Author Topic: best place to find used games?  (Read 1081 times)

best place to find used games?
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:23 pm »
i read forums from different sites and people are saying swap meets, flea markets, thrift stores. I live in the la area and went to a few. some sellers jack up the price and when i try to haggle, they wonnt give in. one seller tried to sell me a loose sega saturn for $350. i'm reading other peoples post saying they got 20+ nes games and a boxed nes system for like $40. where is a good place to find these deals?

Re: best place to find used games?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:20:23 pm »
ive been buying mine from pawn stores ($8 a game and buy 3 get 4th free) it doesnt matter what the title is
and facebook yard sale sites

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 01:43:45 pm »
i read forums from different sites and people are saying swap meets, flea markets, thrift stores. I live in the la area and went to a few. some sellers jack up the price and when i try to haggle, they wonnt give in. one seller tried to sell me a loose sega saturn for $350. i'm reading other peoples post saying they got 20+ nes games and a boxed nes system for like $40. where is a good place to find these deals?
350 dollars?

What, was it made out of gold or something?

soera

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »
Deals can be had anywhere if you are at the right place at the right time. Its tougher than it was years ago but you can still get lucky. Any venue that can sell games has the potential. Ive found good snags at thrift stores, pawn stores, flea market, even game store chains.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:27 pm »
always check DVDs/CDs being how there's a chance games might of slipped in and you'll get them for a buck or two that's how I got games like Silent Hill, Road Rash, Sword of the Beserk, and Power Stone
also this might seem odd know about defects the system might have and use that to your advantage to get the price down I'm just saying I've played the "needs a new 72-pin connector" card to get deals on a NES a few times for me and a few friends... just saying

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:28:16 pm »
Also pawn shops, i found original xbox games for $1 at one pawn shop (some disk only but some was complete). When you hit a flea market and the booth is from a reseller, try to find games that aren't the recognized ones (marios, zeldas, metroids, etc) there you can find good deals. For example I got Conkers bad furday (xbox), phantasy star online (gamecube), mystical ninja (snes), Star wars old republic 2 (xbox), the warriors (ps2) and other ones that i dont remember now for only $5. For the thrift store, mehhh, in my country there arnt a lot of it, but i got a ds with mario ds for only $5, but is hard to find something there. Also, go to dvd selling store (electronic department store, etc) sometimes there have games between the movies, I got metal arms (xbox) for $1 and the game was in the dvd section.

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:11:45 pm »
I seem to be one of the few people who seems to have luck with it. But I have a decent time with eBay. I'm in a somewhat better position in that I collect Sega instead of Nintendo. This makes eBay easier. But for a long time I would only search for auctions less than $1.50 and were lots. You don't find a lot. And be prepared to get outbid a lot. That's fine. It just means you are not overpaying. But when you do win, you get good deals. This is how I obtained Tails Adventure and Shining Force for the Game Gear. Sure it's no Panzer Dragoon Saga. But I would get about 5 games for $5 shipped and with a few gems.

Flea Markets are still a good place for deals, but depending on what you look for. I go to Traders Village in DFW (which is picked over due to being on GameChasers regularly). I hardly ever find NES games at good prices. But I find XBox games out the Wazoo. A few weeks ago I bought a system and about 20 games for $30. And it's because people don't want to collect for it yet, you still have people getting rid of them who are resellers, etc. Think about how old the NES is... it's past the time of people cleaning out their closet and finally getting rid of that Nintendo they never play anymore. It's coming up on 30 years old.

Also, after a little while, you get into the rhythm of it. When I decided to start collecting for the Japanese Saturn, I thought I'd have a hell of a time. But now, I've got a backlog of about 20 games in the last couple of weeks, I need to put on the site. This is because I found Sunday is a damn good day for import Saturn eBaying. People will sell 100 games individually with starting bids at $0.01. Buy several and combine ship. I have gotten great games for pennies and a few bucks combine shipped. I got Magic Knight Rayearth for 11 cents + $2 combine ship.

Also, learn how to repair systems. Clean games. Etc.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

blipcs76

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 10:29:09 am »
For myself, it's been garage sales and to a lesser extent, thrift stores.  The problem with thrift stores in particular are that everyone can look up the value of games with their phones and it makes finding rare and or valuable games in those places a lot harder.  Pawn shops can also be a good source, especially low-traffic pawn shops.  I found a loose Shadowrun (SNES) for $6 at a pawn shop that looked like all they sold was saddles and guns, so you just never know.

Flea markets are also supposedly pretty great, if you have them in your area.  We don't have them here in Nebraska.