Author Topic: Listing Change = Collector Notification  (Read 656 times)

Listing Change = Collector Notification
« on: July 20, 2013, 08:29:56 pm »
I'll try to write this up as best I can but it's hard to explain without it sounding like chaos lol.

If an Admin or maybe User adjusts/adds a listing that relates to an item in a person's collection, the person would receive (hopefully in a automated process) a notification asking them to clarify the item in your collection.

Example Situation:
A user comes along and sees there is no Super Mario World in the database. The user adds a listing called "Super Mario World" with artwork. 50 other people come along and add Super Mario World to their collection. A new user goes to add Super Mario World to his collection and notices that the artwork on the listing doesn't match his cartridge. The original listing has the title on two lines of text while his has the title on one line. He adds a "Super Mario World (Single Line Text)" listing to the database. Now the database has two listings for Super Mario World but only the one has a listing title specifying the detail.

Suggestion:
Admins or User should then be able to change that original listing from "Super Mario World" to "Super Mario World (Two Line Text)" and the (hopefully automated) system would then notify everyone who has that original listing in their collection to say something like "Hey, this item you have has been changed. Please check to see if you need to make a change to your collection." more or less.

The game I ran into that brought this idea up was Diablo II: Lord of Destruction [PC NA].. There is one standard listing with a bunch of people on it. While going through and adding stuff from my games I realized there is a Big Box retail version and a newer Small Box retail version. Both with minor differences and different UPCs and ISBNs. I was instructed not to adjust the original listing because it is already in other peoples collections. So the other option was leaving the original vague listing alone and adding separate (Big Box) and (Small Box) listings.

My concern is this just creating unnecessary duplicates in the database in the long term. And maybe in other ways it can show people variations in a game that they hadn't been aware of in the past (like the Super Mario World title situation in my case) which I find fun and interesting.

TL;DR Automated messaging system to let Users know when a game they have has been adjusted.  ;D

tripredacus

Re: Listing Change = Collector Notification
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 02:03:32 pm »
Rather than doing a bulk notification, perhaps a little flag on an item while in the Collection view, showing that an item had been edited within the past 7 days.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »
That might be pretty hard to miss for those of us who have large collections.

matt

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:53 pm »
I really like this idea. Once I get the feed up and running - which should be later this week, we may be able to incorporate something like this into it.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:48:35 am »
This is definitely a good idea....  I can see how this would easily affect my collection....