Author Topic: Video game inflation  (Read 1360 times)

Video game inflation
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:52:58 am »
So I found a page based on the inflation of retro games https://www.facebook.com/retrogamesareoverpriced?ref=hl  seems pretty cool so if anyone is interested I def recommend it. 

sin2beta

Re: Video game inflation
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »
At one point, I collected Nintendo. Not anymore... Inflation hits certain systems and areas more than others. Nintendo and Sony go for a lot.

My suggestion, get big collections just as the generation leaves. The people I know who have huge collections get the bulk when the systems/generations are neglected. Smart people have already got most of their XBox, Gamecube, and PS2 games. The prices on these are skyrocketing. It's nearing the end of opportunity on those. Racketboy recently made a list of rare and expensive Gamecube games... the jump in prices is insane. Start on PS3, Wii, and 360 now.

I posted something similar to the following before:

360/PS3/wii = mega cheap
XBox/Gamecube/PS2 = starting to rise
Dreamcast/PSOne/N64 = What games are actually rare is solidifying
SNES/Genesis = Prices are beginning to level out with just a few expensive games fluctuating (i.e. Earthbound)
NES/SMS = Fairly stable pricing
Atari/Coleco/Intellivision = Very stable pricing

The above is not really inflation. More of the invisible hand of the market. But Nintendo's and Sony's price rises are more similar to inflation. However, I would almost call it extortion. If game collecting bursts... it will be Nintendo and Sony prices affected most. I don't see a huge rise in SEGA, Microsoft, Atari etc. I can still go to tables even after resellers and pick SEGA games up for a buck a piece. There are just a few rare examples, usually known on Nintendo (Mega Man for game gear due to mega man collectors, Crusader of Centy which is mostly known for being a Zelda clone, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps) These are mostly games people know from Nintendo thus you have Nintendo collectors going after these. When I see a high prices SEGA game, it probably is one of the few titles of the series not on Nintendo or Sony platforms. Panzer Dragoon Saga is a rare exception but is legitimately both rare and good.

Anyways, this mainly turned into a rant. The site is good. Funny too. I like the picture of the nerdy kid stating he got some good picks at Goodwill: Donkey kong 64 for $25.  ;D
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:40:00 pm »
This page is pretty cool. Big gripe of mine is the Flea Market and thrift store sellers doing the Ebay Consult.  :o

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:51:43 pm »
At one point, I collected Nintendo. Not anymore... Inflation hits certain systems and areas more than others. Nintendo and Sony go for a lot.

My suggestion, get big collections just as the generation leaves. The people I know who have huge collections get the bulk when the systems/generations are neglected. Smart people have already got most of their XBox, Gamecube, and PS2 games. The prices on these are skyrocketing. It's nearing the end of opportunity on those. Racketboy recently made a list of rare and expensive Gamecube games... the jump in prices is insane. Start on PS3, Wii, and 360 now.

360/PS3/wii = mega cheap
SNES/Genesis = Prices are beginning to level out with just a few expensive games fluctuating (i.e. Earthbound)

The above is not really inflation. More of the invisible hand of the market. But Nintendo's and Sony's price rises are more similar to inflation. However, I would almost call it extortion. If game collecting bursts... it will be Nintendo and Sony prices affected most. I don't see a huge rise in SEGA, Microsoft, Atari etc. I can still go to tables even after resellers and pick SEGA games up for a buck a piece. There are just a few rare examples, usually known on Nintendo (Mega Man for game gear due to mega man collectors, Crusader of Centy which is mostly known for being a Zelda clone, Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps) These are mostly games people know from Nintendo thus you have Nintendo collectors going after these. When I see a high prices SEGA game, it probably is one of the few titles of the series not on Nintendo or Sony platforms. Panzer Dragoon Saga is a rare exception but is legitimately both rare and good.

Anyways, this mainly turned into a rant. The site is good. Funny too. I like the picture of the nerdy kid stating he got some good picks at Goodwill: Donkey kong 64 for $25.  ;D

Yea it's an awesome page that is growing it seems.  I also have been collecting a ton of ps2 games since I have seen the prices going up

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:23:40 pm »

360/PS3/wii = mega cheap

then you have computer market ware the value of a game is almost completely random. do you think the computer market will ever be stable?

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:49:53 pm »
then you have computer market ware the value of a game is almost completely random. do you think the computer market will ever be stable?

To be honest, I know nothing about the computer market. That's a whole different beast. So, sadly, couldn't comment.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:32:58 pm »

To be honest, I know nothing about the computer market. That's a whole different beast. So, sadly, couldn't comment.
i'm happy that you know computer market because its miserable market that doesn't seem to stop fluctuating, some of the rarest games can be bought for $5 and some of the most mass produced games can be bought for $900 but both of those prices i given you can change or even swap within an 30 minutes and this is just the tip of the miserable iceberg