This coupon seems to be only for the Wii version.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 02:28:10 pm »
I'd like to see /100 rather than /5.

My 2 cents.

darko

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 04:06:37 pm »
Has anyone spent any amount of time with Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow on the DS? I messed around with the game for about 30 minutes the other day and it seemed pretty decent. Just looking for a little more input before I buy it and find out 2 hours in that it's total garbage.

jcalder8

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 05:20:00 pm »
My sister-in-law is a big RPG gamer and she enjoyed playing through Blue Dragon on the DS, I haven't tried it myself though.

desocietas

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 05:45:15 pm »
I thought I'd eventually get it for the DS, but the reviews from Metacritic have been so varied, I haven't picked it up yet.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas