Author Topic: Feedback on new item submit form (also searching)  (Read 621 times)

tripredacus

Feedback on new item submit form (also searching)
« on: July 14, 2013, 03:35:14 pm »
So I like the idea that the new submit form looks for the game you are adding to cut down on the duplicates. But there is a problem with this and it relates to how searching works. Let me show some examples.

Searching for NHL 2000 shows the PC and PS releases:
http://vgcollect.com/search/nhl+2000

It however, does NOT show NHL Championship 2000. In fact, NHL Championship 2000 for PS does already exist in the database (incorrectly) as Fox Sports NHL Championship 2000.
http://vgcollect.com/search/nhl+championship+2000

Of course you'll notice a PC version in those results, that's because I just added it. Here is where the problem with the search on adding the items come in. When I added NHL Championship 2000 (for PC) it did a search for the game to make sure there you aren't adding a duplicate. The problem is that it did NOT find the existing Playstation one, which you'd figure it would since it finds it with the manual search.

I won't edit the incorrectly named Playstation entry as it may invalidate my report. To be specific, the product should be named the way I did in the PC version, where the "Fox Sports" part is the secondary name. And no, I don't know why the PC version has a Sony part number. ;)

foxhack

Re: Feedback on new item submit form (also searching)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:53:17 pm »
The searches appear to use the words you enter as a string.

So "King of Fighters" would search for all KOF games, but search for "King Fighters" won't.

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:31:48 pm »
It actually occurred to me that when it searches for duplicates, it may only search in the product type you are trying to add. So if I add a PC game, it searches PC games with that name only, which would explain why it doesn't show the Playstation game.

matt

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:43:22 am »
It actually occurred to me that when it searches for duplicates, it may only search in the product type you are trying to add. So if I add a PC game, it searches PC games with that name only, which would explain why it doesn't show the Playstation game.

This is true.

Once I get everything else up and running (feed, bugs, etc) the next big update will be a new search engine. I'm exploring other products that will do better full-text searches as well as be able to provide suggestion for typos and similar item names.